Fallout: New Vegas - GamesCom Previews, Interview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here's a trio of Fallout: New Vegas items from GamesCom, sent in by Omega.
VG247 has a nice preview, so I'm going to take two excerpts. First, Sawyer on improving VATS:
“Basically unless you’re right on top of a person you’re not going to see a 95% chance to hit across the board,” elaborates Sawyer. “I wanted to make it more like a tactical choice – if you go for a headshot success is not guaranteed… VATS should be approached as a power-up, like bullet-time, as something that supplements real-time as a special resource. This is how we approach it with Vegas.”
...and on scaling and exploration:
“The world should feel a little bit more like a dangerous place. You can’t just go wherever you want,” says Sawyer. “I was a really fan of Fallout 1 and 2 and I do believe that exploration is a big part of the series, including 3. What I want is for people to feel like they have to be a little careful… it makes the player feel like they’re actively engaging the world, and if they take on difficult things they feel rewarded for it.”
Even without Hardcore mode turned on – a super-realistic mode that requires your character to stay hydrated and pay particular attention to radiation poisoning – the game doesn’t automatically scale to your character in the way that Fallout 3 did, at least not off the quest paths. “Once you get off the beaten path you can get into a lot of trouble. If you ignore everyone saying that a place is dangerous, and ignore the signs saying keep out, very dangerous, then you’re going to die,” Sawyer asserts.
Desctructoid has a stand-up video interview with Josh Sawyer and an annoying interviewer. Josh again reiterates the game can be completed without killing anyone.
Short preview at Softpedia, so a short quote:
I am also happy to report that, in the demo at least, you could not steal everything that was not nailed down and even messing with an old jukebox resulted in an increase in infamy and a fight.
More information.

If they really are making VATS as a supplement to real time and you can't fight entirely in VATS they are not getting my money. (at least until a mod comes out to fix that) I don't want to play the game like an fps and I suck at it anyways and I liked Fallout 3 because you could pretty much play entirely in VATS. The only thing I didn't like was that it was too easy to kill someone in VATS but mods fixed that.

I'm not particularly good with FPS' but queuing up nothing but headshots with 95% hit chance was pretty silly - and dull. They get my money for changing that. Don't forget they've promised a no-kill path, so presumably there are other ways to play.

One of the things that pissed me off about Fallout 3, was Bethesda's incredibly lame idea of having ranged weapon damage increase, based on skill.

I feel like killing someone, just thinking about how they messed up the basics…

Back
Top Bottom