Quantcast
Elex First Impressions - Page 15 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Piranha Bytes » Elex » Elex First Impressions

Default Elex First Impressions

November 1st, 2017, 02:55
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
The TES/Fallout team at Bethesda is too stuck in their ways to evolve their games anywhere else but an ever-increasing soup of bland, stagnant, copy/pasted content. The real talent over there is the marketing department.
Probably going to do some dumb VR stunt…
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#281

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,779
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

November 1st, 2017, 03:50
I'd like to explore Tamriel in VR, but only if (and this is a big if) the game isn't dumbed down to VR gimmick levels. Hopefully by the time the next TES rolls around they are able to do relatively deep RPGs in VR.
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

#282

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,317
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

November 1st, 2017, 10:24
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
I wonder if you can do the game without her.
Doubtful. You don't have to actually use her as a companion, but recruiting her is likely to be mandatory. Can't really see a way around that.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#283

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 6,808
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

November 1st, 2017, 12:09
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
I'd like to explore Tamriel in VR, but only if (and this is a big if) the game isn't dumbed down to VR gimmick levels.
I watched a stream yesterday, i think the VR version of Skyrim looks good actually, it has walking and not teleportation (i think you can choose it if you want). The fighting could be a huge improvement over the using a gamepad or mouse.
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#284

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 2,062
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

November 2nd, 2017, 17:07
Picked up Elex last night from CDKeys. I haven't had much chance to play beyond the first two hours, but here are my initial thoughts so far (keep in mind I'm playing on a i7 5820k processor with a GTX 980 Ti card and 32G RAM). I'm a couple weeks late, but for anyone still on the fence, perhaps this may convince you.

Firstly, the environment is gorgeous. Plant life seems to have taken hold of the starting area, but it's very colorful and vibrant. Graphically, the game is quite impressive. Off road paths seem very natural and fit within the game world. I feel as if I'm exploring the wilds that have been untouched by humanity for a long time.

Controls are very fluid and reactive to player input - there's very little (if any) input delay, which makes me feel I'm in control of my character. This is wonderful, a huge plus. The jetpack is fun and is very responsive.

Character animations are a bit stiff and don't appear natural, although this doesn't really bother me much and has already been mentioned by the community. I went in knowing what to expect, so that may have helped. However, the framerate is very smooth, and haven't encountered performance hindrances yet, which is a great sign.

I've heard combat to be a bit difficult for players, although I'm not having much trouble with it myself. I'm finding lots of potions but haven't felt the need to use them yet (I may ramp up the difficulty at some point, I'm playing on normal). The world is absolutely packed with miscellaneous goods and I can't help myself when the desire to explore suddenly emerges.

Beyond that, I haven't really had enough time to have a taste of what the game really has to offer, but initial impressions are good. Very good, in fact. I had a lot of fun within those first two hours, and at two points I lost track of time. Good? Bad? I think that's a good thing.

More to come soon (I'll have logged more time later in the afternoon today)!
--
~Watching since 2007~
Ragnaris is offline

Ragnaris

Ragnaris's Avatar
Watchdog

#285

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

November 2nd, 2017, 18:51
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
I watched a stream yesterday, i think the VR version of Skyrim looks good actually, it has walking and not teleportation (i think you can choose it if you want). The fighting could be a huge improvement over the using a gamepad or mouse.
Cool. For future VRPGs, my only concern is that they would dumb down the game to accommodate for the VR tech. I.e., simplify many of the systems due to the nature of the hardware. If they can still pump out a Skyrim-level RPG *AND* have it play well in VR, then I'm very game for it.

Originally Posted by Ragnaris View Post
Picked up Elex last night from CDKeys. I haven't had much chance to play beyond the first two hours, but here are my initial thoughts so far (keep in mind I'm playing on a i7 5820k processor with a GTX 980 Ti card and 32G RAM). I'm a couple weeks late, but for anyone still on the fence, perhaps this may convince you.

Firstly, the environment is gorgeous. Plant life seems to have taken hold of the starting area, but it's very colorful and vibrant. Graphically, the game is quite impressive. Off road paths seem very natural and fit within the game world. I feel as if I'm exploring the wilds that have been untouched by humanity for a long time.

Controls are very fluid and reactive to player input - there's very little (if any) input delay, which makes me feel I'm in control of my character. This is wonderful, a huge plus. The jetpack is fun and is very responsive.

Character animations are a bit stiff and don't appear natural, although this doesn't really bother me much and has already been mentioned by the community. I went in knowing what to expect, so that may have helped. However, the framerate is very smooth, and haven't encountered performance hindrances yet, which is a great sign.

I've heard combat to be a bit difficult for players, although I'm not having much trouble with it myself. I'm finding lots of potions but haven't felt the need to use them yet (I may ramp up the difficulty at some point, I'm playing on normal). The world is absolutely packed with miscellaneous goods and I can't help myself when the desire to explore suddenly emerges.

Beyond that, I haven't really had enough time to have a taste of what the game really has to offer, but initial impressions are good. Very good, in fact. I had a lot of fun within those first two hours, and at two points I lost track of time. Good? Bad? I think that's a good thing.

More to come soon (I'll have logged more time later in the afternoon today)!
Nice impressions! Have fun. It's a doozy.
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

#286

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,317
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

November 3rd, 2017, 00:14
One thing which really impressed me with this game is that it actually gave me a fright. I approached what I thought was a fire pit to roast some meat and this MASSIVE spider leapt out and I jumped, took my hands off the KB and Mouse and was dead before I recovered!! Did that happen to anyone else?
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

[email protected]
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#287

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,829
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

November 3rd, 2017, 00:16
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
One thing which really impressed me with this game is that it actually gave me a fright. I approached what I thought was a fire pit to roast some meat and this MASSIVE spider leapt out and I jumped, took my hands off the KB and Mouse and was dead before I recovered!! Did that happen to anyone else?
Oh god, me. I was walking along the beach at night, minding my business and collecting herbs, and BAM! Those damn spiders. Scared the bejeezus out of me!

The game also gave me a couple other jump scares while exploring. Those rot boars seem like they can be Rippers from the old Gothic games, i.e. hunt you a bit and then leap out of nowhere!
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

#288

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,317
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

November 3rd, 2017, 00:26
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
One thing which really impressed me with this game is that it actually gave me a fright. I approached what I thought was a fire pit to roast some meat and this MASSIVE spider leapt out and I jumped, took my hands off the KB and Mouse and was dead before I recovered!! Did that happen to anyone else?
Ooh! I’d love to experience that. I don’t remember the last time any game made me really jump.
--
~Watching since 2007~
Ragnaris is offline

Ragnaris

Ragnaris's Avatar
Watchdog

#289

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

November 3rd, 2017, 00:30
Only a couple of hours in but combat seems very clunky and doesn't flow at all. Thought I'd go back towards the starting area to try to get some easy xp but some of the wildlife kills me in one shot, humans too.

The "feel" is all Gothic/Risen which is great and you know there's a great amount of exploring to be done as well as questing, feels like a bit of grinding/practising is necessary.
kborom is offline

kborom

Watcher

#290

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Knaresborough, UK
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

November 3rd, 2017, 00:34
Originally Posted by kborom View Post
Only a couple of hours in but combat seems very clunky and doesn't flow at all. Thought I'd go back towards the starting area to try to get some easy xp but some of the wildlife kills me in one shot, humans too.

The "feel" is all Gothic/Risen which is great and you know there's a great amount of exploring to be done as well as questing, feels like a bit of grinding/practising is necessary.
Practicing, yes. It's a challenging combat system and you have to learn it to execute the best combo attacks, etc.. Grinding, not really necessary.

Trying to kill things is not a great idea until several hours into the game. It's slightly different from Gothic in that regard.
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

#291

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,317
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

November 3rd, 2017, 00:38
Originally Posted by kborom View Post
Only a couple of hours in but combat seems very clunky and doesn't flow at all. Thought I'd go back towards the starting area to try to get some easy xp but some of the wildlife kills me in one shot, humans too.

The "feel" is all Gothic/Risen which is great and you know there's a great amount of exploring to be done as well as questing, feels like a bit of grinding/practising is necessary.
My suggestions to you is to not do the fighting early on. Make your way north to the city there and find there companion there, that companion is fairly strong and will help a great deal in combat until you are strong enough(I've been intentionally vague to not be spoiling anything). Also I suggest keeping the "force push" spells you find instead of selling them, there are fights where your companion wont help, those come from triggering combat through dialogue, early on those spells help a great deal.
Damian is offline

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#292

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,949
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

November 3rd, 2017, 01:58
I finished ELEX today after 91 hours - Berzerker lvl. 44

A great open world RPG!
HiddenX is online now

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#293

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 10,407
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

November 3rd, 2017, 02:46
When I started I was playing it like an adventure game, never fighting anything if I couldn't help it. This changed a bit after I joined the clerics, I never liked games where I fight with a melee weapon so I'm mostly using my cleric weapons' mines and the companion to distract them while the mines do their job. This obviously doesn't work well with high skull enemies mostly because I don't want to use all my mana potions on an enemy that'll give me 120xp when a much easier one would give me 90.
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Dalek SasqWatch

#294

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tardis
Posts: 5,109
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

November 3rd, 2017, 06:05
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
When I started I was playing it like an adventure game, never fighting anything if I couldn't help it. This changed a bit after I joined the clerics, I never liked games where I fight with a melee weapon so I'm mostly using my cleric weapons' mines and the companion to distract them while the mines do their job. This obviously doesn't work well with high skull enemies mostly because I don't want to use all my mana potions on an enemy that'll give me 120xp when a much easier one would give me 90.
This is what I’m doing at the moment, running from just about everything and trying to explore and discover teleporters as much as I can. I find that I abuse the jet pack quite a bit. Although, I fight what I know I can handle, which is about 1% of everything out there.

I’m about 4 hours in at level 5, and I think I may side with the Clerics or Berserkers. I think my biggest hurdle right now is increasing my weapon damage, which I’m trying to focus on. Ideally, I’d like to be a ranged character, and meeting up with the Clerics may significantly help in that regard. Completing quests is aiding nicely in level progression, though.
--
~Watching since 2007~
Ragnaris is offline

Ragnaris

Ragnaris's Avatar
Watchdog

#295

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

November 3rd, 2017, 10:12
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
One thing which really impressed me with this game is that it actually gave me a fright. I approached what I thought was a fire pit to roast some meat and this MASSIVE spider leapt out and I jumped, took my hands off the KB and Mouse and was dead before I recovered!! Did that happen to anyone else?
Oh, those sneaky spiders. Their "hideout" is even fairly visible (puddle of blood on the ground), but I still kept missing them again and again! They surprised me so many times.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#296

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 6,808
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

November 3rd, 2017, 11:59
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
I finished ELEX today after 91 hours - Berzerker lvl. 44

A great open world RPG!
Will you replay as Cleric/Outlaw ?
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#297

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,368
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

November 3rd, 2017, 19:03
Does anyone know if the monsters (somewhat) reset after each chapter?
Dajjer is offline

Dajjer

Dajjer's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

#298

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 1,491
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

November 3rd, 2017, 19:13
Originally Posted by Dajjer View Post
Does anyone know if the monsters (somewhat) reset after each chapter?
There is mild respawning even within the same chapter.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#299

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 23,688
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

November 4th, 2017, 05:07
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
There is mild respawning even within the same chapter.
And the respawned monsters are selected by the game by after analyzing your character.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
Moderator
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#300

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,889
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Piranha Bytes » Elex » Elex First Impressions
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:32.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch