Druidstone - Preview @Rock Paper Shotgun

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest was previewed by Rock Paper Shotgun.

The last thing I was expecting Druidstone: The Secret Of The Menhir Forest to remind me of was a deck-builder. Not least because it doesn't feature any decks. And yet, there's something about this deeply tactical isometric RPG, from Legend Of Grimrock's creators, that contains the same spirit of gradually gaining a deeper and more refined understanding of a limited set of tools, through repeated failure, and incremental improvement.

This is at first glance a very traditional turned-based RPG - much as Grimrock recalled the glory days of the first-person dungeon crawler, this visually suggested memories of late-90s BioWare-ish battling. But playing it, it quickly becomes apparent this isn't going to be a game that lets you spam your most powerful attacks at repeated mobs, but rather something that's going to demand a lot more planning, a lot more forethought. This is going to be tough.

[...]
More information.

Sounds very nice! I love hard tactical games. Was not sure about the game, but now I think I will have to get it once released.

Looks interesting, I like the art design. Spring 2019 release means that it is less likely I'm forgetting the game, lol.

Saying that, I don't remember seeing the game talked about before??? Off to google.

I didn't really like Grimrick since it's a blobber, but this looks much more interesting. That said, if you need to spend an 'hour' (or gods forbid... hours) on a fight, then I'm not interested. Especially if you can't stop in the middle and come back to it - which seems unlikely. I don'yt have the time or energy for that.

I'm also really looking forward to this one. I'm not a huge fan of action combat, but Grimrock 2 was a superbly designed dungeon crawler. If they can apply the same know how to a tactical turn based dungeon crawler, I don't see how I couldn't like it.

I didn't really like Grimrick since it's a blobber, but this looks much more interesting. That said, if you need to spend an 'hour' (or gods forbid… hours) on a fight, then I'm not interested. Especially if you can't stop in the middle and come back to it - which seems unlikely. I don'yt have the time or energy for that.

I don't think "hour long +" fights are going to happen. There is a dev post on Steam that talks about them trying to get the pacing right and enemies currently moving fast because of it. Also the official website talks about missions lasting between 15 to 45 minutes in the about.

Easily one of my most anticipated titles of 2019. I mean, these guys made Grimrock, how can you possibly go wrong ;)

Personally I loved Legend of Grimrock 2 (It was my game of the year at the 'Watch for 2014) so I'm naturally very curious to see what the Almost Human guys come up with as their follow-up game. The gameworld at least appears reasonably lush and inviting here. Hopefully mechanically it's interesting too.

The fact the reporter is whining about difficulty is actually somewhat of a positive to me, but we'll see what the reviews are like when it comes out.

I didn't enjoy their real time blobber but I am up for a turn based game like this one.

Back
Top Bottom