Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Vampire: The Masquerade Swansong Official Gameplay Overview Trailer

Get a gameplay overview of Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong, the upcoming story-based RPG that will let you use stealth, persuasion, investigation, and good ol' brute force in order to solve the mystery of who's attacking the Boston vampire community. Swansong will be released on May 19 for PC (via the Epic Games Store), Xbox platforms, and PlayStation platforms.
Monster Hunter: Rise Sunbreak Trailer

Team up with the Knights of the Royal Order and face the biggest threats yet: Garangolm, Lunagaron and Malzeno!
Stellaris Overlord Announced

Overlord, a new full expansion for Stellaris, grants access to new features designed to unlock the next level of your empire. Guide a galaxy full of potential subjects to glory - or subjugation. New mechanics provide many ways to specialize your vassals roles within your empire, bring new planets and subjects under your reign, and new magnificent megastructures to project your power further, faster.
Rooted A New Survival Game Inspired by The Last of Us

An indie team is currently working on a brand new survival game that is inspired by The Last of Us using Unreal Engine 5, called Rooted. While this game is in a really early development stage, you can find below some prototype videos.

New Short Game-play Trailer for ARPG Thymesia

Today, let's take a closer look at the dodge mechanic in the game. We will release a series of this kind of videos in the future. Be sure to follow us on socials so you don't miss anything.
Chrono Trigger Mod brings it closer to the classic SNES Version - Nexus
Modder Shiryu has released a brand new mod for the PC version of Chrono Trigger that brings it closer to the original/classic SNES version.
PC requirements for Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - DSOGaming
Gearbox has revealed the official PC system requirements for its upcoming FPS, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands. According to the specs, the game will be using both the DX11 and DX12 APIs, and PC gamers will need 75GB of free hard-disk space.
Solasta: Crown of the Magister - Beta-Weekend is Live
Hey there everyone, We hope you're as excited as we are about Solasta's Multiplayer Beta Weekend! Without further ado, here are the guidelines to have a nice co-op gaming session. Oh and by the way, if you weren't there yesterday there is a VOD of our Dev Co-op stream available here.
Hogwarts Legacy: Your first look at Extended Gameplay
Hi, I’m Chandler Wood. I’m a Slytherin and the Community Manager here at Avalanche Software. It’s been a while since we first revealed Hogwarts Legacy. Back then I still hadn’t even joined the studio. Now I’m part of this incredible team that has put a ton of effort into making sure our gameplay reveal would be worth the wait. We couldn’t be more excited that it’s finally here.

The First 14 Minutes of ANNO: Mutationem Gameplay

Anno: Mutationem is a side-scrolling action adventure game with pixel graphics and a cyberpunk setting. This Anno:Mutationem new gameplay showcases the action combat, voice work, the awesome world, and should provide good first impressions of this hot new indie game. If you like anime action, make sure to watch this gameplay to see if it's right for you.
STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN Released - Epic Games

Discover the intense action-RPG born from the collaboration of Team Ninja, Koei Tecmo and Square Enix.

A free demo is available on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One for download. Experience the first three stages, multiplayer, and carry over your saved data to the full game.

Fight your way through fierce battles with a variety of means to defeat your enemies. With multiple difficulty options and a wide selection of jobs and weapons available to customize your party, you can choose exactly how you want to play.
BABYLON'S FALL Still Standing - Square Enix Tweet
Is the continuing service in danger?

No, there are no plans to reduce the scale of development on Babylon's Fall.
Content up to the end of season 2 is now practically complete and we have started work on season three and beyond.

We will continue to provide new content for the game and make improvements based on player feedback, striving to keep existing players playing and to attract newcomers.

We would like to thank all Sentinels already enjoying the world of babylon's fall, as we look forward to welcoming more of you in the future!

The First 14 Minutes of ANNO: Mutationem Gameplay

I still wonder why the makers of the Anno series didn't intervene for a name change.

Or, maybe, because the Anno series is from a completely different genre ...

Top RPG News Mar 20, 2022

Happy weekend from Fextralife! If you've been too busy to keep up on the latest in the games we cover or are looking for a refresher we've got you covered! Here's a bite-sized version of the Top RPG news of the week. Taste all the latest news across the Fextralife Wiki Network.
The Iron Oath Early Access Release Date Announced - Kickstarter

Hello backers! We can finally reveal what we've been so secretive about for the last few months: The Iron Oath will be releasing into Early Access on April 19th!
Phantom Brigade Early Access - Update 16: Pump Up the Base

Phantom Brigade's sweet 16th update, Pump Up the Base, is here, featuring a brand new mobile base upgrade system, improved inventory management, QoL changes, and more!

Legends of Ellaria - Modding Support is Here
Hallo Ellarians, We've got some good news, the modding support is up and running, and it comes with a brand new modding tool. The modding tool comes as a Unity Project with configurable interfaces and scripts that you can run during the game. We've also included documentation and an example mod that comes with the modding tool. In addition, we will support the modding tool through our discord channel and answer any questions you may have.
Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen March 2022 Newsletter
Take a look at Marchs Producer's Letter for more on what we're up to. We then head into our month-in-review for anything you may have missed. Also this month we have included new screenshots and video of the new client build in our HDRP Gallery. And wrapping up, March's Community Feature is a discussion with Spof.
System Shock Remastered Edition Update #85 - Kickstarter
The finish line is approaching and we will be closing out backerkit at the end of this month, so make sure your survey is updated. If you have sent an email for Backerkit assistance, we will be getting to it asap, but feel free to bump your email with any updated information needed for your survey!

20 NEW Hack And Slash Games of 2022 And Beyond

Slashing swords and walloping through enemies at blazing speeds is a prospect that never gets old, and as such - hack and slash games have continued to enjoy mainstream popularity for the longest of time.
Future Games Show Spring Showcase Trailer 2022

Join us on March 24th for more World Premieres, Exclusive gameplay and developer presentations from over 40 games. All Hosted by the stars of Horizon Forbidden West, Ashly Burch And John Macmillian The show will be broadcast worldwide on GamesRadar.com or right here on YouTube.

Star Wars Ubisoft Massive Game to Release in 2025 at the Earliest? - Wccftech
Ubisoft Massive's Star Wars project is not going to see the light of day until 2025 at the earliest, according to rumors circulating online. Following their report of a massive Ubisoft game showcase, Tom Henderson elaborated on the absence from his list of the Star Wars game, saying that it is the game furthest from release from the publisher, adding that we're probably looking at a 2025 release at the earliest.
From Soulslikes to 'Roguelites - Lifehacker
Every popular video game subgenre has a nickname, but the average player might not know what they mean.
10 Years Ago This Month Mass Effect 3's Ending - GamesIndustry.biz
The games industry moves pretty fast, and there's a tendency for all involved to look constantly to what's next without so much worrying about what came before. That said, even an industry so entrenched in the now can learn from its past. So to refresh our collective memory and perhaps offer some perspective on our field's history, GamesIndustry.biz runs this monthly feature highlighting happenings in gaming from exactly a decade ago.
Elden Ring's NPC Quest Markers are just a Band-Aid - PCGamer
I don't like the NPC markers, but I also don't have a better solution. Players shouldn't be expected to complete a game of this size multiple times to be fulfilled by its quests‚ but then again, does every game need to make its best moments easily discoverable?

If anything, Elden Ring is a testament to FromSoft's dogged pursuit of ambiguous game design and how it gradually taught players how to enjoy its storytelling style over seven games and 13 years. I'm a little sad that, thanks to Elden Ring's adoption by a bigger audience than ever before in the series, parts of that philosophy are being compromised. All videogames are smoke-and-mirrors. Showing too much of their workings may well help players finish a checklist: it also makes the experience just that little bit more functional, and less surprising.
Fable Development Slow Because of Playground Games - TheGamer
According to Fernandez, development on Fable was slow during his time at the company, claiming that Playground Games, “lacked people with knowledge" on how to actually make a slow-paced RPG.

"They're very smart and they know what they're doing. They wanted to branch out with something different and they thought that what they do well is open-world racing games, [but] they lacked people with the knowledge of how gameplay is done. In an open world, how you control a character and the actions are very different from what you have in a racing game."

Mass Effect 5 Needs To Be More Like Andromeda
Most games want to have a good story, with iconic characters, nuanced moral dilemmas, paced in the most engaging and absorbing way. But you can’t just put Mass Effect 2 into a computer and have it spit out a new game with all those elements rearranged in a different yet equally satisfying way. Andromeda’s combat, however, can be copied. I don’t know what Mass Effect 5’s story will be like, and I’m not sure if just adding in Liara is enough to capture the original trilogy’s magic. But if it uses Andromeda’s combat engine, maybe with a little bit of polish and some new abilities thrown in there, it will at least be a lot of fun to play, even if it’s not very good.
Why Are We All Still Playing Skyrim Ten Years Later?
A decade after it first launched, millions of people are still playing, discussing, writing articles, and making videos about Bethesda's unstoppable fantasy RPG. There's something about Skyrim that keeps people coming back year after year, and it's made an impact on pop culture that most games could only dream of. Even if someone doesn't care about video games, they probably at least vaguely know what Skyrim is€ along with Super Mario, Tetris, and World of Warcraft. But why? What is it that makes this game so damn powerful?
Starfield's Marketing Is Making Space Skyrim Sound Boring
I hope that Bethesda is keeping gameplay in the back for a good reason, and that the reveal will blow all of our tiny little minds. But at present, we know so little about the game and it’s infuriating that the developers are pretending that these faux-interviews are giving us any insight into what the game will be like. Multiple dialogue options? Different factions? This is the most basic RPG stuff.

Bethesda doesn’t have to spoil everything, I just want it to show something. Anything. Give me panning shots of planets, spaceships roaming the stars, let me see a freaky little alien giraffe that I’ll be able to befriend or corrupt depending on my moral alignment and skill choices. Just show me a weird purple creature! I’m excited to see a new science fiction IP in a world of endless Star Wars regurgitations and constant remakes and sequels, but Starfield hasn’t offered us anything new yet. It’s characters we don’t know in a universe we’ve never seen, but the only things that the devs have actually told us about so far are archaic RPG basics. Riveting.

The more times they sit us down with Todd & co, the less I want to play this game - a game I was once very excited for. Maybe I just won’t watch the next episode of Into the Starfield. Maybe Starfield isn’t real. Maybe Starfield will be great. I just wish Bethesda would stop pretending it’s letting us in on all the game’s secrets when it’s doing nothing of the sort.

I totally agree that while Skyrim is still amazing, Bethesda seems to be sabotaging Starfield with their incredibly lame "interviews".

Yeah, those little discussions on a background of emotional music are below any standard in my opinion. But I suppose it's like washing powder ads, it's said to have an impact on potential customers.

I didn't like everything in Skyrim but I had a very good time playing it, no game is perfect. Although I rather see their discussions as how to improve games, not as detracting what they did (that's my impression from a past episode, I can't be bothered to watch them anymore).

We're in the era of expecting game companies to show and tell us every little thing about every game before we play it. We didn't see much of Skyrim or Fallout 4 before release. We didn't see much of ANY game before release a decade and more ago. We still found ways to make buying decisions.

I never got the unbridled fascination with Skyrim. It's a better-than-average game, but I didn't find anything particularly special about it. If it wasn't for the mods, people would have stopped talking about it a long time ago.

I heard the theory that by showing so much background and lore, by the time actual gameplay is showed the enemies and factions have more meaning to the player.

I hope gameplay will be different than Skyrim though. I also never got the fascination of putting hundreds of hours into it, although it is a great game.

I never got the unbridled fascination with Skyrim. It's a better-than-average game, but I didn't find anything particularly special about it. If it wasn't for the mods, people would have stopped talking about it a long time ago.

Skyrim is tremendously average. It has average combat, an average setting, average character advancement, average writing. It doesn't excel in much of anything across the board.

And yet I've put 600 hours into it, 200 of those hours before I used any mods. To date, nobody has else has really made the kind of games they do, with the open ended freedom they offer and the scale they have. I wish someone would and do some of those things better. Maybe Avowed, though I'm not holding my breath.

Can you mod the PS4 and Xbox 360 versions of the game? Pretty sure Skyrim sold millions of copies on devices that aren't mod capable, but I don't think that necessarily counters your opinion. Mods are what makes it tick today for sure.

I'll agree with Farrell too though. I played it hundreds of hours unmodded because modding Skyrim is a bit of a pain. Mods definitely make it better, but it was still a fun game before that. I can play it today with only graphical mods; keeping the gameplay vanilla, though not without SkyUI.

Luminous Productions showcases Forspoken at GDC 2022

The Technologies of FORSPOKEN is a video introducing the implementation of FORSPOKEN incorporating the latest technologies from AMD and Microsoft announced at GDC (Game Developers Conference) 2022.
Turn-based strategy RPG Lords of Ravage Announced - Steam

It is said that only in the darkest of times, true heroes are forged. But others may be lured by this darkness on a much easier path. Some follow this path out of selfish greed and lust for power, while others - out of a corrupted sense of duty, stopping at nothing to achieve their higher goals. Some of the most powerful ones have the dubious honor of being proclaimed Lords of Ravage. You'll take on the role of one of these Lords on the brink of their defeat. Search for a great artifact that can change the fate of this world. Deal with any heroes brave or foolish enough to interfere with your plans. Hunt for the forgotten artifacts, forge dark alliances and make daring raids to take by force everything your heart desires.
Mechajammer: The Refracted Update releases on March 24 - Steam

Announced during The MIX 10th Anniversary Showcase, Mechajammer: The Refracted Update will be released on March 24th 2022 , bringing a host of new content and improvements to the game free to all existing players.
Weird West How It Accounts for Emergent Gameplay - Game Developer
At GDC 2022, Weird West narrative designer Lucas Loredo discussed this particular problem, and offered some useful techniques for immersive sim developers to manage the multiple narrative ends that can emerge in this game genre.

Back
Top Bottom