Your list of favorite NON- CRPGs...

Jaz

Play nice.©
As it is, we have a list of favorite CRPGs and we have a list of the most disappointing games. Do you have favorite games other than CRPGs?

If so, which, and why? It would be nice if you could give the genres of your favorite games, the platform(s) you played them on and the year they were published, if possible, so other readers can get an overview.

I love old adventure games, such as Larry 1-7(excluding 4, as there was no 4), Space Quest 1-6, Monkey Island 1-3 and so on. The reason why I love these games is simple: Great humor!

Other than that I also like certain strategy games like the old C&C games or Warcraft games. My favourite strategy game is probably Civ 2, amazing game with great gameplay.

Nowadays I play generally only CRPGs. I used to play FPS's but I lost interest in them and sometime and don't have nerves to play things like latest DOOM.

FPSs (used to play, gave up totally)
Half-Life (the first one)
Deus Ex (if you consider it FPS)

Strategies (I really prefere turn based games)
All HOMM
Civilization (the two last one)

I usually only play RPG's, but I did enjoy the 4 Monkey Island games!!

You might call me a 'polygamer'; my tastes in games span a wide variety of genres and platforms. Sure, I prefer some genres (shooters, CRPGs, platformers, fighting games, RTSes, adventures, puzzle games) to others, but you might still catch me playing a sports game (for example) if you look hard enough ;). . There is already a topic covering favorite CRPGs over at the General CRPG forum, so I'll refrain from naming those.

Enough of the introductory blah blah. These are among my non-CRPG favorites:

1) Realms of the Haunting (action adventure, 1996, PC): The best ever. A true underdog. The only game that came close in spirit was Undying, but it wasn't as good.

2) Zork: Nemesis (graphical adventure, 1996, PC): The most sober of the Zork games, but it was hauntingly beautiful and atmospheric. I also loved the rest of the series, but none of the others made it into my top …errrm… 15 list.

3) Thief 2 (action adventure, PC): The best of the Thief games. Brilliant. The Children of Karras were… well, they were something, I'm sure of that - I love this game. It kept me on the edge of my seat. But I also loved the other two games, so let's just make this 'The Thief series' instead.

4) Day of Defeat (MP CTF shooter, HalfLife-mod, PC): my favorite WWII-themed MP game. Nerve-wracking CTF action.

5) The Heretic/HeXen series (shooters/action adventures, PC): I just can't decide which one I liked best… I just know it wasn't Heretic II (I'm not partial to the third person perspective, though I must admit their 3rd person solution was close to perfect. Okay, then let's just say I like the Towers of Darkness collection the best, which includes Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Rider, Hexen and Deathkings of the Dark Citadel. I still replay them at least three times a year for a quick fix.

6) The Wolfenstein 3D series (shooters, PC and SNES): I could never stick to my top ten… errr fifteen list if I didn't group some games, even if they were not meant to be grouped, so I have to bundle Wolf 3D, SNES Wolf 3D, Rise of the Triad and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Wolf 3D was the game that convinced me to buy a PC, so here we go.

7) The Doom series (shooters, PC and N64): by which I mean Doom/Ultimate Doom, Doom 2: Hell on Earth, and Final Doom; I hereby officially exclude the N64 Doom and Doom 3. Another set of games I replay regularly.

8) The Unreal/Tournament series (shooter/MP shooters, PC and Xbox): Unreal, Unreal Tournament, UT2004 and Unreal Championship 2. I won't include Unreal 2 or the first Championship for a variety of reasons (meaning, I'm too lazy to explain).

9) The Tekken series (fighting games, Arcade and Playstation): I ran into the first Tekken (on arcade) during a vacation. I fell in love with Jack, and I'm still in love.

10) The SoulBlade/SoulCalibur series (fighting games, arcade, PSX, Dreamcast and Xbox): My favorite armed fighting games. Love the Katas.

11) The Diamond Mine type games (puzzle games, for every platform under the sun): by which I mean Diamond Mine, Columns, Bejeweled et. al. All that glitters may not be gold, but if it also explodes… all the better.

12) The Kyrandia series (adventure, PC): Kyrandia 3 is my favorite part - thanks to Malcolm, the grumpy protagonist, and the studio audience.

13) The Turrican series (platformer, Amiga, SNES and PC): This definitely is my favorite platfomer franchise. The music is great, and the two SNES games were graphically brilliant as well.

14) Mr. Nutz (platformer, SNES): My favorite stand-alone jump'n run game, if a bit on the tough side.

15) Keen Dreams (platformer, PC, 1991): Keen Dreams is my favorite Commander Keen game - don't ask me why, as the other 6 are pretty much the same...

16) The Mortal Kombat series (fighting games/adventure, Arcade, SNES, PC, PSX, Xbox): I'm not sure about which I'd consider my favorite MK game. Either the Trilogy for PSX or MK: Deception for the Xbox; the latter has an extended adventure/exploration/story mode which may be a bit shallow as a questing game, but good for a quick fix.

17) The C&C series (RTSes/shooter, PC): My favorite RTS franchise. I loved all the C&C games, including the shooter Renegade (and I really liked the C&C cameos in Lands of Lore 3). Generals, however, wasn't quite as good. The FMVs were what had set the other C&C games apart, and Generals' FMVs are pitiable. They shouldn't have dumped their film team. Thinking of it, they shouldn't have dumped Westwood to begin with ^_^ (can you tell that I'm quite partial to Westwood games? Probably). - Oh. Wait. I also like their Dune RTSes…

See? Now it's a list of seventeen, and I fear I have many more favorites, but I can't think of them right now. Should have made a Top Ten list for each genre...

Wow, long post.

Other than CRPGs i play PS2 games with my girlfriend and her brother. We are now playing Mortal Kombat: Armageddon with him and bashing our heads (mugai ryu rulezzz). Also, I find Katamari pretty entartaining for small gaming sessions i think. And my girlfriend loves adventures of PS2 and i watch her as she plays. Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill, Broken Sword, Larry 8, Rule of Rose, Fatal Frame, Shadow of Collossus, ICO, God of War.......
Also, i played and finished FEAR and Quake 4 last year and enjoyed them much. Also, tried Prey. First levels are very creative, but than it becomes boring.
Other than that i am a big fan of Legacy of Kain series (eagerly waits for a sequel) and old humurous Lucas Arts adventures (Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Sam&Max, Grim Fandango...) I just want to try new Sam&Max game, but can not find enough time.

Devil may Cry( loved that action game on the ps2)
Blood omen 2 (haven't played the first) pc
Soulreaver 2 (haven't played the first) pc
thief ( only played the first) pc
Tekken(tag,3 ,5) and Mortal kombat3 playstation

Top Non-RPG's
1. Jedi Knight II - once I got fully back into gaming, this was my first title I really anticipated - starting with the cancelled ObiWan in mid-2000 until its release in 2002, and the way it brought the Star Wars universe to life was just tremendous. One of my faves to this day.
2. Deus Ex - more than a shooter, but not really a RPG, but just a great overall experience.
3. Castle Wolfenstein - yep, the original - my first gaming love, on my Apple ][+ in 1981!
4. Wolfenstein 3D - got me back into things, and made me a total FPS nut, a love I carry to this day.
5. Dark Forces - combining two of my greatest loves - Star Wars and FPS.
6. Jedi Knight / Mysteries of the Sith - soon after both kids were born I had to travel for work training 1 week a month for 9 months ... had a nice new laptop and these games!
7. No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 - smart, funny and just excellent overall games.
8. Metroid Prime Hunters (DS) / Syphon Filter (PSP) - proof that handheld shooters can be truly excellent games.
9. Soldier of Fortune II - over-the top violence and etch-a-sketch linear level design tied to a very average story, but who cares?!?! The shooter gameplay remains top notch to this day, and the flow of events puts you into interesting battle after interesting battle ...
10. Thief Deadly Shadows - perhaps not the best of the series, but it is the one that really stuck with me - perhaps it is because I played most of it in a hotel room next to Boston Children's Hospital while my older son was there for kidney surgery and my wife was with him (only one could stay) and my younger son was with my parents, and I just couldn't sleep waiting for the phone to ring with some emergency all night ... add the headphones and pure silence to the mix, and it is a great experience.
11. Doom / Duke Nukem / etc - all of the early shooters ... just love them all :)

A list of games, but it depends on how I feel a that perticular moment how the list looks.

Teken series (PS2)
Tomb Raider 1 (PC)
Mortal Kombat 1 (Sega Megadrive)
Super Monaco GP (Sega Megadrive)
Gran Tourismo 3 (PS2)
Wing Commander V the prophecy (PC)
Need 4 speed 2 (PC)
Carmaggedon 2 (PC)
BfME (PC)
AoE 2 (PC)

edit-> I forgot a few rather important ones which others have mentioned after me:
Civilization 1 (pc)
Wolfenstein 3D + Duken Dukem 3D (FPS -> these should be the only two I actually enjoyed playing)
Commander Keen 4

Last edited:
Top Non-RPG's
11. Doom / Duke Nukem / etc - all of the early shooters ... just love them all :)
All of them? Really all of them? Even Depth Dwellers, Corridor 7, Operation Bodycount and *shudder* Angst?

Don't get me wrong, I loved Corridor 7... but I don't think anybody else did.

Hmmmm, I also loved the Legacy of Kain games, SoF II (which catered to my... erm... baser instincts), Dark Forces, Jedi Knight 1 and 2, Serious Sam 1 and 2, several of the Tomb Raider games... Republic Commando... the Sam Fisher games, forgot the title... The Dig (the adventure with the most beautiful score ever)... the Catacomb series... the Blake Stone games!!!... *sigh* so many games, so little time.

EDIT dte's DW Bradley post in the other thread just reminded me... another all-time favorite of mine was Cybermage: Darklight Awakening. As buggy as an ant heap, but THE GAME! Great atmosphere. Decent story.

Last edited:
All of them? Really all of them? Even Depth Dwellers, Corridor 7, Operation Bodycount and *shudder* Angst?
I know, I know ... it is like saying that you love all of the RPG's of the 80's ... but I love loads of stuff, and played tons of things I have great memories of, even if they weren't great. Stuff like Blood, Rise of the Triad, Eradicator, Shadow Warrior, Outlaws, and so on.

I own and played all you mentioned, save Eradicator (RotT being my favorite out of the bunch). I know whxat xy you mean... I love older shooters in general, too.

xxxxxxxx
x <---- sonny's work

In no particular order:

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (PC)
King's Quest VI (PC)
Wing Commander I-IV (PC)
X-Wing (PC)
TIE Fighter (PC)
Quake I & II (PC)
X-COM: UFO Defense (PC)
Elite (PC)
Marble Madness (Arcade)
Star Wars (Arcade)
Berzerk (Arcade)
Racing Destruction Set (C64)

Also in no particular order (kind of alphabetical as I look over to my games shelf which is sorted that way mostly ;) ):

- American McGee's Alice: An awesome fantasy action/shooter game based on the Q3 engine and also loosely based on the Alice in Wonderland novel
- Battlefield 2: Despite its flaws, the best modern day military shooter IMHO
- Comanche series: Great heli combat games... all of them
- Command & Conquer series: My favorite ones are the first one and Red Alert and I also tremendously enjoyed the hell out of C&C Renegade, the action shooter which was for some strange reason not too warmly welcomed by most other people.
- Duke Nukem 3D: 'nuff said :D
- Fahrenheit (a.k.a Indigo Prophecy): I'm usually not into adventure games but this one was an excellent and very intense, truly cinematic gaming experience. Wish the controls would have been better though...
- Ghost Recon plus expansions: Great squad-based tactical military shooter. Didn't buy G.R.A.W because -like a lot of other games these days- it felt like a typical consolized crap port from the demo.
- Project I.G.I series: Awesome stealth shooter with a real story and cutscenes. A bit like playing a Bond movie. One of the most underrated series ever IMHO.
- Privateer series: Great fun trading, exploring and fighting in space
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Great WW2-based shooter
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six series: Enjoyed the original one and Rogue Spear plus expansions the most. It went downhill from Ravenshield IMHO and I didn't even buy Lockdown after the (IMHO ofc) very disappointing demo.
- Star Wars games: X-Wing and TIE fighter series, of course, and also liked the Dark Forces series plus the Jedi Knight series. Rebellion and Empire at War were sort of great fun, too, at least for a limited time.
- Strike Commander: One of the best (action) flight sims ever. The story, the squad management, the actual sim... aahhh... the memories. Same goes for Pacific Strike which was very similar but WW2-based.
- Tomb Raider series: Especially liked no. 1 - 4 and the more recent Legend.
- Total Air War: An awesome F-22 flight sim with a real-time dynamic campaign.
- Wing Commander series: Probably the best non-Star Wars space combat sims ever.

Well, I like Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver 2. I've played a little bit of the other games but I liked this one the most. (as a side note it was the only one I completed by myself. And I really hate Defiance but there is another thread for that). I adore TBS titles, especially Civ 3/4, HoMM series (except 5, haven't played that), Disciples 2 and Age of Wonders. I also play a little bit of RTS titles, particularly I like Warcraft series, Age of Empires 1/2, C&C Red Alert 2.

Here we go:
My all time all plattform non crpg top 20

1) Civilization 1 and Elite 1
2) Pirates ! (Amiga Version)
3) Test Drive 2 (Amiga)
4) Paradroid (C64)
5) Uridium (C64)
6) Wizball (C64)
7) Tie Fighter
8) Doom 1, 2 and all mods
9) Quake 1
10) Gabriel Knight 1-3
11) The Longest Journey 1
12) No One Lives Forever 1+2
13) Panzer General Series
14) Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies (Amiga)
15) Super Cars & Nitro (Amiga)
16) Spellforce series
17) I-War 1+2
18) Max Payne 1+2
19) G-Police
20) Colin Mc Rae Rally 1

I need a top 50 :)

Last edited:
1. Wing Commander: Privateer - what a great Game...

2. Master of Magic

3. Rest of the Wing Commander Series

4. *looks suspicously around, makes sure no Gouvernment-Spys are around* Counterstrike - can't wait until our Idiots of Politicans take legal measuers against this game to cover their own failures... (we had two Amok-Runs in the last years that were - so they claim - done by CS-Players)

5. Dungon Keeper

6. Half-Life

7. Starcraft

8. Dark Legions (does anyone else remember SSI's Archon-Clone ?)

9. Defender of the Crown (C 64^^)

9. Return to Castle Wolfenstein

10. Duke Nuk'em 3D

Honourable Mentions to the Resident Evil-Series, Archon I + II, Wizard of War, Druids, Kaiser (Emperor), Unreal 2, Elvira, Jouste, Monkey Island-Series, Maniac Mansion 1+2, Shogun, North and South, Doom-Series, Mortal Combat, Elite, Moon Patrol, Asteroids, Jungle Hunt, Pac Man...

@Fenris
great list - I played and liked all these games (except: Starcraft), too.

@ HiddenX:

Real classics in your List too.. how could I forget Paradroid, Uridium, Pirates!, Pinball Dreams/Fantasies... I'm getting old ;)

oh... I also forgot Turrican, Space Pirates and X-Out too...

Moon Patrol!!! *boing boing boing*
This was my favorite game back in the mid-80s (for the Atari 2600). Counterstrike was my favorite MP game back in... ehm... whenever it came out, but being an old school TF player (not TFC!!!!), I was (and still am) pretty partial to CTF, so I switched to Day of Defeat the day I discovered it... never to return.

As for our CS-playing amok guys, well... what do you expect? How many CS players were there in Germany alone, didn't they say 2,5 millions? Two of which blew their fuses. At least one of them worked for a company I know, which makes 50%! So perhaps we should disband the company as it might be responsible for 50% of recent wannabe mass murderer nutcases?
It's not the games' fault, people. Industry maybe responsible for many things, but parents, teachers, politicians and the rest of society are just as responsible. y Perhaps you have to be a nutcase in the first place to enjoy playing these games (<- me). And who's responsible for kids being seriously disturbed? Their parents. Go jail them! Come on...!
Seriously, it's all about rocks and glass houses. I know several politicians whose kids ran away because their parents didn't have enough time for them... then the kids became small time criminals. That was during my time as a parole officer. So let's outlaw politics.
These games *might* do something for our wannabe mass murderers, though... they might train their 1337 skillz. If you don't count the last nutcase who injured 37 (most of those not with his guns), but didn't manage to kill anyone but himself. Loser.
This, folks, is about people who are out of touch with real life. Who need a replacement virtual life. Who must haunt the net to be successful. Who can't cope. This is about sociopaths.

Did I make sense? Hardly. But at least I used many, many words.

Moriendor said:
I also tremendously enjoyed the hell out of C&C Renegade, the action shooter which was for some strange reason not too warmly welcomed by most other people.
Ah, then we two were the ones responsible for Renegade's high Editor's Choice ratings in the RPGDot Games of the Year contest back then :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom