RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

November 5th, 2017, 19:28
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
Worrying stuff:

Bug’s Life: the demise of insects
How is it worrying? It's a normal, it's just part of an extinction event and it happened multiple time on Earth already.

The current one is called the Holocene Extinction and we are 99% done killing every species that ever existed on then planet.
--
Mission Impossible: clean that overgrown backlog. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

November 7th, 2017, 02:11
Powering Saturn's Active Ocean Moon

Thrasher

Wheeee!

November 19th, 2017, 16:50
… They still do exist …
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazca_Lines
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 25th, 2017, 23:42
A new theory calls into question the need for dark matter and energy.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/science…stion/43700174

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this, or another modification of current theory, eventually does away with the dark thingies.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

+1:

November 26th, 2017, 02:49
Dark matter not existing is not a new thing. Although, it appear that Swiss has a different idea than the MOG/MOND theories.
--
Mission Impossible: clean that overgrown backlog. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 26th, 2017, 03:25
I dont know if this is the relevant thread for this, but I recently have accepted that the earth is older than 6000 years. I didnt accept it formerly because the scientific method wasnt followed as in you are supposed to prove every other possibility false before saying that the one that works is correct. It used to be the case that scientists in that area only tested on thing several times to come to a conclusion.

Now multiple scientists work on one find doing multiple tests in that rock layer where the fossil is found at on the fossils and the fauna and flora in that rock layer. And they all come to roughly agreeing dates which is an acceptable scientific method to me.

Hopefully this becomes standard and we no longer get "pointed" dates, ie dates where scientists deliberately try to get and comes more naturally.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 04:24
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 12:51
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Dark matter not existing is not a new thing. Although, it appear that Swiss has a different idea than the MOG/MOND theories.
Yes, there's long been a suspicion that dark matter might just be a fudge to account for problems in theory, or something else we're missing. But, although other alternate theories have proposed solutions to the formation of galaxies and velocities of stars, the elephant in the room has been gravitational lensing. When observing some distant galaxies, the gravitational lensing effect is far greater than the detectable mass would account for. This new theory will need to sort that one out if it is to be credible.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

November 26th, 2017, 14:54
I often wonder whether "dark matter" is just what Black Holes consist of ? I mean, they kind of "must" consist of some sort of mass, don't they ?

My thought was just this : Take enough unseen ( = dark ) black hole masses, and voilá ! You have enough literal(ly) "dark matter" !
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 26th, 2017, 15:00
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I often wonder whether "dark matter" is just what Black Holes consist of ? I mean, they kind of "must" consist of some sort of mass, don't they ?

My thought was just this : Take enough unseen ( = dark ) black hole masses, and voilá ! You have enough literal(ly) "dark matter" !
A black hole has a mass consisting of what matter was compressed, post star-collapse (not including what it's hoovered into it's gravity well, of course). It's basically a much more dense neutron star, except the surrounding gravity makes it impossible to observe what's actually happening with all that extra gravity and dense matter.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 15:09
Well, the amnount of mass it contains could probably calculated via the mass it has absorbed. So to say. The only obstacle in this is that no known being is living long enough to actually watch what it absorbs (a whole galaxy, perhaps ?) so to calculate what went in there.
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 26th, 2017, 15:21
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Well, the amnount of mass it contains could probably calculated via the mass it has absorbed. So to say. The only obstacle in this is that no known being is living long enough to actually watch what it absorbs (a whole galaxy, perhaps ?) so to calculate what went in there.
The problem with that, is that black holes also lose mass/energy over time, through Hawking radiation. Eventually, every black hole will evaporate to nothing.

But, though black holes pose some interesting questions, we can understand them in terms of normal matter and energy, without invoking dark matter and suchlike.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The Science Thread