Baldur's Gate 3 - Mind Flayer Space Ships

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Jorphdan explains the lore behind the Mind Flayer Space Ships that will feature in Baldur's Gate 3.

Episode 142 - In this video we talk about the Spelljammer Campaign Setting! Baldur's Gate 3's opening cinematic features a Nautiloid which is a Mind Flayer Spelljamming ship! We discuss the world of Spelljammer, Mind Flayers, Phlogiston and more! #BaldursGate3
More information.

This game also needs a Demonic Arsehole Gatling Gun! To complement the space ships.
Demented Larian Tranny Wretches!!!!

Space ships are always a welcome change of scenery in Fantasy games.

They should just call it Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. ;)

I came here to say this. Wasn't EttBP based of Gamma World or some other sci fi RPG settings?

---

Is there a similarity between Mind Flayers and the Great Race of Yith?

E. Gary has stated that psionics were one of the things he regrets allowing. It is more in tune with a sci fi settings than fantasy.

I came here to say this. Wasn't EttBP based of Gamma World or some other sci fi RPG settings?

---

Is there a similarity between Mind Flayers and the Great Race of Yith?

E. Gary has stated that psionics were one of the things he regrets allowing. It is more in tune with a sci fi settings than fantasy.

I think it was based on Gamma World. Gary Gygax and his D&D role playing group had a cross over with his Gamma World group. Think I'm remembering it right. It was two different DMs.

I wonder what Gygax would think of some of the crap they put in the newest 5th Edition campaign. i.e. Demons driving hot rods, etc. He might be turning over in his grave.

I like the concept of psionics and the Spelljammer ships, but I pray Larian is smart enough to stay away from the hot rod driving demons. I don't want to see that stuff in a D&D crpg…ever.

I think it was based on Gamma World. Gary Gygax and his D&D role playing group had a cross over with his Gamma World group. Think I'm remembering it right. It was two different DMs.

Actually, it looks like it was based on Metamorphosis Alpha when it was in an alpha state.

I wonder what Gygax would think of some of the crap they put in the newest 5th Edition campaign. i.e. Demons driving hot rods, etc. He might be turning over in his grave.

I like the concept of psionics and the Spelljammer ships, but I pray Larian is smart enough to stay away from the hot rod driving demons. I don't want to see that stuff in a D&D crpg…ever.

I went onto his website back in the day and boy was he ever bitter. He was mostly ranting about how he got screwed over with TSR and going on about his legacy and why he understood and loved gamers and the company did not. But on top of that he was not happy with 3rd ed. or WotC and cried about how it was likely alignments would be a thing of the past (I had read that he thought 2nd ed. was in bad need of an update but it looks like he changed his mind).

Dave Arnesan (whom he infamously had a falling out over on royalty payments over AD&D and that his name was taken off the game - they reconciled after 5 years when E. Gary published his Blackmoor expansions), once told Gary to lighten up after Dave had his own heart attack. That still didn't stop him from trying to credit away from Dave for inventing role playing games for the rest of his life.

A Spelljammer cRPG would be awesome. Almost as awesome as a Dune RPG...

A Spelljammer cRPG would be awesome. Almost as awesome as a Dune RPG…

Would it happen though? WotC felt that the genre was too subdivided and needed consolidation when they created 3rd ed.

I personnaly find the lore in the 5th to be a little boring. A lot of things have been... softened. Casualized.
I hope they change their minds (and they will if it means muneh).

Back
Top Bottom