Worried about the future of the Watch.

And I'll still be posting impression/review threads about most major RPGs that come out, practically right after they're out. Those threads tend to have good discussions, and a lot of questions asked/answered about the specific game.

The next big one I'm likely to write about is DA: I, so that's certainly going to be.. interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up seeing quite a few polarized views on DA: I, given it's a BioWare game.

From my POV, I would fully support if you would submit these impressions as official site content - they are always very good and (unlike almost everything else the Watch can do, (including my own few attempts at reviews)) timely. If you are worried about not speaking for everyone - just make them an Op Ed - e.g. "Maylanders first impressions".

Maylander is one of the fastest gamers I know and his reviews/impressions usually make a lot of sense.

I want to see more discussion of Japanese RPGs or such quirky Japanese strategy games and such, so far I've started a few.

This is news to me since I thought the current Watch is doing well. I see new names poping up all the time and posting stuff. As far as I can see the news posters are doing well to keep the discussions going. Couchpotato in particular is doing a superb job and he covers lot of games. In fact thanks to Couchpotato and others news posts, I have discovers lot of new games.

Also I don’ think I come to Watch to read game reviews or even interviews with developers conducted by watch members. To me the main attraction of the Watch is to read and have discussion about games I like with other "like" minded people. This discussion can be generated based on reviews and interviews posted on other sites. However this doesn't mean I don’t enjoy reading reviews by Maylander, Fluent and others. WhatI am saying here is, I don't think we need Watch stuff to bust their arse and try to write more reviews or get interviews etc. We don't need them burning out.

This might sound bit selfish and may be harmful to the Watch future, but I don’t actually want the Watch to get “too big”. I am not saying Watch is “too big” now, I think it can do with few more people but not too many. When a forums get more users, it can be hard to get know posters and if you don’t know the posters then thing becomes less personal and the feeling of community goes away.

I want to see more discussion of Japanese RPGs or such quirky Japanese strategy games and such, so far I've started a few.

The problem with this is that most of us here don't play JRPG's so are not really interested in them. I know some people here do enjoy them, but unless someone else volunteers (hint, hint :) ) to post news stories about them, I don't think it's going to happen.

As to reviews and such, unlike Maylander, who simply amazes me, I'm a very slow player and a completionist. Currently I'm playing D:OS am level 15 and nearly finished with the Immaculates. I'm also playing a co-op game to give that a try. I'm scheduled to write the Watch review. Maylander has probably finished it 3 times by now!! :) While I could write a decent review based on what I've played, I prefer to finish a game before writing about it. Silly of me I know, but at my age I'm not about to change!!

The problem with this is that most of us here don't play JRPG's so are not really interested in them. I know some people here do enjoy them, but unless someone else volunteers (hint, hint :) ) to post news stories about them, I don't think it's going to happen.

I do post JRPG news-bits just not that many. As I quickly found the majority of members only play CRPGs, and the ones that don't are in the small minority.

Like me for example as my tastes differ vastly than most on the site.:cool:

I think the Watch is one of the best gaming sites around honestly and I get a ton of info and inspiration for gaming by coming here.
Couch does a excellent job of keeping us up to date with all the important news that I never feel I'm missing out.

This is news to me since I thought the current Watch is doing well. I see new names poping up all the time and posting stuff. As far as I can see the news posters are doing well to keep the discussions going. Couchpotato in particular is doing a superb job and he covers lot of games. In fact thanks to Couchpotato and others news posts, I have discovers lot of new games.

I did say that I was a pessimist.
But we did see a new user by the name of something like AIZ that said that he'd be here often ….. and he's gone!!! :D

My perception may be affected by the fact that, like some said, some old Watch members don't visit as often. It might also be because I'm less inclined to read the new members' posts.

Am I nostalgic? Mayhaps.

Also I don’ think I come to Watch to read game reviews or even interviews with developers conducted by watch members. To me the main attraction of the Watch is to read and have discussion about games I like with other "like" minded people. This discussion can be generated based on reviews and interviews posted on other sites. However this doesn't mean I don’t enjoy reading reviews by Maylander, Fluent and others. WhatI am saying here is, I don't think we need Watch stuff to bust their arse and try to write more reviews or get interviews etc. We don't need them burning out.

I love this about this place too.

This might sound bit selfish and may be harmful to the Watch future, but I don’t actually want the Watch to get “too big”. I am not saying Watch is “too big” now, I think it can do with few more people but not too many. When a forums get more users, it can be hard to get know posters and if you don’t know the posters then thing becomes less personal and the feeling of community goes away.

I'm sure I speak for many here when I say that we don't want that either.
Before the Watch, there was a place called Rpgdot.
This was where many of the forefathers of the Watch hung out.
At one point in time, a big bad wolf bought the lair and blew the place apart by adding shit that slowed down everything to a crawl. We could go to the moon and come back and the pages would still be loading.

So no. We love it like this.

I am glad that many think that the Watch is fine.
Gradually renewing its fanbase with youngling as the olderlings step aside and let the new generation bloom.

But I can't lie about it.
I guess I miss some of the ''old'' Watch.

Wow. I’m only 4 tenths of a Century old and I’m already nostalgic about many things.
How will I react when I’m as old and wise as our eldest member. ;)

Last edited:
I do post JRPG news-bits just not that many. As I quickly found the majority of members only play CRPGs, and the ones that don't are in the small minority.

Like me for example as my tastes differ vastly than most on the site.:cool:

When I was in my late teens, I loved them.
Now, not really. Not realistic enough for an rpg setting for me.

For me, the perfect setting is Dark Souls : Prepare to lose your mind Edition.
The graphics' style is perfect. The voice acting very good too.
Difficulty on par. Monster AI incredible but predictable after many hours of being stuck at the same place. Boss fights sublime.

After that, I just can't stand jrpg's.

As long as members like you (old and new) are here everything will turn out good.
(I'm an optimist :) )

We lost a few old members, because they had new priorities in real life - this happens.

Like you I'm happy to see that the new generation (Couch, Fluent, Wisdom…) continues what the old RPGDot generation started.

and some of us come back. I have throttled my gaming WAY back - I reviewed 275 games (about 225 unique) in 2007, but won't complete 25 in 2014 - and really focus on my long distance running and my personal running blog.

But when I have time I play some RPGs (like Divinity Original Sin this year), and come here because I like the people.

and some of us come back. I have throttled my gaming WAY back - I reviewed 275 games (about 225 unique) in 2007, but won't complete 25 in 2014 - and really focus on my long distance running and my personal running blog.

But when I have time I play some RPGs (like Divinity Original Sin this year), and come here because I like the people.

I haven't forgotten about you sir.

You are one of the forefathers but because of short circuits, you parted ways from the Staff.

I am glad that you're still around.

Edit : I even remember that your TXA stand for something like TetaXetaalpha from your frat days.

Wow. I’m only 4 tenths of a decade old and I’m already nostalgic about many things.
How will I react when I’m as old and wise as our eldest member. ;)

4 tenths of a decade eh? These damn kids keep getting younger and younger.
PS. 4 tenths of a decade is 4 years old.

From when I was lurking, it's always been a small forum.

Indeed, it's never been a big forum - I've been lurking around since the start with the occasional post. And probably most people don't have as much gaming time as they used to, I know I don't. These days I scroll mostly the news - and since I probably never said it, news coverage has been awesome, great job couchpotato and the new guy! I hope they can keep it up!

While I don't want to be selfish and exclude other people, I do agree that we have a somewhat pleasant and close atmosphere - which would be lost if we opened up too much.

So, that's a choice for the people in charge. But you can't get big and retain that sort of thing.

Well, I like jRPGs but I don't post about them :p. And no, I've never been famous and never will be.
After the company I worked for 15something years was liquidated, I finally found a new job, but currently there's a lot of road work involved and I don't always have access to the net when I'm in a hotel (or no interest to look at a computer screen, alternatively).

I post news from time to time whenever I have the time. As for why don't post much anymore, I'm a teacher. And from this school year we have a agreement (or kaw actually) which states that we must be at school for 40 hours a week in 42 weeks. And while this might not sound too bad - believe me it it. Also, as as teacher I get new classes every half a year or so. I hope you understand....as an explanation, not an excuse.

I'll try to post during the weekends since the new law or agreement makes it so that I don't have to work at home during the weekends.

Back
Top Bottom