What games are you playing now?

It doesn't take that long to reach him :)

Don't jinx it now!
Warning: Bloody Baron has two outcomes.

Its one of the best quest lines in the game.:happycry:
Yes, make sure you pick up the pointless treasure at all the POIs in the Skellige Islands… NOT!
My gaming OCD compels me to to visit every ? mark.

Took me a few days to visit everyone of them. So turn them off.

Warning: Bloody Baron has two outcomes.

Its one of the best quest lines in the game.:happycry:

I've seen them both, I think.

Yes, it's a very good quest. I also love the Keira Metz quests leading up to it - and the ones after.

Plus.... Keira is pretty hot :)

Also, is this the mod you mentioned? https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2521/

I thought about trying it the next time I play, but I'm not sure if I like all the changes. Too bad it's not modular.

Yes, make sure you pick up the pointless treasure at all the POIs in the Skellige Islands… NOT!

I never understood why anyone would play with that feature turned on. Well, I guess the generation that was raised on games like GTA, etc, probably likes it.

Also, is this the mod you mentioned? https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2521/

I thought about trying it the next time I play, but I'm not sure if I like all the changes. Too bad it's not modular.

Nope. This is the one: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1112

I never understood why anyone would play with that feature turned on. Well, I guess the generation that was raised on games like GTA, etc, probably likes it.

Well, the problem isn't really the feature itself - it's the OCD of having to see them all.

That wouldn't be a problem if the PoIs were interesting to do. But since the vast majority of them are not, it sort of kills your enthusiasm if you're into freeform exploration.

Well, at least that's what happens to me. Same thing happens to me in Ubisoft games.

Problem is that if you turn it off - you have to get really, really close to spot them - so you're going to miss out on a ton of XP.

I would have preferred a middle-ground - where they would be visible at a greater distance, but not on the map as question marks.

Problem is that if you turn it off - you have to get really, really close to spot them - so you're going to miss out on a ton of XP.

I would have preferred a middle-ground - where they would be visible at a greater distance, but not on the map as question marks.

Hmm I don't remember that being an issue, but it's been a few years since I played. I thought most PoIs became visible after reading the job boards.

I never had a problem with not having enough XP though.

Hmm I don't remember that being an issue, but it's been a few years since I played. I thought most PoIs became visible after reading the job boards.

I never had a problem with not having enough XP though.

They don't become visible unless you have the feature turned on :)

At least, not in the version I'm playing.

So, it's either "map full of markers" or "mostly empty map".

Oh, I don't "need" the XP - I just enjoy optimising my performance and being efficient.

It's a big part of my enjoyment with games.

But I know Witcher 3 is different - and I've had to learn to play it in a very different way.

That's why I focus on story quests now, instead of all the open world exploration stuff.

Ah ok. I was thinking of the actual quests from the job boards. The PoIs are different. Those pop up when you get with a certain proximity.

I prefer finding them on my own, but I get that not everyone likes having to hunt for them.

Witcher 3 was the first game I did not "complete" because of those pointless POIs. It was the beginning of game apathy for me.

Let me rephrase that. Completionist apathy.

Probably a good thing, right?

Let me rephrase that. Completionist apathy.

Probably a good thing, right?

Yes. Especially with the focus on achievements and checklists game designs these days (like collections where you have to find crap in mission levels to unlock stuff).

"Completionist apathy" - yeah, that's a thing for me as well.

I usually go out of my way to "do it all" - in an effort to "experience the game to its fullest" - only to run out of steam way before it's all over.

I've yet to figure out how to deal with that, because I don't think it's enjoyable to just skip a ton of potentially interesting content when you're in the honeymoon phase of playing a game for the first time.

You don't actually know if it's "worth it" until you've established that it's not worth it - and by then it may be too late.

I still love huge games, because I don't want a game that I'm loving to end. I just don't know how to approach them.

I admire someone like Maylander who can just go through them almost like a robot - and still enjoy them.

I don't have that talent, unfortunately.

I kind of hate games divided into chapters where locations and quests become unavailable once you finish a chapter. I often find out later that I missed an interesting quest or a useful item. That's why I can't bring myself to finish Witcher 1 or to replay Neverwinter Nights. Every time I try, I spend way too much time hunting down all the quests, characters, and items in Chapter 1 and then get exhausted and want to play something else.
I find that Bethesda style of exploration and quest acquisition where you can run around the world for days, finish the main quest, and the come back to the starting town and pick up quests there suits me best.

I kind of hate games divided into chapters where locations and quests become unavailable once you finish a chapter. I often find out later that I missed an interesting quest or a useful item. That's why I can't bring myself to finish Witcher 1 or to replay Neverwinter Nights. Every time I try, I spend way too much time hunting down all the quests, characters, and items in Chapter 1 and then get exhausted and want to play something else.
I find that Bethesda style of exploration and quest acquisition where you can run around the world for days, finish the main quest, and the come back to the starting town and pick up quests there suits me best.

Interesting. I'm the exact opposite when it comes to getting burned-out on a game. I find myself getting exhausted more often in the larger open world games.

I think it makes sense though. The larger the game world the more likely people will burn out before finishing. Content density and variety also play a large part.

Octopath Traveler.
Stupid name, great game. It has the "seckrit ingrideant" that sadly so lacking in any new, high-profile RPG I've played recently: heart & soul.
God bless the Japanese game devs.

Mind giving quick summary about the game and why you are enjoying it please? Also would like to know what it has which many of the high-profile RPG doesn't have.

Anyway I have to say, the game garbed my attention due to the odd name!

Interesting. I'm the exact opposite when it comes to getting burned-out on a game. I find myself getting exhausted more often in the larger open world games.

I think it makes sense though. The larger the game world the more likely people will burn out before finishing. Content density and variety also play a large part.

Yeah, but if I knew I could get back to an area any time in the future, I wouldn't spend as much time on it, and I wouldn't finish every single quest out of fear that I will miss some interesting dialogue or a useful quest reward. I can follow the main quest without fear of something becoming unavailable at some point.

It seems I really hit a sweet spot with my little mod collection for Witcher 3. Enjoying it immensely - and there's no denying it's an incredibly beautiful game.

It's also the first time I've been able to run it at max settings with zero slowdowns during the larger fights - which helps my enjoyment quite a bit.

Also, the quests are amazing - but that's nothing new.

Gotta love mods ;)

Back
Top Bottom