I want a new monitor

I am on 27' 2560x 1440 right now. Is there any point in moving to 29' 2560x 1080? As I won't see any more the game right? In fact I will see less right? This is why I was thinking of 34' 3440 x 1440.

I think you'll see little improvement. You'd see less and pixel density would be lower and less sharp. If everyone had the money and the video card to run it, i'd highly recommend a 34" Curved Ultrawide at 3440x1440. When I use them, i'm like that bug in A Bugs Life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTUQyEr-sg0

Much better experience than 4K IMO

Unfortunately no. You'd need a g-sync monitor. What nVidia card do you have?
780 ti, still keeping it around as it's still running strong ;)

780 ti, still keeping it around as it's still running strong ;)

And it supports g-sync! But unfortunately the g-sync monitors are quite a bit pricier. nVidia wanted to charge everyone for it instead of make it free.

I'm already stretching my limits with 425eur though :/ don't think I'll go much above that

In that price range Id still recommend one of the 29" LG ultra wides for gaming even if you're not using Freesync or g-sync. Before you go ultrawide though make sure the games you want to play support the resolution. Some indies won't support it. Which isn't a huge deal because it would just display in 1080p native, and you'd have black bars on the side but it would be just as sharp. I'd highly recommend going to a store that has them on display though so you can experience them for yourself first. I spent about 4 months doing this before I settled.

Some have slightly different model releases in different countries due to FCC rules, power consumption, import laws, and even sometimes they'll rename a model number on the exact same model so that other stores can't try and price match them (shady!), but I think in this case, the B model just has a USB hub on it.

Free-sync uses buffered frames and picks the most appropriate one to display. This requires extra videocard performance available to use properly. I think the mouse delay is about 10% of V-sync making it a superior option.

Gsync is a proper hardware solution and will even appear to improve the performance of an aging videocard. It has no mouse delay at all giving you the smoothest feeling mouse look.

Free-sync uses buffered frames and picks the most appropriate one to display. This requires extra videocard performance available to use properly. I think the mouse delay is about 10% of V-sync making it a superior option.

Free sync doesn't used buffered frames as far as i'm aware (as it's dynamically adjusting refresh rate to your frames), but will shift to v-sync when you're out of the monitor's range, then using the buffer. For instance, a lot of Freesync monitors only support 40 to 75hz.

I'd recommend this site for excellent LCD reviews. Edit: Oops, I just noticed that their English reviews are pretty dated. The German reviews can be found here. If the LCD gets a good rating on Prad.de, you can usually rest assured it is really a decent one. Maybe use Google translator(?)

And even though it is a EU price comparison site (in English though), you could use this link to filter and find your preferred display. You have tons of options to filter products down to the smallest details. Make sure to expand the list by clicking on "show 35 additional filters". I've been using that site for years to filter products and find good deals.

Also, before buying an ultrawide display, I would recommend to head to a local dealer and check out the displays they have on… display. Ultrawide or even ultrawide plus curved may not be everyone's cup of tea (sure isn't mine anyway and I'm glad I went to a local electronics dealer to see for myself ).

I've been off again/on again considering ultrawide for a while, mainly looking at a 34" LG but it only does 2560x1080 and I'm an nvidia person so I've been sitting on the fence.

This site has great info on how games behave when played in various aspect ratios.

We had a curved 34" 3440 x 1440 monitor at work a few weeks ago, it was pretty awesome. You pay for it though and need a good system to take advantage.

I've ruled out the 29" models, the vertical viewing area feels extremely narrow (I currently have a 24" 16:10 monitor that is 1920x1200 native and I play some games at 2560x1600 for added smoothness).

=)

I've been off again/on again considering ultrawide for a while, mainly looking at a 34" LG but it only does 2560x1080 and I'm an nvidia person so I've been sitting on the fence.

This site has great info on how games behave when played in various aspect ratios.

We had a curved 34" 3440 x 1440 monitor at work a few weeks ago, it was pretty awesome. You pay for it though and need a good system to take advantage.

I've ruled out the 29" models, the vertical viewing area feels extremely narrow (I currently have a 24" 16:10 monitor that is 1920x1200 native and I play some games at 2560x1600 for added smoothness).

=)

That's a good site, thanks for the link.

Ultrawide can be a tough decision. Anything under 29" is too small. But if you already have anything bigger than a 23" currently, then even a 29" is too small. But if you go to a 34" with the 2560x1080 resolution, then it doesn't look sharp enough, but if you go to 34" 3440x1440 then it looks amazing, but you can be paying close to a grand for a monitor, and even more for the hardware to run it. And when you get to 34" at that high of a resolution, you might as well go curved. First world problems.

Let us know how you find it once you've had a chance to play around a bit.

=)

I have 2 34" ultrawide monitors, 1 is a Samsung and the other is the acre predator x34 and is my favorite. I also have 3 27" asus vg278he monitors that I was using for nvidia surround gaming before I went 21:9.

The asus are nice monitors with high refresh rates.(144hz) 1080p.

The ultrawide monitors take a bit to get use to them. They do initially feel vertically cramped and it took me a few weeks to get use to it. The 34" one also her 3440x1440 resolution which is not universally supported. You'll need to spend some time with widescreen fixer to get some games to work and some just won't work at all. You'll have to play some games with bars on each side. As mentioned they're expensive and require a high end card to run. When the game supports it though a game at 21:9, 3440x 1440 @ 100hz is the best experience I've had gaming. Both of the monitor are curved and that adds a little to the surround feel but it's not enough to justify the extra cash for curved.

As I said the asus monitors are solid and fast. Not much more to say.

If money's no object then the acer is the best monitor out there Imo. It's 3440x1440, will do 100hz vs most at 60 or 75, is iPS for great colors, is curved and has gsync. So it's a complete package.

If that's out of reach I'd recommend at least 27", below that seems small but obviously that's personal opinion. Then I'd see what resolution your graphics card can do at 60hz and pick that resolution. Although I wouldn't go under 1080p no matter what with 2560x1440 being a good sweet spot if your graphics card can hit it. Come to think of it I'd probably give up some fps to get the higher resolution. If your main interest is RPG's even as low as 40 fps should suffice.

thanks for your feedbacks. I ended up getting LG 29UM68 :blush:

Great choice! And welcome to the PC Ultrawide Master Race. As Kaos said, please let us know how you like it. RPGWatch mini review!

thanks for your feedbacks. I ended up getting LG 29UM68 :blush:

WoW, you make up your mind fast! I have been at it for month now but still none the wiser as to what to get :lol:

Back
Top Bottom