Necromunda: Underhive Wars - New Warhammer 40K RPG Announced

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A new tactical turn-based RPG set in the Warhammer 40.000 universe, named Necromunda: Underhive Wars has been announced.

Focus Home Interactive and Rogue Factor to Adapt Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000 Cult Classic into Necromunda: Underhive Wars

After a successful first collaboration on MordheimTM: City of the DamnedTM, released on PC and consoles, Focus Home Interactive and Rogue Factor today proudly announce a new partnership with Games Workshop to begin development of Necromunda: Underhive Wars, the adaptation of cult classic tabletop game Necromunda, set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

Necromunda: Underhive Wars is a turn-based tactical RPG. Rival gangs of ruthless warriors are locked in an endless war for control of the Underhive, a gigantic warren of derelict factories, rusted metal husks, and forgotten technologies. Anarchy, violence, betrayal and death rule this hellish place, long forsaken by any semblance of civilization.

"Rogue Factor's collaboration with Focus and Games Workshop is a story of trust, hard work, and true passion for the Warhammer Universe. Our adventure began by building the foundations of Mordheim: City of the Damned Early Access. Regarded as a highly successful and well-executed endeavour, the Early Access of Mordheim: City of the Damned gathered a vast number of passionate gamers that helped foster an amazing community and improved many aspects of the game. After a strong launch on PC and consoles, and an incredible experience with many lessons learned, the way was paved for our next step in conquering the tactical RPG genre: Necromunda: Underhive Wars."

- Yves Bordeleau, General Manager at Rogue Factor.

"We are delighted to welcome Necromuda: Underhive Wars to the catalogue of great games based on our worlds and settings. Rogue Factor and Focus Home Interactive made a wonderful Mordheim: City of the Damned game and having done such a great job they're clearly the right people to realize the nightmarish world of Necromunda. Now fans of this unique and highly influential IP will at last be able to pick up their stubber and search for cool archaeotech whilst wiping out rival gangs throughout the Underhive."

- Jon Gillard, Head of Licensing at Games Workshop.

More information will be unveiled at Focus' What's Next event in Paris, on February 1st and 2nd.
More information.

When they are going to make a true, memorable RPG in this universe instead of half-baked, mediocre games I wonder. I hope Games Workshop will someday agree with Obsidian, Inxile or Larian for such a game.

Oh fucking great. Necromunda is my favorite tabletop strategy game. I hope they improve it a lot from the Mordheim PC game, like isometric perspective.
I really don't care for a 40k RPG, better would be a faithful translation/implementation of the GW (strategy) games. There is so much depth there.

Last edited:
I actually agree with both previous posters on this one. A PROPER RPG in the universe would be great, a grand strategy (Turn based!!!) implementing proper rules would be even better.

Last edited:
I didn't play Mordheim, but this sounds promising.

Cheapening their IP again. Or it might be a game up to the game it adapts. Hard to believe.

You are very, very wrong. Mordheim is a fantastic game. There are a few questionable design choices, but overall it is a great adaptation. If Necromunda will improve on the solid formula, it will be a lot of fun.

You are very, very wrong. Mordheim is a fantastic game. There are a few questionable design choices, but overall it is a great adaptation. If Necromunda will improve on the solid formula, it will be a lot of fun.

Let's hope so. The universe is probably my favourite in regards to lore, factions and feeling. I've played WH40k tabletop, and would love a faithful implementation of it in a PC game. But if Necromunda is also great I won't complain, ANY turn based game in this universe is a step forward IMO.

Mordheim is a fantastic game? I've had it wishlisted for a long time but still haven't bought it, the reviews being mixed and I haven't seen it mentioned here. Perhaps it's time to give it another look.

When they are going to make a true, memorable RPG in this universe instead of half-baked, mediocre games I wonder. I hope Games Workshop will someday agree with Obsidian, Inxile or Larian for such a game.

Indeed. Beyond a few good strategy games, it's been mostly mediocre.

Maybe but I cannot play it because of the camera and movement system. Turn that into Xcom like system and it is already 5x better.

If it is a fantastic game then it is a fantastic game. Even though this guarantees running out of superlatives fast.

The important point is great adaptation. Would be interesting to know what could constitute a great adaptation in Necromunda's case. It is TT game and various elements will be demanding in terms of adaptation.

I had heard Mordheim was quite a strong product. Am not sure if the content is for me though. Am not sure if Necromunda is either. Looks a good bit too dark.

Yes Mordheim is the strategy game I played most, since it came out. No other game could keep my interest as long as this. For me it is the best strategy (RPG) game of the last decade with lots of complexity (alongside with Blood Bowl)
But it could still be improved a lot like better camera perspective (and more fluent movement), better ui, a multiplayer campaign system. And the Warbands are too symetrical.
This is why i have big hopes for Necromunda. Practically the same game just a low Sci-fi setting.

I've played it a bit and my understanding is that Mordheim is like Bloodbowl… Really "crap" until you understand how it works and thereby how to play it properly. Then it becomes most excellent. If you don't take the time to get to that point (in games where there are lots of established and intricate rules) you'll write it off as frustrating crap. I remember seeing a youtube review of the first of the recent Bloodbowl games and the guy hated it because "the game wouldn't let me do anything, I kept trying but couldn't even pick up the ball and then my turn would end" so he gave up and never played it again…. Maybe it should have had more of a tutorial :D His loss.

Anyway am hoping Necromunda is done well and is successful. Hell maybe one day we'll get the holy grail and GW will let someone make a fully digital version of their WH/WH40K tabletop rules where you can build your own armies and battlefields. That would be sweet.

I've played it a bit and my understanding is that Mordheim is like Bloodbowl… Really "crap" until you understand how it works and thereby how to play it properly. Then it becomes most excellent. If you don't take the time to get to that point (in games where there are lots of established and intricate rules) you'll write it off as frustrating crap.
No. Board games usually balance the RNG factor with a command over the rules. Playing a board game demands understanding of the rules, application of the rules, manipulation of the rules. Those are two pillars.

In video ports like BB, resolutions of situations are hard coded, they are always right (the player cant get them wrong)
Beside, BB also provides a simulator of resolution. Which means that players do not even have to know the rules to play.

As a consequence, a player of the BB board game version can play the video version. The reverse is not automatic as a player of the vid version might not be able to play the BG version.

The vid version removed an important gameplay dimension (practising the rules) and it reduces the whole to the RNG factor. Which in BB does not leave enough room to see weird stuff happen.

As to Necromunda, one issue is the pace.

A decently dedicated TT Necromunda player gets something like a game per month at his local club. 12 to 20 games per year.

In the first two weeks in a vid product, players are expected to get as many. Actually, players might get as many in a few days.

A literal Necromunda adaptation as BB was will meet several issues in the way character progression is set in the TT version.

Back
Top Bottom