Darkest Dungeon - Successfully Funded

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Darkest Dungeon kickstarter has ended and managed to get $313,337 of the games $75,000 goal. Here is the latest update from Red Hook Studios.

Funded!!

Thanks to you – your pledges, your passion and your incredible support – Darkest Dungeon is over 400% funded and well on it's way to being the game we've always dreamed it could be. Whether you pledged, emailed, tweeted or helped to spread the word in any way, we are grateful.

Speaking for myself (Chris) this has been the most incredible and rewarding experience of my career. This game started as a scribble in a sketchbook, a loose idea that somehow stuck around. To have worked so hard and be so validated by our peers, gamers, and friends is a truly special feeling.

Special thanks to the fans who have supported our efforts from the first moment we launched the 'Terror & Madness' trailer last October. The encouragement they gave reassured us that we were on the right path, and encouraged us to push ourselves further.

We'd also like to thank Sean Megaw and Fathom Interactive for their help and support. They've been wonderful, providing us with an exceptional office environment to work from, sound advice, and candid feedback.

We humbly take your support as both a validation of our direction & a mandate to create a great game. A game worthy of your pledges and excitement. A game that will make you agonize over your choices, think hard about your tactics, and reward you for a job well done.

Very Sincerely,

Chris Bourassa, Tyler Sigman, Kelvin McDowell & Keir Miron
More information.

Really really looking forward to this. Particularly after going through the AMA below (I'll put it here in case someone interested missed it like I did!)

P.S. There's also a recent Reddit "Ask Me Anything" of Darkest Dungeon (by the Red Hook guys), which has lots of interesting information, if you're willing to wade through that mega-thread. Teh Linky: Darkest Dungeon AMA.

Thanks Lurking Grue ;)

Thanks for AMA link.

Usually games hit a point where your levelled mega party is no longer interesting or alternatively the game uses random perma death to force you into levelling new characters, which leads to save scumming. Neither approach is ideal… But this is A really neat idea to use your successful heroes as trainers for new heroes:

"Currently there are five regions (dungeon areas) in the game, with the Darkest Dungeon being the hardest. The way it works is, you use the other regions to build up a strong party of heroes first. When you are ready, you send them into the Darkest Dungeon on their potentially one-way trip to accomplish their goal. If they succeed, those heroes actually survive and are back in town, where they can be used to help power-level and train up other heroes. However, that particular hero or heroes will never go down to the DD again ('they have the "Never Again" trait.) So they are grizzled old vets that can lend wisdom but will, hell no, ever go back! :) Actual game completion metagoal requires multiple trips (and multiple parties) to successfully get through the darkest dungeon. And after you complete this metagoal (sealing Darkest Dungeon), the game wraps to NG+."

These guys do indeed have some good ideas. Can't wait to lose my mind in some dungeon.

In a game of the 80's you could rescue a party with another party, you could also split a party, mainly for some tricky progression or puzzles resolution. It wasn't saving and resurrect a party but a party could be stuck in some traps. Also if you could rescue dead bodies it was requiring two members to carry a single body.

And parties wasn't fixed you could as well change their members by going to the town tavern.

It's really fun but involves a huge problem of difficulty management.

Back
Top Bottom