Kingmaker - Deep Silver Publisher

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PC Gamer Owlcat Games has announced that Deep Silver will be the publisher for Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Today Owlcat announced another big-name partnership, this time with Deep Silver, which has signed up to publish and distribute the game. "We have ambitious plans for Pathfinder: Kingmaker. We want to reach out to the maximum number of players across the globe, making our brand easily accessible, maintaining quality and doing right by the fanbase," Owlcat boss Oleg Shpilchevsky said. "Working with Deep Silver ensures we can step up our retail marketing and benefit from the unique experience offered with Koch." (Deep Silver is a division of Koch Media.)

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Not a bad choice but hope they don't pull any bad PR stunts.

Yea! I never had any complaints about deep silver other than a lot of their games don't interest me but overall I've been happy with them in the past.

Awesome, now, they just need to ensure the game is bug free as possible. I'm getting Kingmaker withdrawl symptom at the moment (damn you, game breaking bug!!!)

TBH I can't think of a better choice that includes a non-evil publisher that has an established track record.

Awesome, now, they just need to ensure the game is bug free as possible. I'm getting Kingmaker withdrawl symptom at the moment (damn you, game breaking bug!!!)
For last few years no game comes out bug free, everyone is now using release as beta testing with full version coming out later as Director Cut or whatever.

Weeell, not to rain on anyone's parade, but didn't they have a falling out with Piranha Bytes?
Bjorn ( or Jorn or Borg…bloody German names) kind of hinted they were meddling in design more than they liked.

For last few years no game comes out bug free, everyone is now using release as beta testing with full version coming out later as Director Cut or whatever.

Oh you, Archie. We need to set up twelve step decodex program. :)

Weeell, not to rain on anyone's parade, but didn't they have a falling out with Piranha Bytes?
Bjorn ( or Jorn or Borg…bloody German names) kind of hinted they were meddling in design more than they liked.

I thought it was JoWood that PB had the falling out with.

I thought it was JoWood that PB had the falling out with.

I think it was more a matter of releasing Gothic III too soon, but they didn't mess with design, far as I've heard.

Deep Silver ordered (forced) 3 DLC with Risen 2, it wasn't PB's idea to have those.
However, recent climate in DS is not DLCing everything, so them being a publisher is good news. IMO.

BREAKING NEWS

Deep Silver announces they intend to convert Kingmaker into the best Tactical Turn-Based RPG of all time!! :D Hell, YEAH!

Deep Silver ordered (forced) 3 DLC with Risen 2, it wasn't PB's idea to have those.
However, recent climate in DS is not DLCing everything, so them being a publisher is good news. IMO.
I remember that the DLC was just a few costumes and short quests anyway.
1) Treasure Island - Which people would get for Pre-Ordering and which costs ~10€ after, an entire island with extra quests and stuff
2) Pirate Costume - A special armor, boots, hat, gun and ring giving special stats and XP-Boni etc. (it's included in the Collector's Edition, but can apparently also be bought separately)
3) The Temple of Air - Which is apparently exclusive to the "Stahlbarts Schatz" Edition of the game that costs 90€ and people not ordering it that way can apparently only buy it "a few weeks later", it's also an entire island with extra quests etc.
BREAKING NEWS

Deep Silver announces they intend to convert Kingmaker into the best Tactical Turn-Based RPG of all time!! :D Hell, YEAH!
Doubt it Deep Silver is just helping with distribution and sales of the game. Just like Paradox with Pillars of Eternity. So they should have no control over the game.

Last edited:
Never heard anything like that @BoboTheMighty;

I think they asked Lester ( during development of Elex) will the game have similar designs to Gothic ( more "hardcore") or Risen..he said something along "not all decisions we made in last few games were our own and let's leave it at that".

Then again, he may have been talking about beer and sausages. Germans love those.

The Risen 2 DLC were already in the game's files at release. They made the content inaccessible and resold it as microtransactions. I don't know if that was Deep Silvers idea or Piranha Bytes, but it was scummy as hell.

The Risen 2 DLC were already in the game's files at release. They made the content inaccessible and resold it as microtransactions. I don't know if that was Deep Silvers idea or Piranha Bytes, but it was scummy as hell.

Risen 2 doesn't have microtransactions. As far as the DLC already being developed at the game's release, I think it's a shitty practice, but it was nothing new even back then.

If I had to guess though, I'd say it was probably the publisher's call.

So this wouldn't be considered a microtransaction?

I'd call that cheap DLC like Oblivion's horse armor. Most people consider microtransactions something you purchase from within the game. I can't think of many single-player games that have microtransactions.

Besides Mass Effect 3, I can't think of any other examples of this practice. Risen 2 is even worse than Mass Effect 3, because Piranha Bytes never told anybody it was cut content.

Don't be naive. No one is telling people when DLC is cut content. Plus you have no idea whether or not it was always planned to be DLC.

The Mass Effect 3 example is also much worse imo because it actually includes one of your companions. Players were forced to purchase it just to be able to have the full team. Bioware also did the same thing with Mass Effect 2.

I'd call that cheap DLC like Oblivion's horse armor. Most people consider microtransactions something you purchase from within the game.

Does it really matter if it's sold in-game or out? It's still charging money for cosmetics.

Don't be naive. No one is telling people when DLC is cut content. Plus you have no idea whether or not it was always planned to be DLC.

What does it matter? It's shady to cut out finished content and resell it at a later date.

I'm not going to debate whether Mass Effect 3 was worse or not, but Bioware was upfront months in advance that there would be day one DLC. Piranha Bytes dishonestly tried to pass off their cut content as being new, and when people found out it was always accessible using the console, they removed it from the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom