Dark Souls Remastered - Reviews

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Dark Souls Remastered has been released recently.

https://gamingbolt.com/dark-souls-remastered-review

And if you’ve never played Dark Souls? You are in for a treat, and Remastered, modest upgrade though it is, is the definitive way to play the classic game. Nearly perfect, and one of the greatest games ever made, now you can prepare to die on a modern system. Missed opportunities and all, I have to argue that in the end, that’s more than enough.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/reviews/dark-souls-remastered-review-1856546

All said and done, Dark Souls: Remastered’s combat alone makes for an experience that’s near transformational. Combine that with great looking visuals and it’s a huge enough upgrade that makes up for the lacklustre UI and the absence of bonus content like, say, a photo mode. Dark Souls: Remastered is not the definitive version of the game, but it's close enough. Throw in a welcome price tag of Rs. 2,499 in India and $40 in the US, and this is one remaster worth checking out.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/reviews/660053/Dark Souls Remastered/

At the time of writing the servers aren't online, so we can't review the online aspect of the game, but what we can say is that while the original offered between one and four players at a time, this is increased to six for all the new versions (all four versions having dedicated servers no less), so you can have all the jolly cooperation you want... or hostility, if you're one of those sick and twisted individuals who like to invade other people's games - you know who you are. Summoning NPCs like Iron Tarkus, however, worked smoothly and as expected, so no complaints there, especially when they take on the bosses for you.

https://fextralife.com/dark-souls-remastered-review-nostalgia-in-4k/

Summary: A wonderful trip down memory lane, in 4k and 60FPS. Engaging combat, thrilling multiplayer and intriguing lore make Dark Souls Remastered a worthy purchase for veterans looking to polish their backstabbing skills; and a mandatory buy for those who never got around to playing the original 2011 release.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-dark-souls-remastered-503275.phtml

Dark Souls Remastered speaks for itself just in terms of the raw mysteries it offers beyond its new coat of paint. The feeling of zoning into Firelink Shrine is just as special the 100th time as it is the first, and the open-ended nature of the world is just as fresh. Sometimes needlessly so, From Software has packed so much into Dark Souls that I'm finding new items or experimenting with strategies I've never seen before -- a testament to the longevity of this particular entry, and a more than justified remaster.

[This review is based on a retail build of the game provided by the publisher. Online servers were not tested, coverage will arrive after launch for that component.]

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/d...018/05/23/gently-modifying-a-masterpiece.aspx

All improvements aside, Dark Souls does feel its age in the face of From Software’s recent contributions to the genre. The drop off in quality in the second half of the game, bosses like Bed of Chaos and incomprehensible zones like Lost Izalith remain curious blemishes on an otherwise incredible experience.

This review pertains to the PS4 version of Dark Souls Remastered. The game is also available on Xbox One and PC and is coming to Nintendo Switch.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Too bad none of the reviews mention the lack of upgrades over the allready existing PC version with (DS)fixes and mods. This should have been a free patch.

Also I see no mentioning on the soft-ban issue when being invaded by cheaters (don't know how it works, but it seems to be a thing).

Still surprised this game gets so much praise. Floaty, weird movement, getting stuck on terrain (even small bricks on the bridge with the first boss) and funky hitboxes. DS2 and 3 are so very, very far superior.

I also hate the firebomb spamming monsters in DS1. Plus, if it's so "fair" why can't the firebombs hurt other monsters, just me? Would have been a cool tactic using monsters against each other.

Plus, the Capra Demon is a goddmaned joke. Terrible game design for that one un-skippable enemy.

ALSO: If you ever non-ironically use the term "Metroidvania" please put a loaded pistol to your skull and pull the trigger. Thanks!

Honestly, I cannot believe I slogged through this game at some point. I entirely blame friends that marveled at the game, which I learned was ok, but just not my kind of pleasure.

Yeah it doesnt deserve any money; i replayed it 2 months ago with dsfix and other small mods, and it was great.

Dark Souls has a marvellous interconnected world design, but the scaling and difficulty are way beyond anything that is fair and it becomes a furustration.

Dark Souls II had a neat balance and more comfortable progression and much more variety in gear and weapons. The DLCs for this were just masterpieces in architectural design and world variety and magic, but were hard as nails.

The best in my view was Demon's Souls - it is indeed the source of inspiration of all what came after and had a beautiful and comfortable balance between world design, progression, bosses, enemies, weapons and scaling - and the narrative is much more clear. That is why it pains me that they are not bringing it to future platforms!

Hey Ovenall, I'm gonna push back on some of your remarks. I do this with the utmost respect and in a non-confrontational tone. I'm stating this up front because I just want to exchange ideas, I don't want you or anyone thinking I'm just trying to be a troll.

Floaty, weird movement, getting stuck on terrain (even small bricks on the bridge with the first boss) and funky hitboxes. DS2 and 3 are so very, very far superior.

I agree with you that hitboxes are much better in the DS2 and 3 as well as the occasional floating objects here and there. I also have to agree about the "getting stuck on terrain" comment. My toon has never gotten stuck, but with this new version of the game a fair number of enemies have fell underneath the "floor" with only their heads slightly sticking up above the "ground." I don't remember that happening in the prior version.

I don't agree with the "floaty" weird movement though. I'll have to go back and play DS1 Prepare to Die Edition to be completely sure, but I was just thinking last night while playing this new version that in fact it felt like my toon has weight as I traverse the world. A small disagreement really, I wouldn't have even brought it up but you made this comment right as I was thinking the exact opposite while playing.

I also hate the firebomb spamming monsters in DS1. Plus, if it's so "fair" why can't the firebombs hurt other monsters, just me? Would have been a cool tactic using monsters against each other.

You may be right about this. I'm going to test this out for myself. But while playing in, I think, Darkroot Basin, that area past the tower where you can fight Havel, I was fighting those crystal monsters at pretty low level and realized I could use the Hydra way back at the lake to kill them. I'd try to stay as stationary as I could, circling the crystal enemy, listening for the sound of the hydra shooting it's "water missile," then move out of the way letting it one-shot the crystal monster. That was fun.

Plus, the Capra Demon is a goddmaned joke. Terrible game design for that one un-skippable enemy.

I'll admit that years ago when I first played DS1 the Capra Demon was really difficult. But this time around, I beat him on my first try. The main thing with that fight is kill those damn dogs fast. After that, slow way way down, and just melee the Capra Demon, he is fairly easy to dodge and avoid.

I'll admit that years ago when I first played DS1 the Capra Demon was really difficult. But this time around, I beat him on my first try. The main thing with that fight is kill those damn dogs fast. After that, slow way way down, and just melee the Capra Demon, he is fairly easy to dodge and avoid.
I agree, got it done first go this time around too. I defeated it by going up the stairs and standing there in the corner with my shield up until the Capra Demon fell and then I just did plunging attacks on it.

This is my all time favourite game so was very excited about playing it on the PS4. Compared to DS2 and 3 and more to the point, Bloodborne, I didn't realise how "clunky" this game was. I still prefer it over the sequels but BB is more enjoyable now. Still, I will have to platinum it.

I'm in Anor Londo at the moment......

Thats how it is when replaying it; i killed most of the bosses on my first try 2 months ago, i couldnt believe when i saw VICTORY on the screen at S&O on my first try haha. Most problems i had with Seath just like when i first played it.

My favorite battle was with Artorias, i loved the atmosphere and music in that one, how cool he moves and so on; fight might be easy too but it takes a lot of time.

Anyway cant remember well but i think Capra can be skippable.

yup, i remember it was skippable also.
best game of the series for me by far. people will focus on weird things. when your lack the variables its easy to be blind to them )

I suspect my own romance with this series is somewhat over; not having any new content here and the fact that Dsfix makes the game already perfectly playable, really does make this the "Prepare to Buy Again Edition". I've already beaten the game three times and simply don't see the need to purchase this despite the attraction of a greater new player base.

That said, those that jumped on board with the series via the second or third game and have never played the original, this is a logical selection for them to experience the essential Dark Souls as far as I'm concerned. My least favourite is certainly the third game, which atmospherically, musically and combat wise, did the least for me out of the series. I still need to pick up "the Ringed City" though to give it all a proper "farewell".

Back
Top Bottom