KoA: Reckoning - Demo 17th, Mass Effect 3 Cross-Promo

Reckoning does have level scaling, but it's done in a range-based system. For example, the Plains of Erathell may be level 12-18 range. If you go there at level 7, it will lock at level 12. If you go there at level 15, it locks at 15, and if you go there at level 20, it locks at 18. Some areas will have significanly more than a 5 level range too. This is coming directly from the developers.

Other interesting "it haves":

It has 1000 unique, hand-made items with their own lore, art, and stats. These are separate from the random loot you pick up in the game.
It has 6 joinable factions.
It has 300 total side quests.
It has at LEAST 200 hours of total play time if you do everything. This has been confirmed by the QA team.
It has 280 armor sets. Yes, 280 sets. That's an unheard of amount of sets of armor.
It has 9 non-combat skills, including Persuasion, Stealth, Lockpicking, Mercantile, and others.
It has multiple options of how to complete quests. Kill the gut and take the item you need, or pick his pocket, or do a quest for him instead.

Those are the most impressive parts of the game off the top of my head.

I'm also getting a strong Divinity 2 vibe with this game. Has the same action-based combat, world exploration, item gathering, etc. As I liked Divinity 2, that's definitely a good thing. I'm also getting more used to the art style, which put me off at first, but now (especially after some of the recent previews) seems more whimsical (storybook) than cartoon-y. It definitely helps their cause releasing a demo for this one, as it's a completely new IP that is only known peripherally by gamers right now.

Reckoning does have level scaling, but it's done in a range-based system. For example, the Plains of Erathell may be level 12-18 range. If you go there at level 7, it will lock at level 12. If you go there at level 15, it locks at 15, and if you go there at level 20, it locks at 18. Some areas will have significanly more than a 5 level range too. This is coming directly from the developers.

So, to clarify, it will be essentially the same as Skyrim/FO3/FNV level scaling except instead of dungeons locking, entire exterior regions of the map will lock?

So, to clarify, it will be essentially the same as Skyrim/FO3/FNV level scaling except instead of dungeons locking, entire exterior regions of the map will lock?

In short, yes. There will be many "zones" of the map that lock to a certain level, and for the rest of the game they stay that level. But the zones are not entire regions. So for example, the Plains of Erathell would be broken up into smaller regions, such as the eastern plains, western, etc, and each of those zones will have it's own level range that locks.

This means you can wander into a zone that is too high level for you, level up a bit and come back and find it is much easier. You can also return to low level zones later in the game and easily kill the enemies there because you are much higher level.

Other interesting "it haves":

It has 1000 unique, hand-made items with their own lore, art, and stats. These are separate from the random loot you pick up in the game.
It has 6 joinable factions.
It has 300 total side quests.
It has at LEAST 200 hours of total play time if you do everything. This has been confirmed by the QA team.
It has 280 armor sets. Yes, 280 sets. That's an unheard of amount of sets of armor.
It has 9 non-combat skills, including Persuasion, Stealth, Lockpicking, Mercantile, and others.
It has multiple options of how to complete quests. Kill the gut and take the item you need, or pick his pocket, or do a quest for him instead.

Those are the most impressive parts of the game off the top of my head.

Aaaaaarrgggghhhhhhhhh... The game can't get here soon enough! :)

I have a bad feeling this game is going to blow but I'm looking forward to the demo. Here is to hoping.

I have a bad feeling this game is going to blow but I'm looking forward to the demo. Here is to hoping.

I'm the opposite. I have great expectations for this one and I'm sure I will not be disappointed.

Normally, I don't give in to hype (which is why Oblivion turned out to be a dud for me) but all I've seen so far for KOA is great!

The xbox demo is 1.9GB!

and looks like people are having fun with it.

Aaaaarrrghhhhh!!!!!!!!! I want my PC Demo :(

I guess it will be up several hours later so i'll only be able to play it tomorrow (6PM here in U.A.E)

Same here, Warmark. It smells strongly of MMO, but I'll still give the demo a try and see if it changes things :)

The xbox demo is 1.9GB!
Isn't that like 10% of the total size of XBox360's hard drive (the original model). It might be that the full XBox version requires multiple DVDs and the XBox-owners will have to swap discs during game. How 1990s! ;)

According to KOA's Facebook page:
Just a quick heads-up that our sites our temporarily down due to high traffic. We are working on a fix! Thank you for your patience.

Well, I'm not surprised :D

Just installed Origin in prep for this demo. A nice surprise is that it was in English. An expected result was that the store was still in Chinese.

At least I got a 15% discount on any released games when I went to the online help and they couldn't help me. Problem is that I can't use it for new releases and there is no way in hell I'm buying anything else on Origin until they fix this problem.

Back
Top Bottom