What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Watched Avengers 2 last night.

I really didn't want to see it tbh. I took my new GF because she's a fan, and she seemed to enjoy it for the most part. I couldn't wait for it to be over because, like most of those films, it was about 45 minutes too long.

In short, I thought it was pretty much like the majority of comic book movies. Lots of fast-moving action scenes, mediocre acting, and attempts to inject humor that imo fall flat most of the time.

Thankfully, I get to choose the next movie we see. :)

I felt the same way. Even tho I'm a geek, i totally outgrew the superhero thing by my teens. I endured the film, but certainly wouldnt watch it again. Girlfriend loved it tho. I think it's the hunk factor.

It Follows 5/10

Hyped up with nothing to show for it. I suppose it was well done for the budget, but it did pretty much nothing with the plot. Wasted potential with a few nice shots.

Run All Night 6/10

Solid Liam Neeson action flick utterly full of clichés. But it works.

Walk along the Tombstones 6/10

Another solid Liam Neeson action flick, only with weak antagonists. But it works.

Jurassic World I wasn't expecting much and that was a good thing. I don't think I like Chris Pratt in roles where he's not a lovable goofball (see Parks & Rec, Guardians of the Galaxy), of which I guess he wants to break free-- it's just not believable. I knew this wouldn't be Godfather Part II, but it was even more of an action film than the original. It had some fun sequences, but enough with the raptors already, especially the absolutely stupid training scene.

Because overall it was fun at times, I will go with 5/10. There were some story lines introduced whose resolutions were probably left on the cutting room floor (e.g. parents divorcing) that did little for the plot. At least it was better than the Poltergeist remake thank goodness.

It Follows 5/10

Hyped up with nothing to show for it. I suppose it was well done for the budget, but it did pretty much nothing with the plot. Wasted potential with a few nice shots.

Run All Night 6/10

Solid Liam Neeson action flick utterly full of clichés. But it works.

Another solid Liam Neeson action flick, only with weak antagonists. But it works.

DArt I don't know you personally. But I am starting to think your GF might be making you weak. All of those movies combined have a score of 5 out of 30

Hostel was ground breaking in what a horror movie could bring to us I thought.

Quentin Tarantino for lack of better words backed Eli Roth and hostel was great.

Not sure any movie since then with Eli's name apart of it has been. "The Stanger" 2014 is just another in a line I wish I had fallen asleep sooner during it.

It Follows 5/10

I agree. Well said.
It could be much better if somehow the story was more centered on that damn thing that follows, rather than teenagers lusting for each other.
It could have been a good psycho-thriller.

Watched Night Watch again and understood a lot more this time. Probably going to watch Day Watch this evening. And then I found out that the director is only doing Hollywood movies now (good for him) while Twilight Watch was effectively put on ice back in 2008, when we got Wanted instead. Shoot.

Guess I'll be reading the books, finally.

DArt I don't know you personally. But I am starting to think your GF might be making you weak. All of those movies combined have a score of 5 out of 30

People do lot worse for women so watching crappy movies is in the very bottom of that list!

That's a misconception.

We're all weak in our own ways. I'm certainly no exception, believe me.

Very well said ... and from what I have seen in 'real life', failure to acknowledge that we are all weak and strong and smart and stupid and positive and negative in so many ways is in itself a weakness, blindness to our own reality.

God knows I have plenty of weaknesses ... all I can do is keep trying to acknowledge and work on them :)

People do lot worse for women so watching crappy movies is in the very bottom of that list!

Oh I agree, just doesn't mean we have to give them a better review than they are :).

I just spent all of fathers day doing the brakes on her SUV, Oil change, and noticed one of the stabilizers on the front end was damaged so replaced them.

Okay the New Mad Max is a must see if you love action. Best action film in years, I would have to say a 8.5/10.

Yeah Neeson's acting carries the film and action scenes are quite entertaining. But as a whole the film is not very memorable. Definitely one of those films you just enjoy watching & then forget. Worked for me on a rainy sunday afternoon :)

Just saw Kingsman, The Secret Service, was actually pretty good. Pretty violent, lots of action, but somewhat humorous too. Almost a James Bond spoof, but not quite, I recommend it as long as your not expecting a master piece.

A couple of friends were trying to persuade me into it while it was still in cinemas. Well… The problem is they like Transformers movies and similar crap, I generally refuse their suggestions.
I wish I forgot that sometimes they do realize something is not plain idiocy when they suggest me a title to watch…

Whoever still didn't watch Kingsman: The Secret Service, do it ASAP.

What's to like? Everything!
What's not to like? Ah well…

I don't like that they copypasted the general idea from Utopia and Helix season 2 which should IMO be taken seriously and not in a humorous way. But hell, it's the most important question today, besides shouldn't movies be used exactly to raise important questions?
I'm one of those people who adored Scanners. In here, headbang is made as a joke. But they made it completely crazy way, outdid it in a way it functions as a decoration, so there!
I despise movies with pets as I'm not a pet who needs it's screen fix, and this is yet another flick where the main hero gets a dog. But why am I complaining, it's not like I saw that dog everywhere, in fact they got rid of it soon and it was there just for the sakes of the story.
I don't like the main kid actor. He did an awsome job, but cmon, can I see a movie without "hey, I've been visiting gym regularily for past 3 months"? Then again he wasn't a local whore that just came out from a plastic facelift operation, nor he had a pedigree, didn't pick his comrade in the end as in other cliched works but another "damsel in distress" which feels totally refreshing.

This movie is not a classic kind of masterpiece, but a proof that with a proper script, good director and talented crew Hollywood needs no remakes, reboots, boring neverending dramas, annoying humorless comedies or insults to one's intelligence. It's a top work I don't think anyone can dislike.

If Samuel L. Jackson doesn't get academy nomination for this one, I'll refuse to watch next Oscars.

10/10

I still love all the classical horror tropes, can't get enough of it. Oculus was no different, a very nice take on the haunted mirror story. It keeps you guessing on what's real and what not. My hunger for horror is insatiable at the moment, so feel free to leave suggestions. Somehow going over all the top 10 lists on the internet nothing really catched my attention.

And someone inadvertently spoiled season 2 of Helix :) Well, at least the setup. Been waiting for it to hit netflix.

Back
Top Bottom