Paradox Interactive - Acquires Triumph Studios

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Paradox Interactive have acquired Triumph Studios, the makers of Age of Wonders.

We are super excited to bring you the news that Triumph Studios has been acquired by Paradox Interactive. Our Triumph adventure began 20 years ago, taking us from the first Age of Wonders strategy game to the Action RPG series Overlord, and back to our turn-based roots again. We have created the sort of original games that we ourselves craved, and that we wanted to share with a like-minded audience. Triumph's games are genre-defying, can be experienced with other people, appeal to the inner nerd and somehow all involve conquering the world in some fashion.

Throughout our history we have worked with varying degrees of independence, from full-on indie to close cooperation with publishers. After self-publishing Age of Wonders 3, which creatively and commercially turned out tremendously well, we realized that development - in close relation to our fans - is the thing that we care about most. Additionally, the games market is constantly evolving and we drew the conclusion that expanding our publishing efforts for the limited number of games we release would be inefficient.

So we were super excited when Paradox proposed joining their family. As one of the world's premier publishers - and developers - of strategy games, they really understand the type of games we make. The have specialized, highly skilled personnel to complement our activities: from marketing and PR, to QA, localization and of course development itself. Many of us are huge fans of Paradox games, so we're very much looking forward to sharing knowledge with their renowned Grand Strategy developers.
As a development studio we will keep on flying our own flag, but with the help of Paradox and the continued support of you -our fans- we'll be able to take our games to another level, and contribute to the continued development of a strategy powerhouse. We just can't wait to reveal to you what we've been cooking up over the last two years.

Thanks for all your support. A new Age of Wonders dawns today, the future for strategy games has never looked better!

Arno, Lennart and the Triumph Team

Paradox and Triumph will host a live stream and Q&A about the acquisition on Friday, June 30 at 4PM CEST. Tune in at twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.
More information.

100 DLCs confirmed. 5 of which actually worth their money.

Damn you, Paradox! :furious::furious::furious:

Oh well, maybe it's time to buy the AoW III DLCs I still don't have....

#@$%!!! For the love of the $%&^%$# newborn...

RIP Age of Wonders.... go to hell, Paradox.....

I'm mixed. Age of wonder 3 was so so; and the game before was also so so. Triump was working on an unamed project the last couple of years (not sure how far along they are). This might be good or bad.

I also have mixed feelings. I do understand the Paradox hate. On the other hand, they do have unique games of unusual depth. Man, nothing can suck me in like playing an entire dynasty in CK2. No other game makes me feel so much like I just surfaced after a scuba dive to look at the clock and see I have to be at work in an hour.

And in case anyone didn't know, as I didn't until last night, here is the official word on the rollback of ttheir recent price infreases.

Last edited:
Loved the first 2 Age of Wonders. Was not as big a fan of the third. Guess we will have to wait and see.

I only fear right now that with Paradox there mighht be no more physical releases ?

Paradox is not EA, and they have s lot of meatier titles under their belt without dumbing downs. I'm neutral to this acquisition until they release a game under the new owner.

I don't get the hatred. Paradox publishes a bunch of games: Cities Skylines, Tyranny, Pilars of Eternity, and others, none have the DLC system Paradox Development Studio has. Guess people are confusing Paradox Interactive (the publishing branch) with PDS (the development branch).

I only fear right now that with Paradox there mighht be no more physical releases ?
Alrik my friend, you really need to keep up with the times or you'll find yourself not playing any more games ever. (Though guess you could switch to consoles, they'll probably take a lot longer to ditch physical releases).

And in case anyone didn't know, as I didn't until last night, here is the official word on the rollback of ttheir recent price infreases.

Thanks for the link. I have same feelings about this game. Basically the ASoIF mod is basically an additional bonus game. As a result I have purchased most of the DLC. This rollback is confusing in part because I was contemplating buying some of the DLC I'm missing this sale but haven't executed that yet and now I'm not sure I will. They just possibly killed a sale since the final outcome is indeterminate.

I do like that they continue to update and the DLC pays for it but I do dislike the pricing as the price to value ratio is rather high if I look at the cost of a new game. I also would sort of hope that they would release a bundle that was reasonably priced with the current DLC or something (usually the current bundle is missing last 5 or so dlc) not that it would help me since I purchased the other DLC already.

Alrik my friend, you really need to keep up with the times or you'll find yourself not playing any more games ever. (Though guess you could switch to consoles, they'll probably take a lot longer to ditch physical releases).
Actually, WE define the times. And as long as there are many of us that would like something on our shelves rather than hidden in a folder or a cloud server that we don't ever remember we own it, there will be physical releases.

But there aren't many of us. Germany seems to be the last refuge. God knows how many times I've searched on eBay for a physical release in vain, and a german collector's would pop up. Unfortunately in german language :p

Ah, Alrik my brother. Fear not, because IMHO Paradox will continue releasing boxes in the future. Indies often turn to them for that exact reason.

I often wonder if paradox gazillion dlc is simply a model to release games faster. Essentially they spread out the release of the game over time - on hte one hand as a buyer i hate the model but as a publisher it is safer because it allows them to gauge interest in the game as it evolves. Naturally as a buyer I choose to wait till the complete game goes on sale but that can at time be several years after the initial release. I guess these are the choices we have to make.

Actually, WE define the times. And as long as there are many of us that would like something on our shelves rather than hidden in a folder or a cloud server that we don't ever remember we own it, there will be physical releases.

But there aren't many of us. Germany seems to be the last refuge. God knows how many times I've searched on eBay for a physical release in vain, and a german collector's would pop up. Unfortunately in german language :p

That's the problem, every day there are less and less of you. At some point every publishing company does the calculations. Not releasing physical we lose X sales. Not having physical release saves us Y moneys, if X is less or similar to Y, why bother with all the issues with physical (boxes, manuals, packaging, delivery, store space, inventory, returns, etc). It's all about the money.

100 DLCs confirmed. 5 of which actually worth their money.

They are mechanically worth their money.

Paradox products are runs products.
One run takes at least 15 hours.
Checking the value of any DLC takes at least one run.
$15 DLC means one dollar per hour, worth it.

The grace of it is that since Paradox products are run based, they can add any kind of DLCs and they always are worth the value.

I don't get the hatred. Paradox publishes a bunch of games: Cities Skylines, Tyranny, Pilars of Eternity, and others, none have the DLC system Paradox Development Studio has.

City Skylines has the same model: it is a run based product and it is incremented through DLCs.

PoE was not a run based product.

Tyranny was, except that players rejected playing it as a run based products. Players had one run out of it and then gone. So it fell at this point, even though it seems it was planned to be treated the paradox way.

Hmm maybe we shall finally see Overlord 3 get finished.

Back
Top Bottom