InXile - Update on Bard's Tale and Wasteland Remasters

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
An update on The Bard's Tale and Wasteland remasters.

With The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut and Wasteland 3 on the horizon, it's a fantastic time for RPG fans to go back to where it all began with The Bard's Tale Trilogy, arriving on Xbox and PC with Xbox Game Pass on August 13 and with a major update on Steam and GOG. Later this year Wasteland 30th Anniversary Edition will also be landing, a remaster of the original classic that began the post-apocalyptic gaming genre.

Some old friends await!

The 1985 classic The Bard's Tale, along with its two sequels, revolutionized and helped define the growing computer RPG genre. Three years later, Wasteland brought the post-apocalypse to gaming with narrative innovations that helped inspire many future games, including the Fallout series. Last year, The Bard's Tale Trilogy released on Steam and GOG to popular acclaim and now both of these classics are being remastered and are arriving on Xbox One and for PC on the Microsoft Store, and both will be available with Xbox Game Pass at launch. Wasteland 30th Anniversary Edition will also be coming to Steam and GOG as well on its release date.

The information you need to save the world!

The Bard's Tale Trilogy features all three original games (Tales of the Unknown, The Destiny Knight, and Thief of Fate), each remastered with updated graphics and audio that still retain the 8-bit spirit of the originals. The Bard's Tale series pioneered the ability to transfer your characters from the first game to the next, and that's been recreated in the Trilogy, allowing you to form a party in the first title and take them on a heroic journey across all three games. Quality of life options such as automapping (put away that graph paper!), an in-game manual and bestiary, and the ability to save your game at any time make the titles more accessible than ever before. However, if you're pining for the 1980's experience and difficulty (take out that graph paper!), The Bard's Tale Trilogy features Legacy Mode, a series of options that let you play the game at the original difficulty and without modern amenities.

Wasteland 30th Anniversary Edition is a remaster of the classic game that brought the post-apocalypse to RPGs, and it's arriving later this year. For fans eagerly awaiting Wasteland 3, it'll be the perfect opportunity to see where the story of the Desert Rangers all began.

The Storybook is now in the game!

Perhaps the biggest addition is the new localization effort, providing language support for French, German, Polish, Russian, and Spanish for both titles!

You'll have countless hours of fantastic adventuring ahead of you with inXile's upcoming releases: The Bard's Tale Trilogy (August 13), The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut (August 27), Wasteland 30th Anniversary Edition (Q4 2019), and Wasteland 3 (Spring 2020)! Great days are ahead for RPG fans!
More information.

I'm more of a fantasy fan but I was blown away by Wasteland in 1988. Maybe the most fun I had playing a crpg. Though I was 18, so that could have something to do with it also ;)

I tried to play Wateland shortly before WL2 released, but I just couldn't get into it. I often claim graphics doesn't make a difference to me, but while that may be true in many cases I seem to have some limits.

Also, a modern UI with tooltips and a good layout is something I find it very hard to be without.

I think the original Wasteland holds the record for the most consective kills of the newbie Capt. in the starting area of a game by a rat. :)

Sorry if my question sounds like a dumb one but... my Steam version of Bard's Tale Trilogy isn't the remastered one?

Sorry if my question sounds like a dumb one but… my Steam version of Bard's Tale Trilogy isn't the remastered one?

Correct. Those are not the remastered ones, apparently.

Last year, The Bard's Tale Trilogy released on Steam and GOG to popular acclaim and now both of these classics are being remastered and are arriving on Xbox One and for PC on the Microsoft Store, and both will be available with Xbox Game Pass at launch.

Adding to the confusion is this quote:

The Bard’s Tale Trilogy features all three original games (Tales of the Unknown, The Destiny Knight, and Thief of Fate), each remastered with updated graphics and audio that still retain the 8-bit spirit of the originals.

So there is no 'remastered' in the title, confusing things.

InXile perfected the art of hiring sub-par developers, who do mediocre graphics.

The remaster of wasteland has been confusing since the wasteland 2 page implies the current version of 1 they are selling is a new game when it's not.

I wonder if we can transfer our characters from the BT trilogy between PC and Xbox One? I'd hate to start over now just for achievements.

Don't the Remastered versions come with old dos version of Bard's Tale?

I know I received the older Bard's Tales games from kick starting the most recent endeavour, but I'm not sure if the older titles are included if you buy the remastered ones. If they aren't, they should be, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom