Darkest Dungeon - The Color of Madness Released

I watched some gameplay footage of this, and it looked like it was basically just one battle after another.

How is the base game? Does it have a decent plot and an ending? It's currently 70% right now on Steam, and I was thinking of grabbing it.

Well its a party based rogue like dungeon crawler with X-com like base building. There isn't much of a story, but there is a lot of atmosphere. There are also a massive number of mods on the workshop, which adds some fun, especially with a replay. I'd recommend House Full of Piggies, Unleashing the Kraken, and Army of Bones, as they address what I consider one of the great weaknesses of the base game, namely the lack of enemy variety. I think its best played when you have 15-30 minutes of free time, and not as the primary game you're playing through. I go through a dungeon, prepare for the next one and then exit, so that when I return I'm ready for the next one. Sometimes I'll play through 2 dungeons in a sitting, but rarely more than that. I found my first playthrough enjoyable for about 15 hours, which got me through most of the initial boss battles. This time I'm shooting to get characters to level 6 so that I have a chance in the endgame dungeon. We'll see if I get that far.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the base-building aspect.

I'll probably just pick up the base game for now and see how I like it.

Asymptotical game design? The closer you get, the slower you progress.

True. That would work. Constantly getting closer in theory but never actually reaching the finish. Still sounds unfun, but that would give the original statement a possible solution.

The whole point of Sisyphos is that it's an enless loop, every time he's almost at the top the boulder rolls down to the bottom, hence he cannot ever reach the goal. He's no closer to the goal the second time he tries than he was the first. Nor will he be the millionth time he tries.

The whole point of Sisyphos is that it's an enless loop, every time he's almost at the top the boulder rolls down to the bottom, hence he cannot ever reach the goal. He's no closer to the goal the second time he tries than he was the first. Nor will he be the millionth time he tries.

Each try is independant from another. What happens during one does not relate to what happens during another.

Each try is independant from another. What happens during one does not relate to what happens during another.

I guess that makes sense if you wish to see it that way. I'll concede your point is valid and this thread can get back on topic.

In myth of Sisyphus, Zeus had "enchanted" the boulder to roll away from him just before it reaches the top, making all his attempts, no matter how hard and persistent, completely pointless, so yes: it very much relates to one another, as result is always the same for exactly the same reason. It's ( among other things) a parable about man's folly of not realizing his limitations and blind struggle against forces that surpass them.
Sort of similar like trying to reason with our Chien on a daily basis. ;)

Sort of similar like trying to reason with our Chien on a daily basis. ;)

I try to limit myself to try reasoning with him about once a week. Not that I've ever succeeded in actually getting my point across, but I keep on trying. So yes, the folly of not understanding ones limitations is indeed real.

I guess that makes sense if you wish to see it that way.
No. The story is not about collecting merit, with guys recording every try and finally judging that this or that effort was deserving.
It is about success or failure. There is no merit in failure. Either the boulder is pushed over or it is not.

I try to limit myself to try reasoning with him about once a week. Not that I've ever succeeded in actually getting my point across, but I keep on trying. So yes, the folly of not understanding ones limitations is indeed real.

This despite multiple mentions that simple minded people have troubles understanding superior minded people with their constant additions and inventions.

Maybe time to take a holiday and switch the periodicity of the attempt to once in a millenium.

It will save the side of superior minded people from the burden of reasoning and the side of the simple minded person the luxury of unreasoning.

Everyone benefit.

Maybe time to take a holiday and switch the periodicity of the attempt to once in a millenium.

It will save the side of superior minded people from the burden of reasoning and the side of the simple minded person the luxury of unreasoning.

EDIT: I wrote an unnecessary comment only to insult Chien and I'm better than that so I removed it. I realise most of Chiens frustration lies in language barriers that I can't cross.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom