CD Projekt RED - The Witcher 2 Confirmed

Yeah, your avatar is cool.

Your taste on the other hand....;)

You have insulted Glorious Infallible Thoth. You know what you must now do.

On a side note, my avatar would be my sex card if I was in The Witcher. I'd turn the tables on this Gerald and bum the hell out of the players.

TW2 seems like a no-brainer to me. They have made the Witcher a well-known brand and off course you will bet on that in a tight situation.
On the other hand I share a lot of the concerns mentioned here on the final result. In my mind TW is an exceptional well executed game and it have raised the bar for what people will expect from TW2 and it might be difficult to achieve without a lot of the people who were involved in the first game. Besides I think I heard a rumour about TW2 would use new terchnology, hopefully not some new fancy game engine. I hope this is not the case considering how long the first game were in development, probably due to tweaking the Auroa engine, and thinking of how Piranha Bytes really broke their kneck on the G3. The current engine could support a 2010 release.

Did anyone notice I have a new avatar? isn't it cool? Tell me it's cool. Also, Fallout 3 is a pretty bad game.

Yes, very homoerotic. I especially like the gun and the Gimp gag.

While I'm very pleased at this news I can't help but be slightly worried. If they haven't got anything to show at E3 with no more than a year and half to release, it does not bode well for the quality/size of the sequel considering the magnitude of the original The Witcher game.

Of course it they choose to reuse the engine from the first game, it will greatly reduce the development time needed to complete the game. If not, then I fear that Stealth may be on to something, that we have a new G3 on our hands ...

Then again, no need get gloomy just after the announcement. Let's hope for the best and see what happens.

Yeah, your avatar is cool.

Your taste on the other hand....;)

Ouch! Thoth is getting bitch slapped left and right :slap:

Of course considering his earlier dissing of the mighty Geralt I must admit I feel it is justified. Hang on while I go get the popcorn ... I need to see how this ends :biggrin:

Why would it be only at one E3? Why let the perfect opportunity to announce your game go by, only to then announce it via an internationally obscure magazine, guaranteeing the announcement will see significantly little coverage due to the backtrail of E3?

Just good PR sense.
Announcing only at the one E3 seems to have worked well for Forza Motorsport 3...

Announcing only at the one E3 seems to have worked well for Forza Motorsport 3...

Forza Motorsport 3 wasn't announced at E3. It was announced back in 2007 for 2009 release.

If you mean only shown at one: sure. Still makes it a bad PR call to announce something in the shadow of E3.

Besides I think I heard a rumour about TW2 would use new terchnology, hopefully not some new fancy game engine.

As far as I know, TW2 does not use the Aurora Engine, I think partially due to the Aurora engine being ill-suited for cross-platform release, which TW2 is intended to have.

As far as I know, TW2 does not use the Aurora Engine, I think partially due to the Aurora engine being ill-suited for cross-platform release, which TW2 is intended to have.

You got at point there. I keep forgetting that things have to be multiplatform these days. Well, it will be interesting to see if they license something or do an engine themselves.

Look pal, I'm only homosexual when I make rendezvous' in the back of Man Overboard Night Club, then I turn un-gay.

You got at point there. I keep forgetting that things have to be multiplatform these days. Well, it will be interesting to see if they license something or do an engine themselves.

They've got their own, though I don't know if it's a modified licensed engine or built from the ground up. I know little of it, actually, other than that it's being used. Not even a name.

You have insulted Glorious Infallible Thoth. You know what you must now do.

On a side note, my avatar would be my sex card if I was in The Witcher. I'd turn the tables on this Gerald and bum the hell out of the players.

You've remind me this :D

Why would they announce it at E3, a sequel to a great but niche game as RPGs go these days? Besides there's the cost of a going and promoting a game that is probably too far away from release, not having an international publisher and probably not having that great stuff to show, TW2 would have probably gone largely unnoticed there. The only proper RPG that I heard of from E3 is Divine Divinity, but it's too close to a release to have missed it. And for the awesome game I'm sure it's going to be, I am not entirely convinced that it got that much attention among all the major announcements out there. Therefore, CDPR did the smart thing, saw that the benefits of announcing anything at E3 did justify the cost, and skipped it. If they have anything good to show my guess is they'll probably do it at the German gaming convention whatever it was called not it's not Leipzig, since The Witcher was quite the hit in Europe and didn't to that great in the US (though I may be wrong on this).

Back to the topic at hand though, CDPR haven't annouced anything. I may be wrong, but they've just confirmed something that was already widely known for some time. They're working on it, but are far from a proper announcement. So they mentioned it to a Polish gaming mag since they're like based in Poland. I see no big deal there.

Why would it be only at one E3? Why let the perfect opportunity to announce your game go by, only to then announce it via an internationally obscure magazine, guaranteeing the announcement will see significantly little coverage due to the backtrail of E3?

Just good PR sense.
Because to be honest it would be a terrible business idea. CDP hasn't made any real annoucement, they've just confirming what they've been saying for some time.
And you only get to reveal your game once, if you do not make a big splash there it's hard to capture the attention later on. And at E3 they would have failed completely. Look at the coverage of E3, it was focused on consoles, only some fansites got real info about PC games. For dev walkthroughs I had to go to devs own sites and youtube, because all the prosites had was Old Republic CG movie.
You think it would be a good idea for a CDP ,a dev without publisher for W2 and without much money to burn truckloads of cash just to make a display that would still be largely ignored? Especially since E3 is not only console centric, but also US centric and Witcher sold absymal numbers in US.

It doesn't make sense.

If they will be revealing the game at any show it will be at Gamescon, where they will be able to steal most of the spotlight and where press will actualy be mostly interested in games like this, especially since that press and gamers wil be mostly from countries where CDP makes more money on it's games.

If they will be revealing the game at any show it will be at Gamescon, where they will be able to steal most of the spotlight and where press will actualy be mostly interested in games like this....
The rules change (or really ought to) when your product becomes the one everyone is interested in most. Other companies can continue to work hard to court the industry media, but if you're basking in star status, then the industry media needs to start making an effort to court you instead. That makes your product-PR budget easy to cut if you're thinking about cutting budgets.

That's how I see it, anyway.

http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=24389.0

'The interview was edited by CD-Action without informing me, and after the changes the meaning of my answer concerning our studios’ future plans became significantly distorted. I realize I could have expressed myself more clearly; this is my mistake, and should not have happened, as I’ve been doing interviews for quite some time and I’m careful with such details. However, the fact is that the question was edited and accompanied with an editorial lead that is not a quote from my statement (and which directly speaks about The Witcher’s sequel), distorted the issue of next RED’s project and caused quite a big confusion. Regardless of whose fault it is (a bit of mine as well), I’d like to apologize for the confusion (and also for the fact that this response did not appear as quick, as it should have). As for the most interesting thing – namely our future projects – you’ll still need to wait for official statements.’

Back
Top Bottom