Voice vs Choice @ Twenty Sided

Because people rarely play them?

Okay, now we're talking 1

Now, why, do you think, does no-one sell commercial text-based adventure games anymore ?

Alrik are you serious?

I want more from my gaming experience than mere wall of text. Where is the gameplay? Isn't it the heart of gaming? Can a text adventure even be defined as a video game? There is certainly room for lots of interactivity in text adventure format i'm sure, but it feels more like reading an interactive novel than actually playing something. Maybe it is a sub category for books instead of games?

And to be honest I'd rather read a good old fashioned book in my comfortable bed than sit in front of my pc "playing" text adventures.

Edit: ofcourse if such adventure was writen brilliantly I'd love to take a look :)

Last edited:
It is also important to remember that many of the "choices" of old about gameplay styles were in fact not choices but a matter of necessity. The endless underground labyrinths where every section looked like the previous one, came down to the developers being able to create a 100+ section maze using only 2 or 3 different tile-sets.

The same applies to text adventures. As soon as passable graphics became available (e.g. Monkey Island) it was the end of text adventures … the same as "talkies" became the end of silent movies, colour movies became the end of black and white movies, etc, etc, etc.

Back
Top Bottom