Element: Space - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gamasutra Element: Space is an isometric turn-based RPG set in space, and due for release Q4 of this year on Steam.

Element: Space is slated for release in Q4 of this year for PC on Steam, with the possibly of other platforms to follow.

“We love classic narrative-driven games and turn-based strategy. But we’re also mixing in the things we always wanted to see in the genre – refining turn-based tactical combat on hand-crafted levels while delivering a big story that changes and evolves with your actions,” said Entelman.

In Element: Space players take on the role of spacecraft Captain Christopher Pietham, leading his squadron of various companions into intergalactic conflict and dealing with the consequences of their choices throughout a deep story and combat which are altered by the player’s choices and actions.

The single-player game has core aspects of a classic squad-based tactical RPG but, rather than procedurally-generated missions, each is hand-crafted, non-linear, contains free-form combat, and is revealed based upon the player’s selection of factions, ideology, companions and more. The game must be replayed to experience the entire universe and story. Woven throughout the game is the power of the ‘Sixth Vowel’, which can best be described as humanity’s capacity for altering reality by manipulating sound, light and motion at will.

Element: Space features...

• A story and gameplay where every choice matters. Players’ selection of ideology, faction alliance, squad mate companions and behavior affect the weapon availability, skills, loyalty and the direction the story will take. “We want players to feel the pressure of each decision they make to advance the story,” said Entelman.

• 24 branching hand-crafted missions/submissions. Players experience 8 non-linear missions or submissions each time they play, determined by their choices, for an estimated 12-15+ hours per playthrough.
  • 8 faction worlds to explore (+3 non-playable). Each one represents a vastly different culture, agenda and architectural style, making the final game visually rich and diverse. Factions also provide unique bonuses depending upon how well you bond with them.

• 8 potential companions to join you on your mission. Recruit your ‘party of five’ from eight unique squad-mates as you race against time. Each unlocks different stories, weapons and/or specialized combat skills. However, Entelman added, “you’ll have to play the game multiple times to see just how different each potential ally works for your team.”
  • A compelling battle system. Turn-based free-form combinations of movement, skills and attacks enables a unique team-based approach. A selection of 32 melee and ranged weapons, some unlocked based on faction relationships; Companions each have unique skills and develop 2 of 6 archetypes, with no two characters having the same combination; each set of enemies combine their abilities to challenge the player in a new way – all of this combines for complex combat and high replay-ability.
The scope of Element: Space makes the game and IP the first of its kind to be developed in a Spanish-speaking Latin America country, so the team realizes the opportunity to change perceptions about the emerging market and put the region on the map.

“It’s our goal to show a greater level of quality and talent from this largely untapped region, said Emiliano Giacobbe, studio CCO. “Raising this bar is key, as it is an industry growth investment for LatAm, and will change worldwide perception of what the region can develop independently.”

Sixth Vowel’s parent company and the game’s publisher, Inca Games, is currently seeking co-publishing partners to help bring the game to a global audience. Element: Space is scheduled for release in Q4 2018 for PC, with the possibility of console versions to follow. For additional information, please visit www.element-space.com.

About Sixth Vowel

Sixth Vowel is the in-house development studio of Inca Games, brought together by a shared passion to create exciting and creative experiences for gamers around the world. The company was born out of a commitment of making high-quality products with the goal to become one of the largest studios in Latin America. The team consists of talent from different countries and cultures with the conviction to tell amazing stories.

From the beginning we have assembled a talented team from different countries and cultures with the conviction of telling amazing stories. Please visit www.sixthvowel.com for additional information.

About Inca Games

Based in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Inca Games is the first Spanish-speaking Latin American games publisher with both a regional focus and global scale. Inca Games helps the LatAM developers bring the best games of the region to market, fosters the burgeoning games community with better access, and provides opportunities for worldwide co-publishing partners within the region.

A privately-held company with additional offices in the Netherlands and San Francisco will also release Team Guazu’s Shadow Brawlers and Gaulicho Studio’s Tango: The Adventure Game through its incubator and publishing arm. For additional information, please visit www.incagames.com.
More information.

Nope and when i do i don't spend x seconds/minutes planing my next move; the story telling in a 12 hour game is quite minimal when you throw in the time between turns.

Did you care to notice the "estimated" part?

Anyway, some great stories don't take more than half an hour to tell.

But, to each his own.

I have problems with short games as well as I usually need some hours to become comfortable with a game.

Apart from that it looks worth following.

And I really don't care at all if this game is made in Latin America, Jamaica or Atlantis. It's irrelevant for the game itself. I wonder why something like this needs explicitly to be stated in a press release.

Nier Automata in space. Rince repeat at least 8 times because why not. Add as many factions and companions as possible then make them locked for no reason. It's good to have choices that matter, but sacrificing content within a playthrough by cutting time needed to reach the end caused by overdoing choices is bad design.
“you’ll have to play the game multiple times to see just how different each potential ally works for your team.”
Multiple times?
star-trek-gif-7.gif

No I'm not going to play it at all, I'm gonna skippit. Wake me up when they make a sequel with 3-4 factions max. And companions. And without cloning Nier Automata replaygrind design.
And I really don't care at all if this game is made in Latin America, Jamaica or Atlantis.
I want a game from Atlantis! :D

Well another game I never heard of that now has my interest. As for the 12 to 15 hours of game play it doesn't bother me as I enjoy shorter RPGs like Tyranny.

Adventure games are typically not much longer than 6-10 hours - and progress is usually MUCH slower than turn-based combat games.

You can be stuck for hours trying to figure something out.

Also, we don't know if those 12-15 hours are for the story content - or if they just assume you're a slow player, or whatever.

I like long games myself - but I can enjoy all kinds. No need to dismiss things out of hand like that.

Skippy skipped the first lame video and in the end YT offered me a fantastic Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE | Ep. #2 video , where beautiful, fit girls in slow motion did amazing Olympic feats. What was this game about? Ah, doesn't matter.. I love fit girls!!

Nice surprise! Never heard about that, but it reminds me a lot of Torment (of course, with much shorter textx).

Why all those comments about some estimated gametime? Its unknown indie, maybe shorter, but with C&C and it could be really good. They could make LONGER (and better) RPGs in future if we will support indie teams like this (if they will deliver good game). Do you think it will help if you bitch about every newbie team that their FIRST CRPG doesnt have "at least half gametime of Witcher 3" or something? Are ppl more grumpy here lately?

--------
joxer said:
I want a game from Atlantis!

Well I think game development there has been going downhill some time ago.

I heard they are testing some underwater simulation game there.

Why all those comments about some estimated gametime? Its unknown indie, maybe shorter, but with C&C and it could be really good. They could make LONGER (and better) RPGs in future if we will support indie teams like this (if they will deliver good game). Do you think it will help if you bitch about every newbie team that their FIRST CRPG doesnt have "at least half gametime of Witcher 3" or something?Are ppl more grumpy here lately?
FarFalme simple answer yes the members are getting older.

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26002

Skippy skipped the first lame video and in the end YT offered me a fantastic Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE | Ep. #2 video , where beautiful, fit girls in slow motion did amazing Olympic feats. What was this game about? Ah, doesn't matter.. I love fit girls!!

And I thought you're not a kid anymore. Sheesh.

If you were talking about fitgirl from russia however, yea, compression methods she uses rock absolutely.

Could be worth checking out. Setting looks interesting. I will probably wait for a review or two though.

I would give this a pass (the fact that they high-lighted this aspect not the game). They are a small group and probably feel quite a bit of pride in what they accomplished in an area not known for game developers. That doesn't mean the game will be good or bad but....

And I really don't care at all if this game is made in Latin America, Jamaica or Atlantis. It's irrelevant for the game itself. I wonder why something like this needs explicitly to be stated in a press release.

the reason I called out the play time is because in the description they describe it as:
"… refining turn-based tactical combat on hand-crafted levels while delivering a big story that changes and evolves with your actions.
--
While it might be a fantastic deep story that under goes many twists and turns as it evolves it can't be too big and deep with limited time :)
-
Now his usage of adverbs might be misdirected as English is not his native language. Perhaps he meant big as in awe-inspiring and thought provoking quickly told as the clock twirls.

or
perhaps i took his comments too seriously and we have no clue (good or bad) what this game will deliver.

Adventure games are typically not much longer than 6-10 hours - and progress is usually MUCH slower than turn-based combat games.

You can be stuck for hours trying to figure something out.

Also, we don't know if those 12-15 hours are for the story content - or if they just assume you're a slow player, or whatever.

I like long games myself - but I can enjoy all kinds. No need to dismiss things out of hand like that.

Back
Top Bottom