The Witcher - Trailer Excerpt

The Assassins maybe have reason to be weary of Witchers, we in the English language world, don't really know the context and it maybe mostly in line with the way the books were written for some characters. ;)

Thanks Acleasius. I definetely like what I see btw.

-ehm-

What I meant was that in an rpg you usually have the option to persuade even the bad characters if you have high enough speech or persuasion skills or hight enough intelligence. From what I saw, it just looked a 'pissing' contest to see who could most bad, Geralt or the bandit (leader). Where's the choice in that?

Good point, aries100 I haven't heard anything about persuasions/charm or such only bribes, maybe those don't exist in the Witcher world?

Everything is so out of context, it's seems this guy was much more than an average NPC, maybe butt ugly assassins can't be persuaded or charmed. :p

Btw, does every male have face scars in Witcher world? :)

If you look at this link:

http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewitcher/news.html?sid=6179649

you get to learn that the Polish devs. didn't want to make Geralt a normal or typicall D&D or RPG-like character. They went another route instead. So, yes, I don't think, Geralt even has a Wisdom, Intelligence, or even Persuasion skill or ability. What he has is 'trait trees'.

Whatever that is :S

edit:
yeah, post # 300 :)

I think saying you "usually" have persuasion options in an RPG is a big overstatement but I know what you are trying to say.

Geralt does have an Intelligence skill tree but it's more to do with the Signs (spells) and does not have dialogue skills on it. You can gain influence with at least some people with "gifts" but I'm not sure how widespread or how much effect this has.

The only guys with scars I've seen are witchers - the game makes it clear becoming a witcher is *very* dangerous - I forget the details but there are three trials and only 40% of people pass the first and then only half of them survive the second, or something like that. In other words, witchers have gone through a *lot*.

Dhruin said:
The only guys with scars I've seen are witchers

Maybe that isn't a scar on the assassin, maybe just a birth mark or some-such.

Too bad, all this gritty realism like scars takes away from the "Alice in Medieval Europe Wonderland" feeling I got in oblivion and hope to get in F3, when will these upstart indie developers get a grip on what gamers really want, where's the Yellow Brick Road. :p

I should clarify, sorry. I haven't actually watched this video, so the assassin or whoever may indeed have a scar. I'm just saying they aren't as common as some of the videos might make it seem.

I think saying you "usually" have persuasion options in an RPG is a big overstatement but I know what you are trying to say.

Geralt does have an Intelligence skill tree but it's more to do with the Signs (spells) and does not have dialogue skills on it. You can gain influence with at least some people with "gifts" but I'm not sure how widespread or how much effect this has.

The only guys with scars I've seen are witchers - the game makes it clear becoming a witcher is *very* dangerous - I forget the details but there are three trials and only 40% of people pass the first and then only half of them survive the second, or something like that. In other words, witchers have gone through a *lot*.

40% is much to many :), I'd say 20% or even less(I dont remember exact numbers). As you can see in trailer witchers can use various strong and poisonous potions. For a normal person they would have been deadly, but for witchers they are not, because they where given those potions when they were small and always only few from a dozen survived.

As for the assassin attitude thowards Witcher. You must know that witchers are despised by other humans. They are mutants, they are not a humans anymore. So they are treated with suspicion and fear. And in Sapkowski's world if you are different from others then you must expect cold(like iron) welcome:) .

My question is how obvious is it that The Witcher isn't human? Everyone immediately calls him a "Freak." But why? Does no one else in the world have white hair? I noticed in some screenshots or vids somewhere that he has cat eyes, but I didn't think they were like that permanently. If they are, then I just answered my own question. Does anyone know if they are always like that?

My question is how obvious is it that The Witcher isn't human? Everyone immediately calls him a "Freak." But why? Does no one else in the world have white hair? I noticed in some screenshots or vids somewhere that he has cat eyes, but I didn't think they were like that permanently. If they are, then I just answered my own question. Does anyone know if they are always like that?

Geralt has got cat-like eyes, so, it is quite obvious that he looks alien to genuine human-being.

I haven't read any of Sapkowski's works but if the theme is the most ugliest monsters exist inside of humanity, then, it would work for me. I hope that the defects in dialogs would remains only in superficial level but I cannot but wonder why CD projeckt needed to make a similar mistakes with some Russian products when they reckon that the content is so important. I guess I have to wait for reviews at least.

good amount of choice in the dialog tree...very atmospheric environment... animation a bit stiff in dialog scenes.

-ehm-

What I meant was that in an rpg you usually have the option to persuade even the bad characters if you have high enough speech or persuasion skills or hight enough intelligence. From what I saw, it just looked a 'pissing' contest to see who could most bad, Geralt or the bandit (leader). Where's the choice in that?

Impossible to tell from a single video, of course -- but I did get the impression that the bandit boss was ready to hire Geralt -- "I could use someone like you for wet-work" -- but Geralt chose not to pursue that line.

If so, that would be a very genuine choice -- just as genuine, if not more so, than the possibility to resolve the situation without fighting by having invested points in persuasion skills.

Back
Top Bottom