Codename: Wandering Sword - Wuxia RPG announced - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Codename: Wandering Sword - Wuxia RPG announced

Default Codename: Wandering Sword - Wuxia RPG announced

May 25th, 2022, 14:11
The Wuxia RPG Codename: Wandering Sword has been announced:

Codename: Wandering Sword Teaser Video

Codename: Wandering Sword is a Wuxia-style pixel RPG, which will soon be available in Steam! The player will play as a young man from Liao City in the Outer Lands who is accidentally involved in a feud between two rival sects and poisoned with the Frozen Toad. He is fortunate enough to have Qingxu, Sect Leader of Wudang, coming to his aid and saving his life. From there, you dream to become a great warrior and enter the stage of the Central Plains. Remember, your choices will change the entire story of the martial arts world. Befriend and interact with all sorts of characters in the game, and even change their destiny!
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)

May 25th, 2022, 17:21
They're apparently planning to allow an option between Real-time and turn-based. While that sounds nice in theory, it's been pretty tough for developers to pull off. Arcanum ended up with two mediocre combat modes. I mostly enjoyed TB combat in Pathfinder: Kingmaker though I'm sure I would've enjoyed it more if TB was the default.. games with RT combat tend to be balanced quite differently, and with more trash mobs since the combat can be resolved quicker.

Edit: Also sounds like what they're proposing here for RT mode is an action RPG style "precise action inputs" which seems even harder to pull off than what Arcanum and Pathfinder games tried to do.

But despite my skepticism I'll wishlist this as it's a nice change of setting.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

May 25th, 2022, 18:08
Nod, that's a tough combination to do correctly, balancing both real-time and turn-based within one game. I do like the premise of the story, in that the protagonist sounds like some sort of rookie ronin, and that could lead to all kinds of goodness, story-wise and such.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

May 25th, 2022, 22:53
What is a "Wuxia-style RPG" ? I know that Wuxia is a town in China, but I know nothing more …
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

May 25th, 2022, 23:06
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
What is a "Wuxia-style RPG" ? I know that Wuxia is a town in China, but I know nothing more …
Something inspired by (Ancient) Chinese culture, especially martial arts / Kung-fu…. So Jade Empire would be a good example.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

May 25th, 2022, 23:41
Of course its male protagonist only… sigh
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate 2, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale

purpleblob1

Princess

May 26th, 2022, 00:28
It looks like it would have made a great SNES game.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)

May 26th, 2022, 13:18
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
Something inspired by (Ancient) Chinese culture, especially martial arts / Kung-fu…. So Jade Empire would be a good example.
I see. Thank you.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

May 26th, 2022, 16:57
I don't know anything about this style of game, but it sure looks amazing. Disappointed with the hybrid combat solution. Other than Pathfinder, I'm pretty sure that's failed 100% of the time.
--
--| sometimes game writer |--

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

May 26th, 2022, 18:25
If this is even half as good as Jade Empire is, they'll likely have a colossal hit on their hands. We could use a few more games in this genre.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

May 27th, 2022, 13:55
Playing movie scenes incorporated into the gameplay area was my idea as well decades ago. It seems we need Chinese developers to realize this excellent method!
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Codename: Wandering Sword - Wuxia RPG announced