Baldur's Gate 3 rumors

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Well, not sure if this is the Codex trolling, but it is rumored that Larian acquired the BG license…

Codex "source" here.
The rumor is further fueled by a tweet from Fargo who claims to know who's making BG3…

I really, really hope that (if true) they leave the Bhaalspawn saga be, and come up with a new adventure in the Forgotten Realms.

Oh great....... just can't leave this license alone, can they. SIGH.

If this is going to happen, hope they leave Bhaalspawn saga behind, no more of stupid forced in story like Dragonspear.

I feel this "news" as promising a trip to moon next year to terminally ill person.

Wouldn't they also have to acquire license to the D&D system? Baldur's Gate is just a setting, so without it they'd have to use their own combat rules, spells, etc.

Without the D&D ruleset, this would probably just be another Pillars of Eternity.

My quick takes:

1. Sounds very exciting!
2. I hope, hope, hope, that if it is Larian, that they use a new engine, or a completely overhauled engine so that it looks nothing like the Original Sin games. In other words, no goofy looking character or monster models, no goofy feeling at all present in the world.
3. This could be a huge hit, so don't screw it up. I also agree with other comments to ditch the previous story altogether, and go for a new fantasy story and adventure.

Wouldn't they also have to acquire license to the D&D system? Baldur's Gate is just a setting, so without it they'd have to use their own combat rules, spells, etc.

Without the D&D ruleset, this would probably just be another Pillars of Eternity.

D&D and the Forgotten Realms settings (Baldur's Gate is a city in FR), all belong to Wizard of the Coast (which itself is owned by Hasbro), but Beamdog owns the publisher rights on the Baldur's Gate IP as far as I know (which were at Atari before that).

I don't think WotC/Hasbro can give the BG license to another studio like that and I doubt Beamdog is going to sell the only thing that makes them money. On top of it, the BG story was finished by Throne of Bhaal, there is nothing more to tell there (I don't get this obsession about BG3 personally).

It would make a lot more sense to ask for a D&D/FR licences from WotC and start something new. WoTC has no issue sharing those.

edit: Larian denied the rumor

I'm relieved.

Larian's IP is doing just fine. They don't need to resurrect a long dead franchise to milk it; Beamdog has that handled.

Honestly I wouldn't have minded a new adventure in the Forgotten Realms, and Larian could have done a good job I think (if they managed to strike the right "tone")… So in that respect, if it was Baldur's Gate in name only, I am disappointed.

If we're talking about a continuation of the Bhaalspawn saga, then yes, I am relieved.

I wouldn't mind another game set in Forgotten Realms but it better not be Sword Coast again.

Don't know as the last documentary video said they need to make something new.

So to me his words sound like he wants to move away from making more Original Sin games for a while, and make something different. Here's the video from this week.

Last edited:
I believe the original idea for a Baldur's Gate 3 was that it turns out some of the Bhallspawn survived and didn't pursue their heritage. Or maybe it was the fact that
You didn't pursue your heritage in one of the endings so the world is running around without a god of murder.

The reason for no D&D is its obviously a license issue and WotC has vetoed stuff that they didn't like. CRPG devs have been avoiding licensing the game since the 70's.

Eh? What would be the point, saga is fully done. Even the name Baldur's Gate 2 was kind of odd. Not sure if Larian/Belgian quirkiness is the right choice here.
Though come to think of it, BG 1 had that talking chicken quest.

Yea, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this. They could be working on something like this, and just deny it, because they don't want to reveal it yet.

And the big deal about Baldur's Gate 3 is the name. That name has big value because many people recognize it. And it could be a new game made totally fresh, and with maybe just a tiny remnant of connection to the original games, but it would still have that name. Like - "this new hero had a cousin who was the long lost child of one of the notable characters in the city of Baldur's Gate, and here he is embarking on a brand new adventure, which will also reveal secrets of his family's past". Something that tangential, and the game would probably still have big sales potential, just because of the name.

I would love to see a new D&D game and if it has to be Baldur's Gate 3, so be it. One thing that Kingmaker has shown me is that D&D character creation and advancement is second to none. Would love to see 5e also.

Back
Top Bottom