Black Geyser - Releases March 17th - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Black Geyser - Releases March 17th

Default Black Geyser - Releases March 17th

February 7th, 2022, 21:06
RPGamer reports that Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness would graduate to full release on March 17th.

Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness Releasing in March

V Publishing and GrapeOcean Technologies announced that Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness will fully release on March 17, 2022. The full version of the party-based cRPG will be available on PC, Mac, and Linux through Steam and GOG.com for $24.99 after spending a little over six months on Early Access.

Black Geyser is inspired by classic cRPGs such as Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale and underwent a successful Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign in 2018. The game is set in the kingdom of Isilmerald, on the fantasy world of Yerengal, and features real-time-with-pause combat.

[…]
More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
+1:

February 7th, 2022, 21:10
Great to hear!

I bought it during the christmas sale and I have been waiting eagerly for a release date. The Ides of March should suit me perfectly for starting to play this.

Feist

Sentinel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

February 7th, 2022, 21:32
Originally Posted by Feist View Post
I bought it during the christmas sale
Did they have a sale before release? What kind of sales strategy is that?

I am positively surprised to hear that the game will be released. Looking forward finding out whether they actually made a troll called - who was it again?

I have a better feeling about this game than the Waylanders. Might be as buggy at release but somehow by more or less copying the looks of Baldur's gate one cannot go very wrong, I hope.

largh

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

February 7th, 2022, 21:43
Originally Posted by largh View Post
Did they have a sale before release? What kind of sales strategy is that?

I am positively surprised to hear that the game will be released. Looking forward finding out whether they actually made a troll called - who was it again?

I have a better feeling about this game than the Waylanders. Might be as buggy at release but somehow by more or less copying the looks of Baldur's gate one cannot go very wrong, I hope.
Im quite hopeful about this one as well. I'm not expecting anything extravagant that could really match up with BG or WotR, so I think going in with modest expectations this could still be quite a bit of fun.

It was on sale during christmas (I had to check to make sure). I bought it for 21.24Euro and it now costs 24,99Euro.

Feist

Sentinel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

February 7th, 2022, 22:46
That one has been sitting on my wish list for a while. At full price, it's now 28.99 CAD so it's still very reasonable. I think I will wait until the game get released and I can read a few reviews.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:

February 8th, 2022, 01:54
Nice!

Been tentatively looking forward to this one.

I wonder how much time it'll need for patching before it's good

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 02:06
I backed this years ago. Great to see it’s finally releasing. It’s launch icon has been on my desktop for several months!
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 02:42
I also have been waiting for this. Have some mixed feelings but plan on trying it.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
+1:

February 8th, 2022, 02:49
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
I also have been waiting for this. Have some mixed feelings but plan on trying it.
Please share your impression when you play it!
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate 2, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale

purpleblob1

Princess

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 03:22
I smell another The Waylanders launch situation incoming.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Half Rotten Potato

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 03:33
I played about 25 hours of this and I actually liked it fairly well except for the Greed mechanic itself. Most quests will reward you with money or items but not accepting these items lowers the amount of greed in the world. Sorry, game devs, I want the loot and the world can burn

It was very stable and the few bugs I encountered were annoyances, not game breaking. Of course, that was 15 game updates ago, so everything could have changed.

I may go ahead and fire this up again before release since they have massively updated spells and magic damage. In the early alpha melee combat was the only way to go.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut
Last edited by crpgnut; February 8th, 2022 at 03:47.

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 03:34
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I smell another The Waylanders launch situation incoming.
I don't know why. The reviews on Steam are generally positive for Black Geyser. It may end up being an underwhelming game, but there's no sign of the bugginess or weird design decisions of Waylanders.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 03:35
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I played about 25 hours of this and I actually liked it fairly well except for the Greed mechanic itself. Most quests will reward you with money or items but not accepting these items lowers the amount of greed in the world. Sorry, game devs, I want the loot and the world can burn
So what you dislike about the mechanic is that it makes you feel bad about the way you prefer to play?

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 03:51
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I don't know why. The reviews on Steam are generally positive for Black Geyser. It may end up being an underwhelming game, but there's no sign of the bugginess or weird design decisions of Waylanders.
Simple because of constant delays and it's short Early Access cycle. It's been patched like crazy though and I don't expect that to stop once it's fully launched either.

Yes I know games getting 100+ hot-fixes and patches is the new accepted norm.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Half Rotten Potato

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 05:46
I put a few hours into the beta and wasn't impressed. It'll probably be fine for people just looking for another party-based game with RTwP combat, but keep your expectations in check. It's no Baldur's Gate or Pillars of Eternity.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 06:10
I was a kickstarter backer and I think the quality is about what I expected. It is still quite rough and in many ways similar to ATOM. I think it will be well worth playing in a year or two from now.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 10:28
…I actually liked it fairly well except for the Greed mechanic itself. Most quests will reward you with money or items but not accepting these items lowers the amount of greed in the world. Sorry, game devs, I want the loot and the world can burn
This is also what I feared when first reading about it years ago. Why cancel an elementary piece of RPGs partly out this way?

I can understand if a Paladin refuses payment, but as a concept for the whole game it might be too much. I will wait for some reviews before buying.

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 13:12
Sorry, game devs, I want the loot and the world can burn
But isn't the machanic exactly giving you this solution?
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Black Geyser
Last edited by Morrandir; February 8th, 2022 at 13:39.

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
+1:

February 8th, 2022, 16:20
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
But isn't the machanic exactly giving you this solution?
Yes, the mechanic does allow you to loot. It does tie looting to evil though. I've played both ways and the game really is about zero fun without the loot. They didn't really flesh out the idea of a good play through, imo.

The biggest sin for me though is magic using characters. Even though the game isn't AD&D they went with the outdated idea of extremely wimpy mages that can cast 1-3 spells at early levels and then they're wiped. Multiclass is a no-no in this title because you don't have enough skill/stat points to split into two classes.

Like @JDR13 said, this game is probably decent for anyone who likes melee builds and RTwP combat. I prefer mage builds, but still got 25 hours of fun out of it last year. I don't know how much I'll mess with it this year, but I did install it again to see if mages have a more even playing field. I died in the very first battle, lol. That's fine though. I expect mages to need to hide behind tanks but I was testing….
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 16:37
The biggest sin for me though is magic using characters. Even though the game isn't AD&D they went with the outdated idea of extremely wimpy mages that can cast 1-3 spells at early levels and then they're wiped. Multiclass is a no-no in this title because you don't have enough skill/stat points to split into two classes.
Ohh, you suddenly got me more interested in that game. I like games that require teamwork with no do-it-all characters. Mages should be wimps on the backline ;-)

But yeah, looting being assimilated with "evil" sounds silly. There's nothing evil about getting some silver coins from the warm corpse of a goblin.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Black Geyser - Releases March 17th