What are you reading?

Yesterday I finished book eight in the Iron Druid Chronicles, Staked. With three established druids in the world now, and hopefully more on the way at some point, each book usually has a story or two from each of the full fledged druids. It's refreshing to see some perspectives from the student's point of view, and then equally to see what an old arch-druid thinks of the new world that he's been dumped into. On top of the novels, there are also a few authorized short stories I've been catching myself up on. I believe now I only have one book to go in the series, and then I'll likely check out some other books that this author has penned.

I've been reading the ninth book of the Iron Druid Chronicles, Scourged, on and off for about two weeks now. I know I'm meandering just because when I finish this book, the series will be over. =xxx

In light of my recent visit to Oxford and my pilgrimage to Tolkien's grave, I've started a re-read of the entire Middle-earth legendarium. Finished the epic Silmarillion and the Children of Hurin, and am about halfway through the Hobbit. After that, the big one (Lord of the Rings), followed by Unfinished Tales.

I just bought myself today

The Fall Of Gondolin

one of the earliest tales of J.R.R.Tolkien.

I think it is even mentioned in LOTR, but there are very few left in Middlearth at that time who might recound that tale … and even fewer to remember it …

Of the elves in ME at the end of the Third Age, that would be Galadriel and Celeborn, and Cirdan the Shipwright that were "alive" at the time. That's it. Potentially Treebeard, depending on how much the ents would come into contact with other races, and who knows what old Tom (Bombadil) knows…

I've actually just purchased both the "Fall of Gondolin" and "Beren and Luthien" (the deluxe slipcase edition ofc :)) as a Christmas present for myself, so will be reading those too.
From what I understand they're indeed different from "The Children of Hurin", which was one fairly cohesive story. Christopher followed the evolution of the story, of the different versions and manuscripts, rather than attempt to present one narrative: in a way, you could say it's the story of the stories.

One day, I had this really weird thought :

That Tolkien was actually the last of the Istari, because no-one else wold have known so much of these old days …

These days, by the way, I'm reading book 5 (I didn't buy the other ones yet) of "Phoebe and her Unicorn". It's a fun read ! :lol:

I finally finished the ninth book in the Iron Druid Chronicles. It didn't finish as strongly as I'd hoped, but then again, most series do tend to lose something in the long run. It is a series well worth owning, and I look forward to rereading them all many times in the future.

Two days ago I picked up a book entitled Remote Viewing, basically covering the science and how it functions. I'm not sure it's something I could ever actually do, but I am enjoying reading about the process and how it all came about years ago.

That was me commenting on Ready Player One a few days ago, likely the issue is my own because I run into it often. I think I just get an idea of how the book should translate on screen and when it looks different, I just don't care for it. I'd be interested in other opinions. =)

That's ok - i'll read it as long as it is a good book :)

That was me commenting on Ready Player One a few days ago, likely the issue is my own because I run into it often. I think I just get an idea of how the book should translate on screen and when it looks different, I just don't care for it. I'd be interested in other opinions. =)

Which book and is it a good book that happens to have adult content or a book with nothing but adult content ?
All of his books have adult content as he writes male power fantasy. He basically takes one man & places him in a fantasy or future setting, and gives him a harem.

Three of his better book series.

Dragon Slayer
Chicago firefighter Ethan DePaolo expected to die when a flaming building collapsed on him during a rescue. Instead, he was teleported away by the watchful god of a fantasy world and asked to be a hero once more.

Armed with magic tattoos and his trusty fireman’s axe, Ethan sets out to rid this new world of the dragon scourge. But when his magic works in unexpected ways, he learns he has unmatched power to dominate his winged serpent enemies
Star Justice
Imprisoned and subjected to brutal genetic experiments, space marine Adam has been changed into a perfect predator. A super soldier that is part man, part tiger, and all killing machine.

When his latest mission has an unexpected outcome, Adam finds himself free of his explosive control collar and honor bound to protect a mysterious woman. Now he is on an alien planet, and they are both being hunted by the most powerful mega corporation in the solar system. Their only escape lays at the helm of an experimental starship hidden beyond countless layers of military security.

All Adam has is his military training, sense of honor, and a beautiful woman who needs to drink blood to live.

It is time to let the tiger out.
Tamer: King of Dragons
Victor Shelby ends each day wondering when his life is going to get better. His parents are dead, he struggles to pay rent, and his boss at the animal control shelter has him cleaning cages instead of working in the field. His dream of helping animals seems destined to end in a mop bucket.

Then Victor is abducted by aliens and deposited on a prehistoric world filled with hungry dinosaurs and beautiful alien women.

He doesn’t know why he is here or what his purpose is, but he finds himself fighting for survival. Most men would have been lizard kibble in a few moments, but Victor’s natural ability to empathize with animals has grown stronger, and he finds himself able to control the most docile of the terrible lizards.

Victor will have to use his taming powers to provide food, water, and shelter for the three women that he has sworn to protect. Success means they get to live another day, failure means a horrible death in the jaws of Earth’s most deadly predators.

Now finished with Thin Air - Richard K. Morgan.

Good read, although his derelict-super-soldier theme might need a change. ;)

Now, some new Sci-Fi... hrm...

NOS4R2 by Joe Hill. I thought the first half of the book was fantastic, but the second half has dropped off a bit - the more the main villain appears, the less interesting he (and the book) becomes. Still enjoying it though and curious to see what happens at the end, which is always a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom