Is this a decent LCD?

I finally got around to getting that new monitor.

I went with the Samsung T240HD.

How is it working out for you ?
I have the 22" model... Its very decent (and looks good on my desk) but I wish I had
forked out a bit more cash for something better...

How is it working out for you ?
I have the 22" model… Its very decent (and looks good on my desk) but I wish I had
forked out a bit more cash for something better…

I'll post back after I receive it. I placed the order last night, with 3-5 day shipping.

Are you sure it's 16:10 aspect ratio? I believe that's the square shape of CRTs. I think you'd be better off with wide screen for games, which is 16:9.

I personally don't like LCDs. I've tried four in the past couple of years, one TV and three monitors and I wasn't happy with any of them. I'm particularly sensitive to a sort of silvery appearance that is visable around the edges and where there is anything dark on screen. I think it has to do with the viewing angle and the backlight bleeding through.

Also, despite the very fast response times when I play games (on my 360) there is a great deal of motion blur.

For these reasons I stuck with my 19" CRT for a long time. It's great but I want something widescreen so I don't get the letterboxing when playing games. Because of the two peeves I have with LCDs, I may have to wait for LEDs to come down in price and see if they're any better.

So I would agree with the guy that suggested you buy it from somewhere you can return it, because you can compare specs all you want, but you've got to try it out to be able to know if you're going to be happy with it. In New Zealand there are very few places that offer a free return policy and it's cost me quite a bit to return the monitors I've tried.

Something else you might want to be careful with the Samsungs is they don't seem to be made to be disassembled. Once you attach the base it's really hard to get it off without breaking it. That's what I found anyway on a P2350 I tried recently.

It was delivered yesterday, and I've been toying with it for the last couple of hours.

First off, the screen is huge. After using a 19" for ten years, this is going to take some getting used to. Also, it's nice to finally have a monitor that doesn't weigh 50lbs.

I had mixed feelings about the image quality at first, although I haven't really messed with those settings too much yet. My desktop and the internet look a bit washed out to me, and the bottom half of the screen seems to be a tad brighter than the top half.

No complaints about gaming quality though, which is what I really care about. KB: Armored Princess looks magnificent. The colors are extremely rich and vivid, with no flaws that I can see. Resident Evil 5 looks absolutely *incredible* at 1920x1200, with a clarity that wasn't present on my old CRT. I haven't tested my PS3 on it yet, but I don't think I'm going to be disappointed.

The only drawback is a decrease in framerates from running in such a high resolution. Guess I'll have to upgrade my video card next. :)

Are you sure it's 16:10 aspect ratio? I believe that's the square shape of CRTs. I think you'd be better off with wide screen for games, which is 16:9.

The model I have does both.

I'm particularly sensitive to a sort of silvery appearance that is visable around the edges and where there is anything dark on screen. I think it has to do with the viewing angle and the backlight bleeding through.

Also, despite the very fast response times when I play games (on my 360) there is a great deal of motion blur.

Backlight bleeding should only be noticeable during a pure black sceen on a quality LCD. I can only see it when I first boot up my system, before any image appears.

I haven't noticed any ghosting of any kind, but then I shouldn't with a 5ms response time.

Back
Top Bottom