Sucked In By Dark Souls

Steinawarjar's posts reminded me of a couple things.

In lords of the fallen playing a warrior is sort of like an easy mode while playing a thief would be like a hard mode. Mage would be somewhere in the middle I've heard but I don't play mages so I don't know personally. I always play thief types when available.

However, no matter which one you pick the game will get easier towards the end whereas souls games do not. Every class will get some sort of magic and you'll also get a gun thingy early on. Using either or both of these will also make the game easier. It's kind of a nice system because you can make the game harder or easier based on these decisions.

Lords of the fallen is a good game to get back into these kind of games and then play the others. However, if you think you might only play one of these type games then I agree with Steinawarjar play DS on PC. It's actually very playable with M&k but requires 3rd party programs and a lot of remapping. Plugging your ps4 controller in to your PC will also require a third party program but it's still less painful than setting up good M&K.

Still don't get the adjuration for DS1. Good game, amazingly absorbing vibe and atmosphere, but just so repetitive and work-like at times.

My main gripe was having to travel for ages back to a place where you died. Is Bloodborne like that?

Other than orstien and smough I though bosses were pretty close to spawn points assuming you opened up all the shortcuts.

Bloodborne is even closer though, again assuming you open up shortcuts first.
I is further between bonfires ( lanterns in bloodborne) though. At least it feels like it is.

Other than orstien and smough I though bosses were pretty close to spawn points assuming you opened up all the shortcuts.

I is further between bonfires ( lanterns in bloodborne) though. At least it feels like it is.

I know the shortcuts help, but there's still way to much walking from point a to point b, fighting the same monsters again and again along the way, after you die for me. Good that Bloodborne is better though, looking forward to playing it :)

Well, it is not so far for orstien and smough either, if you know the right path / fire.

I know the shortcuts help, but there's still way to much walking from point a to point b, fighting the same monsters again and again along the way, after you die for me. Good that Bloodborne is better though, looking forward to playing it :)

I think Dark Souls 1 is a better game over Dark Souls 2 (though really, not by all that much). But I've played DS2 far more than DS1 for exactly the reasons you point out. If I were to play DS1 again, I'd definitely cheat by copying my save game file to my desktop just before tough encounters. I really can't stand having to repeat a mob-run so many times... and for me it really is so many times because I'm just not very good at the combat and die I think more than the average player. In DS2, the mobs stop respawning after a while, a design decision I happen to like although the purists resent players like me for liking that choice.

I think Dark Souls 1 is a better game over Dark Souls 2 (though really, not by all that much). But I've played DS2 far more than DS1 for exactly the reasons you point out. If I were to play DS1 again, I'd definitely cheat by copying my save game file to my desktop just before tough encounters. I really can't stand having to repeat a mob-run so many times... and for me it really is so many times because I'm just not very good at the combat and die I think more than the average player. In DS2, the mobs stop respawning after a while, a design decision I happen to like although the purists resent players like me for liking that choice.

With that in mind I might give DS2 a go. I would like to finish DS1 at some point, but Stens fortress is just so annoying, and those mob runs have ground me down now.

DS2 sounds more appealing for just the fact the repetition will be less. What would you say it lacks to make it less enjoyable than DS1?

With that in mind I might give DS2 a go. I would like to finish DS1 at some point, but Stens fortress is just so annoying, and those mob runs have ground me down now.

DS2 sounds more appealing for just the fact the repetition will be less. What would you say it lacks to make it less enjoyable than DS1?

Bring as much poison as you can to sens fortress makes it much easier.

DS2 does despawn. You have to kill the same enemy 10 times to despawn it.

DS2 was my least favorite due to lots of mobs. Having said that thought the worst souls type game is better than most other games. My opinion of course.

What would you say it lacks to make it [DS2] less enjoyable than DS1?

DS1 has better atmosphere and level design. The world of DS1 wraps around itself in interesting ways. I also feel that exploring in DS1 was more interesting.

But with all that said, the margin of 'better-ness' between the two games is narrow, at least in my opinion. And I for one really appreciate the no-respawning in DS2 after you've killed an enemy a certain number of times (I think 10).

Back
Top Bottom