Anthem - Gameplay Demo Video

Their roots in SP RPG? Both BG's had even IWD's had multiplayer. Of all the IE engine games, PS:T was SP only and this was cited as one of the reasons for its failure.
The key difference was the MP was not the selling point but optional.:)
Am I arguing semantics here? Do people only consider DA and ME as Bioware's "roots". That would make sense for 20 something console game reviewers.
Well if we're gamers over 30 we're old by the younger generation
The word "apologist" comes to mind.
The article reads like it comes from magazine site. I recall Bioware gave "gaming journalists" free trips to Edmonton (probably included hotels) to show their latest games in the past so I am wonder if this is what she is hoping for.
I agree that's why I called her a shill like most of the E3 articles on this game. It's starting to remind me of all the paid advertising/previews for Destiny on most websites.

As Destiny was praised by every major website and the naysayers were silenced. Then came all the positive reviews with backlash on Youtube. It's the same with Anthem.:roll:

Update : I forget to add Titan Fall with Destiny in my reply but forgot.

Last edited:

“Yes, the bullet-sponginess and number-hosing of Destiny is strong with this one, or seems to be. Much of the ‘hands-off demo’ I saw only confirmed that Anthem is closely following the template set by Bungie’s shared-world shooter. Drop into a fantastical universe and get suited, booted and shooted with friends, all while a story happens in the periphery. During EA’s press conference, the developers enthused that story was more important to Anthem than simply offering background to a series of dungeons. But the dialogue of the cutscenes and chatter during the mission itself suggests that it again follows Destiny, right down to the impenetrable lore nonsense and silly nomenclature. It’s still not clear what an ‘Anthem’ is.”

To me I cant believe you actually like or support this abomination

I play a few MMORPGs totally solo already you know…

I like mecha, I like flying in games, I find the environmental/fauna design great, the combat reminds me of MEA which I liked, it support soloing the story content and it's going to have a codex and lots of lore. I'm not sure why I shouldn't be interest in Anthem personally. I want to try it before saying I like it though.

Saying that, I find the "single player story with co-op-able missions with shared open world state*" design super weird.

*if it is raining and night in your game, it's raining and night in everyone else game.

I play a few MMORPGs totally solo already you know…

I like mecha, I like flying in games, I find the environmental/fauna design great, the combat reminds me of MEA which I liked, it support soloing the story content and it's going to have a codex and lots of lore. I'm not sure why I shouldn't be interest in Anthem personally. I want to try it before saying I like it though.

Saying that, I find the "single player story with co-op-able missions with shared open world state*" design super weird.

*if it is raining and night in your game, it's raining and night in everyone else game.
Let's agree to disagree then as I despise MMOs & persistent online games.:)

Let's agree to disagree then as I despise MMOs & persistent online games.:)

Eh, why? It's simply another's person's entertainment and I doubt we'll see a new trend here ( given the cost to make these things).
Live and let live, unless we're dealing with bankers and codexians.

Eh, why? It's simply another's person's entertainment and I doubt we'll see a new trend here ( given the cost to make these things).
Live and let live, unless we're dealing with bankers and codexians.

What's wrong with bankers?

I'll just add that when I say Destiny clone - I don't mean it's EXACTLY like Destiny - only with another name.

I mean it's a Destiny clone like Grim Dawn is a Diablo clone. I mean, there's sure to be a ton of little differences here and there - and maybe they've done something significant and different that I'm just not seeing. No, I don't mean wearing a suit instead of picking a class - or having more verticality. Those things are not "big and significant" to my mind.

To me, games like Destiny, Division, Hellgate London, Warframe, Borderlands 2 and, now, Anthem - are all essentially the same game in different forms.

That's because I look at games from a bird's eye perspective. I look at the over-arching design paradigm - and not the nuances that ultimately won't change the core of what these games do and how they keep you entertained.

Some people call these games looter shooters - others call them MMO lites. There are many names, I guess.

But they all share the following key ingredients:

They're cooperative multiplayer
They're primarily about shooting stuff
They involve character progression
They have a heavy emphasis on loot

I'd say those are the key ingredients, more or less.

To me, it doesn't matter if you see other players roaming around the world or not.

What matters is that the VAST majority of the game is designed around solo or cooperative gameplay.

In Destiny, it's true that you see other players in the world - and you can take part in some dynamic events with them - but you're not really interacting with them in any way. It's a bunch of strangers that might as well be NPCs for all the socializing you're doing with them.

Hellgate London only had other non-party members visible in hub areas.

Borderlands 2 was strictly party coop without a lobby or other players running around.

Division is the same as Hellgate - in that you only see other players in safe areas - apart from your party members.

But they're all the same basic game in terms of what you do and how they keep you interested. You shoot/kill stuff and you collect loot - and you progress your character.

That's pretty much it.

As for the whole hating MMOs on principle thing, that's something I will leave to others. It makes no sense to me at all, but it's not a problem for me what people like or dislike.

Just don't expect me to agree with it for no rational reason, is all ;)

The gameplay looks awesome and fluid. Visuals are great too.

I wont buy it, but the premature hatejerk seems completely unjustified.

Sigh no no……..I wont respond……with what I was going to say. :disappointed:

Not worth it on the internet anymore.

So this premature hatejerk is done. Moving on.:)

I don't like suits. Both money suits and suits that you can climb into. For some reason I find mecha stuff very childish. No offence to those who like it, the power rangers started that hate in me.

The numbers galore completely set the tone for me. Even the fact that you can turn it off doesn't invalidate the design that goes behind it. It's like a bad taste refusing to go away. That said, i hope being proven wrong and I always remain open to the final product. We all know cdpr is the new BioWare.

The numbers galore completely set the tone for me. Even the fact that you can turn it off doesn't invalidate the design that goes behind it. It's like a bad taste refusing to go away. That said, i hope being proven wrong and I always remain open to the final product. We all know cdpr is the new BioWare.

?.? What does floating damage (what you call numbers galore) has to do with game design and tone? I mean outside the game using machine guns which is going to result in faster number popping then in games with swords.

Because, that feature has been in the majority of the RPGs I played in the last 10 years, from Dragon Age Origins to Divinity Original Sin, a bunch of JRPGs, Pillars of Eternity and The Witcher 3. It's also announced for Cyberpunk 2077, so I'm not sure you are bringing up CDPR in the right context.

For the record, I hate that feature and I always turn it off when I can…and it's everywhere.

I wont buy it, but the premature hatejerk seems completely unjustified.
It's a multiplayer loot-focused cash-milking shooter for the kids, from a developer that used to make the sort of games this site is actually focused on, and some of the most popular ones at that. It's easy to see why there is a "hatejerk", and it's pretty justified I'd say - within the context of this site, of course.

It looks pretty and seems to be all about it. I saw nothing interesting apart maybe from the verticality.
What I found especially appalling was the total lack of challenge. Just point your gun, watch damage numbers for a few seconds, rinse, repeat.

What I found especially appalling was the total lack of challenge. Just point your gun, watch damage numbers for a few seconds, rinse, repeat.

I don't think you can judge how challenging a game is based on an alpha gameplay demo.

It's a multiplayer loot-focused cash-milking shooter for the kids.

Looks like a triple AAA action-RPG with optional multiplayer to me.

What makes it so bad relative to other mindless hack and slash ARPGs, besides the fact that the gameplay and visuals are obviously on another level?

Looks like a triple AAA action-RPG with optional multiplayer to me.
No online is not optional as it's a server based game.;)

If you go by the original standard of whats an mmo then yes.

I want this game to fail hard but I know the MMO fans of Destiny and Titan Fall will flock to this game. I even fear that DA:4 will be some type of live service game also.

Seriously this is the new trend of Triple AAA games and I despise it.

I think we heard you Couch :)
Yes but you have to keep reminding certain members who can't read.:biggrin:

hc97hZ7.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom