Elex So is there level scaling?

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch
Or maybe I'm going to all the wrong places all the time, but I'm level 13 now and still most enemies I see except rats have no problem kicking my arse (even those without a skull by their names).

No, you just suck. ;)

Seriously though, what difficulty level are you playing on? By level 13 you should be able to kill more than just rats.

No, you just suck. ;)

Seriously though, what difficulty level are you playing on? By level 13 you should be able to kill more than just rats.

Normal difficulty level. I mean I can kill normal stuff by spamming the cleric's mines attack, but that takes one bar of mana, so unless I go to sleep after every random battle, that means one energy potion used.
My point is that I have a cleric armor and a plasma rifle, much better than what I had many levels ago, and yet enemies can still 2-3 shot me and I don't do much damage with normal weapon, everywhere I go. Running around on a highway, 2-3 jackals come and I either use an energy potion or have to run like hell, which was fine when I was low level, but at 13? I still haven't seen a place where I can feel I'm actually stronger than before, so that's why I feel like enemies level-scale more than in Oblivion. That or I've had the worst luck always going to high level places.

2-3 jackals at once?! Bro, are you nuts? :lol:

Level 13, shoot. I would barely dare to attempt one jackal at level 13.

There is no level scaling. You are attempting to fight tougher enemies that are tough by design. I play on Ultra and the curve is very slow. Level 13 is not that high and the progression is very stretched. Eventually you will be Godlike like all other PB games. It just takes a lot of time. And some enemies are simply tough/high level. Jackals, Rippers, etc.. There are many difficult enemies all over the map and you have to avoid them until you are strong enough.

Last edited:
You need to use the terrain; I ALWAYS look for high ground and range from there. I also find my companion very helpful as she allows me to back off and heal if necessary while she takes damage then I can wade back in.

You need to use the terrain; I ALWAYS look for high ground and range from there. I also find my companion very helpful as she allows me to back off and heal if necessary while she takes damage then I can wade back in.

Absolutely agree on both points. I'm actually building a Charisma character and let my companion do most of the fighting while I get in free shots when I can.

Normal difficulty level. I mean I can kill normal stuff by spamming the cleric's mines attack, but that takes one bar of mana, so unless I go to sleep after every random battle, that means one energy potion used.
My point is that I have a cleric armor and a plasma rifle, much better than what I had many levels ago, and yet enemies can still 2-3 shot me and I don't do much damage with normal weapon, everywhere I go. Running around on a highway, 2-3 jackals come and I either use an energy potion or have to run like hell, which was fine when I was low level, but at 13? I still haven't seen a place where I can feel I'm actually stronger than before, so that's why I feel like enemies level-scale more than in Oblivion. That or I've had the worst luck always going to high level places.

There's no level-scaling in this game. It sounds like you just need to pick your fights a little more carefully. 2-3 Jackals at the same time would be a tough fight at level 13.

Try to draw tougher enemies out 1 at a time. Run around it and let your companion take shots until he/she draws the aggro. Attack the enemy from the side or the rear as soon as it focuses on your companion.

Also practice your dodging and blocking. Are you making use of the lock-on feature? That can also help in some fights. I like to lock-on right after dodging an attack, then I usually unlock when my stamina is low so I can easily retreat.

Lock on? Aren't enemies automatically locked on? it says so on the screen and I'm not pushing any button for that.

Look under combat difficulty in the options menu while in-game. I think "Enemy Focus" refers to the lock-on system. It's set to automatic by default when you start a new game. I find it better to have it set to manual, but YMMV.

If you go to the key-bindings menu, you'll find a key to lock/unlock enemies in combat. I don't remember what the default key is. I bound mine to an extra mouse button.

I find it easier to NOT lock-on, but I'm also using a Steam Controller. So I dunno.

Does the lock-on make it more like Gothic 2? I.e. you can lock on and then time a side step when an enemy is attacking, etc.?

Combat tips:

Always use a sidekick

In close combat:
use a sword and shield
  1. attack until your stamina is gone
  2. block with the shield until your sidekick runs out of stamina
  3. put your weapons down and go away (circle around the enemy) to regain stamina
  4. Goto 1

PS: Gain attributes for better weapons first.

Well that's the thing I'm not playing a swordy guy.
I'm level 18 now, I also got a new companion (the mage woman) and she can pretty much kill whatever comes around by herself with her 2 DoTs.

What is the highest level you have achieved? I'm assuming there's no cap.

Combat tips:

Always use a sidekick

In close combat:
use a sword and shield
  1. attack until your stamina is gone
  2. block with the shield until your sidekick runs out of stamina
    [*]put your weapons down and go away (circle around the enemy) to regain stamina
  3. Goto 1

PS: Gain attributes for better weapons first.

I just use jetback quickly and land behind the monster. This gives full stamina as well.

What is the highest level you have achieved? I'm assuming there's no cap.
I saw someone got to 46, but no idea what is actually possible.

There is no level cap and because trashmobs respawn you can grind your arse to any level you want.
Do you need any level you want? No, because regardless of your level you'll never be able to take skills/spells from factions you didn't choose.
Don't forget that small elex pots add XP.

I got to 48. I've heard of 51, and that player claimed he even reached a point where it stopped respawning. No idea if that's true or not, I haven't tried "grinding" during the late game, as a lot of high level enemies start spawning at that point.

No. Certain trashmobs respawn but their level stays the same. It's just you won't roam the certain map parts with big game while on low level.

Back
Top Bottom