Bethesda Softworks - New Game This E3?

So much negativity for a company that has done so much for the gaming community. People seriously need to get out more often and stop being so jaded.

So much negativity for a company that has done so much for the gaming community.
:lol: :lol: Gaming community…maybe, I guess? Certainly not the RPG community though. Unless you think being the #1 contributor to popularizing action RPGs over classic, true RPGs is a great thing? Even if you don't believe that the high sales of the Elder Scrolls games influenced other developers, then you can just look at what they did to the Fallout series alone. Fallout 4 is barely even recognizeable as an RPG, much less an actual good one.

They said just a few weeks ago that any new single player TES games haven't even started production yet. This "new game" is going to be something new (my guess: the elusive Starfield).

I also suspect it's going to be full of features I have no interest in like Fallout 4 was and all those mobile ties-in they have been making these last few years.

Am I the only one who put in over a hundred hours on Skyrim?

I got near 300 hours and I love the game and I'm waiting for a new single player TES too.

I also had over 600 h in Skyrim. It was a solid basis. Especially the combat was much better than in Oblivion (although, they "borrowed" the idea from the Deadly Reflexes mod). With mods you could build a very good game out of it.

Fallout 4 though, not an RPG anymore, so nothing you can salvage. It was such a big disappointment, that many here don't expect anything anymore from Bethesda. I was a huuuuuge Elder Scrolls fan and basically lived in the Oblivion modding forum. Now I don't have much hope for TES VI anymore seeing what they did to Fallout…

120hrs in Skyrim for me, unmodded, and I enjoyed them all. I also enjoyed the new Fallouts, albeit with diminishing returns. I'm hoping the next single player TES game won't go down the Fallout 4 route with a voiced protagonist and stripped back mechanics etc though.

Plenty of people loved Skyrim and Bethesda's Fallouts, me included. I'm not sure how many hours I put into each, but it was many. Sure, there were plenty of flaws that let them down, and I certainly would have preferred Bethesda take a different direction (not dumbing down game mechanics, better dialogue, etc). However, if I had the choice to live in a world where these games existed, or one in which they did not, then I know which I would choose.

I've put over 100 hours in every TES game, so they're on a pedestal with very few other series. That said, Fallout 4 was a serious step down from Skyrim, so I'm cautious about any further titles from Bethesda. I HOPE they don't screw up, but I'm not counting on it. The creation club was a moronic idea, so I'm not sure if Bethesda is still credible.

Nope. I haven't really been playing anything other than Skyrim in the last two weeks. I go back to the TES games whenever I get the urge, which is every 6 months or so.

I got an email from TES Online saying there's a big announcement coming on the 21st. I doubt it's related to this E3 hype machine stuff tho.

Not only am I also an oddball here loving Skyrim but I actually enjoy FO4 on par, if not better, than Skyrim. Two different games so hard to compare. FO4 has better graphics, way better companions and followers, awesome Dogmeat, highly enjoyable combat (I play FO on survival mode and even some mods to make it a little harder while in Skyrim I played on easy and didn't get into the combat), and a ton of content to explore - and I love the lore and atmosphere of the world. That being said I love fantasy, magic, and the natural environments of Skyrim even better.

I have 3264 hours in Skyrim (600 of which were on vanilla which I found playable although I wouldn't want to go bad after using mods and a good ENB).

For FO4, which is a much newer game, I have 1934 hours, of which 200 or so were unmodded. I like to play a game in vanilla mode first to get a feel for it.

I also think too many people forget modding these games wouldn't exist without the base game to begin with or the support for modding Beth provides.

FNV I got about 500 hours in (before I modded), Morrowind plus expansion was about 650 (not modded - I didn't mod till 2nd year of Skyrim).

Love open world games and Beth is one of the best at making them.

No, about 100 hours on the PS3, another 100 on the PS4, and at least double those figures on the PC, here. I'll put a few more in tonight.

So much negativity for a company that has done so much for the gaming community. People seriously need to get out more often and stop being so jaded.

Once a company gets really big, it's not "indie" enough for The Watch :biggrin:

I'm another who finds the modern Fallout games more interesting and immersive than TES. I'll take FO3/FNV/FO4 over Oblivion/Skyrim any day of the week.

I grew tired of generic high-fantasy settings a long time ago, and that's exactly what most of TES is to me.

As far as Starfield is concerned, I still think it's nothing but a red herring. I'll believe it's real when I actually see it.

I've 124 h in Skyrim and completed the main plot. I don't like sandbox gaming, so the game was mediocre for me (rated it 6.5/10).

And for sure I don't hate Bethesda. I just see three things:
  • They're a company that wants to earn money.
  • Skyrim is still played because of mods, gamers have thousands of hours in it. But Bethesda doesn't earn money here.
  • They've tried to earn money with paid mods in FO4.
So I think one way or another they'll have their way and monetize their game's great mod support.

Last edited:
Well, here's another thing that explains why they don't NEED to make another TES or Fallout yet:

https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/18/...rim-vr-hits-steams-top-10-in-less-than-a-day/

Less than 24 hours after Bethesda confirmed March 14 that the VR version of its beloved role-playing game was coming to PC-based headsets, the Steam listing for the game has reached the No. 9 spot on Steam’s Top Sellers list (at the time of writing). That’s not just for VR games; that’s for everything on Steam.

I played Skyrim for maybe forty hours, enjoyed it for what it was, and uninstalled when I was finished. I've never replayed it to this date, and doubt I ever will, to me it just wasn't that good.

Okay, they still got your money, so I think their goal was reached :) Skyrim is my all-time favorite game, but tastes differ. I can live with that.

I don't own VR, so they won't get money this time around, but I'll buy the new game whenever it comes out. The only way I wouldn't is if they change the formula or add in micro-transactions that are within the main game. If it's first-person, open world, I'm there.

Well, here's another thing that explains why they don't NEED to make another TES or Fallout yet:

https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/18/...rim-vr-hits-steams-top-10-in-less-than-a-day/

Less than 24 hours after Bethesda confirmed March 14 that the VR version of its beloved role-playing game was coming to PC-based headsets, the Steam listing for the game has reached the No. 9 spot on Steam’s Top Sellers list (at the time of writing). That’s not just for VR games; that’s for everything on Steam.
That's really impressive.
But still they currently only earn money from new Skyrim gamers, not from the ones having hundreds or thousands of hours.

Last edited:
Hadn't seen the Skyrim VR confirmation. Looking forward to that. Had it working in VR with hacks, but not really good enough to play properly. The potential was clear, though.

Cast your mind back to 2011 and there was no Kickstarter and no indie RPG boom. I am glad for Skyrim. Without that game popularising RPGs fewer developers would of looked at developing their own. It said the genre is alive and relevant at a time when there were slim pickings.

Maybe Skyrim had a part to play in that and maybe not but it kept the genre alive and is still an RPG even if only a bare bones one.

Fallout 4 can die in a nuclear fire through. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom