Torchlight - Review @ The Escapist

I spent more last night with it and my one complaint is I wish you could rotate the screen 1 way or another beacuse I can't see either around corners. When you are in a fight it gets a bit anoying.

DArtagnan, you are certainly entitled to your opinion but since you brought it up in your post, what is it that ARpg's are missing that used to make them great?

I spent more last night with it and my one complaint is I wish you could rotate the screen 1 way or another beacuse I can't see either around corners. When you are in a fight it gets a bit anoying.

DArtagnan, you are certainly entitled to your opinion but since you brought it up in your post, what is it that ARpg's are missing that used to make them great?

Primarily, multiplayer.

The best of them have interesting character development as well, and that's one of the primary complaints I have about Torchlight.

The skills are mostly dull and too few in number considering the amount of classes and there's too much overlap. I'm missing cool distinctive abilties for the respective classes that fit with the "theme" of the class. Maybe it's because I generally go for the "fast dual wielding" class, and there's really no such thing. The fighter guy is too bulky and the skills are simply not very "cool" - and I'm missing stuff to increase speed. So, if you're into other sorts of characters, I guess there might be something that's good enough for you.

But as I said, the game isn't bad at all. It's just not very interesting to me, because it's too simplistic and the lack of multiplayer is a SEVERE problem for me - because I find these games really quite dull without the cooperative aspect.

But please remember that this is an opinion, not a statement of fact or an attempt at such a thing.

I'm pleased people are digging it and it's certainly attractive and well made.

I had much the same reaction to BOTH FATE and Mythos. People loved those games too, so it's really no surprise I guess.

NO actually I agree with most of what you said, No multiplayer is a big deal to me. MYthos had it and thats what would have extended the play time for me
I am liking it but I will probably play on thru completion of the campaign and a few levels in the infinite dungeon. I am happy with the skills as is because I usually will stay with one or two in this kind of game anyways. Kinda anticipating that I will be playing Borderlands a lot longer than this one just because of the coop multiplayer

I don't think I would play this game in multiplayer even if it did have it, but that's more of a personal thing as I've never been real big on multiplayer outside of Starcraft.

On the sixth level now, and it's quickly becoming redundant imo. I don't like how everything is magically respawned\restocked every time you exit the dungeon.

*Edit* Also want to add that this game is way too easy, I still haven't died a single time yet, despite playing on "Hard".

Last edited:
How about trying to survive the whole game with the hardcore option on, on the hardest level if you guys find it too easy?

I try that, but it doesnt really do much for me. Enemies take 4 hits instead of 2, so youre pounding on them twice as long. Enemies do 4 damage instead of 2, now I just double the potions that i drink.

Cranking up the difficulty of a tedious, monotonous title has never improved the game experience of a game for me, ever. It just doubles the tedium.

Back
Top Bottom