Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - More Reviews

I say for added authenticity they should speak in Greek and we should all read the subtitles :lol:
Just hire Mel Gibson then.:biggrin:

He's king of making historical movies with dead or ancient languages.

Just watch The Passion of the Christ & Apocalypto.

Unfortunately, he's also crazy as a box of frogs.

I totally agree on the weird side of the accent. If everyone has the same accent, it is no more an accent and you can spare us from it. In TW3 accents depended on the origins of the people and it sounded more "right".

Anyway, beside that, I feel those critics are totally unwarranted on this particular game. Graphics don't feel at all like random generated. I also do not feel compelled to buy anything from the store.
Exp is coming along nicely with the story, without using those skirmishes, as I always had the right level range to explore the new places I was proposed to visit.
Anyway, there is enought quests to keep you busy and some of them have nice twists. Getting there and certainly hugely better than the AC I tried years ago.

Why? I wouldn't mind greek vo with english subs. But seriously, I don't see any problems Vavra does.
That imho would be better than a greek accent, yes.

You mean that if we're suspending disbelief that they're speaking English in Ancient Greece, what's the point in a contemporary Greek accent?

I don't understand this. Are you saying protagonist should sound like an English person?
I have a Greek guy at work and he speaks English with an accent similar to the game.
My point is that the Greek just did not speak with an accent. They spoke their mother tongue. So imho in a video game (or movie) they shouldn't speak with an accent. Letting them speak with an accent suggests that they're in fact trying to speak the other language (english) but "fail" to do so accent-free.

It's not a big deal though. I'd of course enjoy an otherwise good game as well.

That imho would be better than a greek accent, yes.

My point is that the Greek just did not speak with an accent. They spoke their mother tongue. So imho in a video game (or movie) they shouldn't speak with an accent. Letting them speak with an accent suggests that they're in fact trying to speak the other language (english) but "fail" to do so accent-free.

It's not a big deal though. I'd of course enjoy an otherwise good game as well.

Fair enough but for me watching someone from Greek speaking in queen English will sound very odd and will break "immersion" :) They went out of their way to make the NPC looks very Greek like so it will be even worse. I think this is Ubisoft's reasoning as well.

My point is that the Greek just did not speak with an accent. They spoke their mother tongue. So imho in a video game (or movie) they shouldn't speak with an accent.

Of course they speak with an accent. Languages come with accents. Another conformistic fit.

Not only they spoke with one accent but they also spoke with different accents depending on where they were born and raised.
The great wave of uniformization that has been striking these days has not always been.
And even that will leave one accent at the end of the day.

Of course they speak with an accent. Languages come with accents. Another conformistic fit.

Not only they spoke with one accent but they also spoke with different accents depending on where they were born and raised.
The great wave of uniformization that has been striking these days has not always been.
And even that will leave one accent at the end of the day.
That's not accent, thats dialect.

That's not accent, thats dialect.

The way I understand is that,

accent = pronunciation or sound.
dialect = [accent ] plus different vocabulary and/or grammar.

So accent and dialect are very closely related. For example you can still speak "proper" English in cockney (London English accent ) accent and in fact many do so in London. So once can argue even English people have different accent .

Back
Top Bottom