Looking for an RPG with Huge Dungeons

Noriym

Watcher
So I need my fix for a RPG with large expansive multi-level dungeons. The type where you are forced to ration your hard-earned supplies. The type that keeps you wondering if you can get out alive. The type where you can spend two+ hours before reappearing back on the surface.

M&M6 had these. Phantasy Star 1 did too (don't laugh, I grew up on the Sega Master System :blush:). Are there any others, old-school or new-school?

Requirements:
- First-person, I need to get that claustrophobic feeling of being way underground.
- Need some sort of overworld where I can restock on supplies, an overworld with multiple dungeons, not just one giant dungeon.

God I hope Skyrim has em…

Phantasy Star 1... fantastic game for its time.

Are you only looking for a game that's party-based? What about the other M&M games... have you already played them?

Doesn't have to be party-based. Just has to have Epic dungeons. I've played MM6-8. And only MM6 has the larger dungeons as I recall.

Hmm, May have to check out Darklight. The non-rendered enemies in the 3D view is lame but I like allot what I saw in that video. Is there an overworld in Darklight dungeons or is it just one big dungeon.

Arx Fatalis I guess...

Morrowind's Tribunal expansion had a seriously insane underground area that went on forever.

Can't really think of any modern titles with huge dungeons... not first-person anyways. Your prerequisite of needing an overworld rules out a lot of games that come to mind. Daggerfall had some big dungeons, but that game is more trouble than it's worth imo.

Is PC your only platform?

many people complained about the deep roads in dragon age orignis but i thought they were some of the best designed dungeons at least in terms of drwarven architecture. i wonder if they're even going to make an appearance in dragon age 2. 1st person rpg's i'd wager account for less than 20% of rpgs even from the last 10 years.

also your question depends on wheter you are looking more for the 1st person dungeon experience or the rpg experience. both Arx Fatalis and to a lesser extent Dark Messiah would be good choices if you're not looking for party based RPGs which to my knowledge Phantasy Star 1 was.

Lord of the rings online - Mines of Moria expansion ... probably hugest dungeon ever built for a game. But yes..its MMO

Except of that.

I am making a game that will be exactly that ;)

many people complained about the deep roads in dragon age orignis but i thought they were some of the best designed dungeons at least in terms of drwarven architecture.

I think most people complain because they went on foreeeeeeever. Endless combat in endless hallways and the DA: Origins combat was pretty slow and plodding already. It was pretty tedious.

The Deep Roads never felt like a dungeon though. They felt like another bite sized chunk of terrain, the Deep Road felt the same as the forest or a city from DA.

My memories of endless dungeons are definitely Daggerfall. Even with the great 3d map they were difficult to navigate. I loved them though, twists and turns and giant rooms.

For scariest dungeon that would be old school Everquest. I remember lots of times being stuck in the middle of a dungeon with no way out. You knew you were going to die and there would be no way back to get your stuff. There was no loading up a save game and getting out alive really meant something. Not suggesting you try Everquest but the death penalty really added to the atmosphere.

Demise. The game's a single huge dungeon which will be explored by generations of your characters.

Demise. The game's a single huge dungeon which will be explored by generations of your characters.

Did they ever finish the addon for that?

Stonekeep

And maybe the Eye Of The Beholder series ?

Ultima IX is one of few games I can think of that fit the bill. Otherwise I cant think of any game that hasnt been mentioned already.

Daggerfall's dungeons are huge but lose their magic once you realise that they (with the exception of a few hand made main quest dungeons) are random rearrangements of the same few blocks of dungeon.

Darklands has some reasonably big mine dungeons, but you dont spend all that much time in those. It isnt first person either but rather isometric RTwP…

EDIT: Upon further pondering:

The old DSA game Star Trail (second in the trilogy) had a few dungeons that were pretty big too IIRC. It has the same perspective as EOB which I guess can be considered first person of sorts... Pretty annoying game in some ways though (with a few places where all your equipment would be stolen).

Dungeon Lords might be worth trying out. Plenty of fair-sized dungeons and an overland map. Try the demo to see if you can take the pace of the game.

Last edited:
The last 3rd of Risen is basically one huge dungeon.

Did they ever finish the addon for that?
Heh, I actually checked that yesterday after writing the post. No, they didn't (= Decklin didn't). The last official release date was October 2010 and there were just a few minor problems with website code or something like that… but apparently the problems managed to keep the thing from being released again. Preorderers were supposed to get their download link, but I don't know if that happened, and a look at their forums suggest they didn't. That Decklin guy doesn't seem too friendly.

But even without an addon, Demise is a game for dozens (or hundreds) of hours if you're into stuff like that.

Heh, I actually checked that yesterday after writing the post. No, they didn't (= Decklin didn't). The last official release date was October 2010 and there were just a few minor problems with website code or something like that… but apparently the problems managed to keep the thing from being released again. Preorderers were supposed to get their download link, but I don't know if that happened, and a look at their forums suggest they didn't. That Decklin guy doesn't seem too friendly.

But even without an addon, Demise is a game for dozens (or hundreds) of hours if you're into stuff like that.

After I posted that I actually went to the site myself, the good news is aparently they ran into some bugs in oct and they pushed it back...I read that it should eb very soon in teh forums though.

How about the infamous opening slog in DivDiv? Doesn't satisfy the 1st person requirement, but covers everything else in spades, me thinks. Supposedly, the game opens up after that first dungeon, but I got distracted by some other game before emerging from that gauntlet.

Back
Top Bottom