HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Gladiator-DLC Death or Glory for Expeditions: Rome has been released:

Expeditions: Rome Gets Gladiator-DLC "Death or Glory"

Let Us Entertain You: Expeditions: Rome Gets Gladiator-DLC "Death or Glory"

Vindobona, Noricum / Hafnia, Daniae, Aprilis XII, MMXXII: "Ave Imperator, Morituri te salutant!" ("Hail, emperor, those who are about to die salute you!") - a sentence shouted by the warriors, who were about to risk their life not for their country or a greater cause but for glory itself: The Gladiators! In ancient Rome, it was all about "panem et circensis" (~ "bread and games") to entertain the masses and to keep them satisfied with the current rulership.

With its brand new DLC "Death or Glory", the critically acclaimed CRPG Expeditions: Rome will bring the feeling of these ancient roman games to your PC by introducing a new class - the Gladiator - and adding arenas to the different regions, you've visited throughout the campaign. You can now prove the combat prowess of your praetorian guard in the sands of the arena and fight against various enemies, including ferocious lions and very talented champions - will you claim their titles for yourself?

The new DLC is out today and a legion of other additions are coming along with the Gladiator-class, and its unique set of 24 skills. There are the new arenas, new weapons, new armours, new crafting recipes, and new enemies as well as new customization options for your legion and your praetorians. The DLC content will be included into the campaign or can be accessed directly by starting the game in the new "Gladiator Mode".

-> More details can be found in the dev-diary.
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

Wow, this came out much sooner than I expected. Of course it has to be a mere two days before the Solasta DLC drops.

Yes, it was announced as a complete surprise, including the Twitch stream that shows the content. Here's the link if anyone's interested.

And it's a big download.

In short, it's a set of side quests in each act that leads to an arena contest, with combat and a particular arena mechanics (entertaining is key). You can play the arena outside of the campaign too, for fun or to train and understand the mechanics.

More importantly for the RP, there's a new gladiator class, and if you start a new game, you can choose whether Deianeira is a gladiator or a princeps as before (the 'start' bit is not mentioned in their dev diary).

If you don't want to start from scratch, you'll just miss the arena content of the acts you've finished, and you won't be able to choose Deianeira's class.

There are also a few new items like armours, weapons, tactical items, portraits and a few others things mentioned at the end of their dev diary.

Bestia can't start out as a Gladiator though? Guess it doesn't matter as much because you get him earlier.

Bestia can't start out as a Gladiator though? Guess it doesn't matter as much because you get him earlier.

No, Bestia remains a veles. They wanted the start to remain the same for the player, and there would not have been a veles companion anymore. Caeso was already princeps, like Deianeira, and she has a past as gladiator so it still fitted the setting. :)

Is this worth playing you think?

I enjoyed solasta, and pathfinder, skyrim, and some strategy games as well (just played a game of total war: warhammer (1&2)... not sure to get warhammer 3 - off topic)

I might wishlist this game.

Of those games, the one that plays more similarly I'd say is Solasta, and Expeditions: Rome is a better game than that, in my opinion. Bit of a matter of taste, but it feels like a generally more polished and more complete game.

I enjoyed solasta, and pathfinder, skyrim, and some strategy games as well (just played a game of total war: warhammer (1&2)… not sure to get warhammer 3 - off topic)

There's a playable demo on Steam. Give it a try.

I enjoyed solasta, and pathfinder, skyrim, and some strategy games as well (just played a game of total war: warhammer (1&2)… not sure to get warhammer 3 - off topic)

From what you said, you should like it; I like the same games and Exp: Rome is my one of my favourite games.

Do try the demo but keep in mind that it doesn't show much of the story - chapter 1 has more combat than story. It gets deeper in chapter 2 and even more in chapter 3. It's never as deep as Pathfinder, but it's definitely much better than Solasta.

The combats are as tactical as Solasta, they're a lot of fun, but it's not fantasy, so no magic and no race of course. The strategy part is very shallow per design, it's not meant to be a strategy game. You'll have one battle in the demo, it gives a rough idea. It gets better when your centurions progress and you get the hang of it.

Nothing in common with Skyrim.

Back
Top Bottom