The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I guess I'm stuck in the 80's. Nukestar, it's your fault for thumbing your nose at it. ;)

OK, more psychedelic dirgey dark synthwave with a touch of industry. Rather odd, but I still like it. Too bad the 80 drum machines date it. This is a bit of a "supergroup" from members of Skinny Puppy and The Legendary Pink Dots.

The Tear Garden - Ophelia
The Tear Garden - You and Me and Rainbows - gets a bit psycho midway through, I like the first vocal part, turns into a bit of a Floydian echoes feel later. Definitely trippy.

Last edited:
Hadn't heard that one before, thrasher. Likes it, I does.

80's for me as well, although this cd was released in 1992:
"Silk Pyjamas" by Thomas Dolby

Nice.

The whole Tired Eyes Slowly Burning album is rather fantastic now that I listen to it all again 30 years later. I had forgotten how good it was. It's a keeper.

Lots of great posts to catch up on here!

Hmm, thanks for that. Need to learn more about this band. Like the Roxy Music, David Bowie, and psychedelic influence, moving to 90s piano dance, sort of with 70's congos going throughout, culminating in soaring strings, and some industrial noises. Quite wonderful! :)

EDIT: LOL! Bowie actually sang on Reflektor.

EDIT 2: the song Reflektor, while initially just interesting, turns into an earbug worth multiple listens. Highly recommended. :)

Talking about covers, here is a Beethoven piano sonata played with an electric guitar.

Is that real? Just amazing, and mesmerizing to watch him play. Thanks!

R.I.P. James Last - no party in my childhood without him.

Well I haven't heard that in, who knows how long. Thanks!
Listening to the live concert of one of my favorite albums of the past few years. Solo stuff from Godsmack singer, but waaay more mellow and reflective than Godsmack. I especially love "Sinners Prayer"

Sully Erna - Avalon live 2012

Great vocal synergies. The songs with the cello prominate remind of Witcher 3 music. Apropos. The wiccan subject matter sort of turns me off.

Last edited:
I guess I'm stuck in the 80's. Nukestar, it's your fault for thumbing your nose at it. ;)

LOL I spent the majority of my formative years in the 80's, being 18 years old in 1988, but thank god they didn't "formative" towards bands like Tears For Fears, Culture Club, Wham, and Flock of Seagulls!

My 80's were spent listening to Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Dio, Metallica, Megadeth, Queensryche, Merciful Fate, Anthrax, etc…….

Listening to the live concert of one of my favorite albums of the past few years. Solo stuff from Godsmack singer, but waaay more mellow and reflective than Godsmack. I especially love "Sinners Prayer"

Sully Erna - Avalon live 2012

Sinner's Prayer

Another great one

7 Years

Last edited:
LOL I spent the majority of my formative years in the 80's, being 18 years old in 1988, but thank god they didn't "formative" towards bands like Tears For Fears, Culture Club, Wham, and Flock of Seagulls!
Hey now, easy does it there, mister... ;)

An excellent age if I do say so, BTW.

So far, today was all about The Beatles. My favorite album from them:

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

Revolver is my personal fave … but Rubber Soul is next :)

Rubber Soul is a truly great album and was my fave for a while, but got edged out just because there's a few songs on there that are too reminiscent of their early days, a bit rough round the edges. The younger you are the less you care about rough edges.

Revolver then became a favourite, with it's wildly differing but all excellent tracks from Drive My Car to Eleanor Rigby to Tomorrow Never Knows and the first George sitar piece. Revolver has now been edged out as the tracks are just too diverse for it's own good, each track having it's own mood point.

My favourite is currently Magical Mystery Tour:

Magical Mystery Tour EP/Album

The UK version is an EP with 6 songs, but the US version is actually better as it has 11 songs and includes 5 great 1967 Singles including Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane and All You Need Is Love, all of which fit the sound of the album brilliantly.

And the great thing about this album is the sheer polish and shine. Strawberry Fields was supposedly the song which first sent Brian Wilson of the Beach boys into a mild trauma of inadequacy. If you like brass, and particularly the horn section, then this is certainly the album for you.

It's also the album where there's an immense amount of post-production on each track, with no end of swirling bits and pieces loading every track, plus a (now common) purely instrumental interlude piece with it's own title. But, unlike other Beatles albums, the whole feels completely complimentary, each track sounding alike enough to never break consistency, but each song deviating enough to never once sound repetitive.

It's one of those albums where you love the currently playing track, thinking it the best song ever made, but instantly forgetting it as soon as the next track plays and becomes the new best ever song, each song topping the last, but constantly walking around the same peak like Penrose's Stairs.

Edit: nb, you can never be quite sure if the speed of Youtube videos is the correct speed, what with everyone trying to dodge DMCA and takedowns etc, and I think the link I posted is a bit slower than I remember it, so probably better to search each song individually and create your own playlist album.

Last edited:
That is why I own their collection digitally (also on CD, the vinyls were my brothers :) ) ... and listen to them that way.

It is amazing to me looking back through history of recorded music ... people will ask 'why was it not until the Beatles that people really used the album as a fully realized piece of art? But look at it this way - by the time Revolver hit, it was just 13 years that the format existed - and for the first several years it struggled for any recognition at all in a totally singles-centric world.

And then you also think that for most of the years before the mid 60s these were just collections of songs, just documenting things. And really the first time people took a holistic view of the album was really in 1959 with the amazing set of classics including Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' AND 'Sketccches of Spain', Mingus Ah Um, Ornette's 'Shape of Jazz to Come', Brubeck's 'Take Five', Coltrane's 'Giant Steps' and more ... all of these are not just song collections, but true *albums*.

The use of the studio as an essential part of the musical process was another step, which many lamented but I have always loved - it is yet another form of creative expression :)

I used to have them all on vinyl, original releases purchased from a second hand section of one of those long forgotten places called a music shop. I'm one of those people who's in the crowd of being a bit fed up of keep re-buying them, perhaps in the future a purchase would include personal rights to free upgraded hardware/software purchases...? But that's a different topic and, of course, a total derail.

I think what I like most about Rubber Soul is that for me it is where I can really start to hear the "turn" in their music, moving slight farther away from the "early" more pop sound, and more into the "late" Beatles sound, which really turned the corner with Revolver

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom