|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » The Last Remnant - Discontinued on Steam

Default The Last Remnant - Discontinued on Steam

August 26th, 2018, 05:00
Square Enix announced this week they will be discontinuing digital and physical sales of The Last Remnant on PC. So if you haven't bought it yet it's only $9.99.

Link - https://steamcommunity.com/games/233…66654679120493
Hi everyone,

We will soon be discontinuing digital and physical sales of The Last Remnant on PC. Sales will cease at the times below:-

Japan region: Wednesday 5th September, approximately 2:00 (JST)
NA region: Tuesday 4th September, approximately 10:00(PDT)
EU region: Tuesday 4th September, approximately 17:00(GMT)

Anyone already owning the game will still be able to play as per usual.

Thanks to everyone who’s adventured with the Mitras, Yamas, Qsitis and Sovanis!
--
"One Vision. One Purpose. Peace Through Power."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

August 26th, 2018, 06:51
Any reason given yet? The theory I last read was that it wasn't going to be compatible with Steam's service change.

People are pushing for a sale on it but just as many are pointing out, "for crying out loud, its ten bucks!"

Even at that price, I don't by jrpg's.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 26th, 2018, 07:30
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
Any reason given yet? The theory I last read was that it wasn't going to be compatible with Steam's service change.

People are pushing for a sale on it but just as many are pointing out, "for crying out loud, its ten bucks!"

Even at that price, I don't by jrpg's.
No reason given just speculation from Steam users.
--

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

August 26th, 2018, 13:36
Normal reason is that license on music expires and it is not economical to renew. I doubt it is a going to be 'incompatible with steam's service change'; wouldn't that apply to many games ?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

August 26th, 2018, 15:37
I'm pretty curious about the reason for it being discontinued myself. I played it recently and found it both fun and totally fascinating.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 27th, 2018, 06:11
I would give odds on it being something in the music. It's got to be SOME sort of license.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Last edited by Zloth; August 27th, 2018 at 06:33.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

September 12th, 2018, 03:32
…or not. I suppose it could be that they want to release a remastered version using Unreal 4 instead of 3.

Or both.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

September 12th, 2018, 08:25
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
…or not. I suppose it could be that they want to release a remastered version using Unreal 4 instead of 3.

Or both.
Thanks for the link but it looks like the PS4 version only. So makes no sense.
--

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

September 12th, 2018, 09:07
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Thanks for the link but it looks like the PS4 version only. So makes no sense.
Errrr….I am pretty sure Zloth's point is that if they are doing a remaster for ps4 that it might be coming for PC as well. A fairly logical assumption.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 12th, 2018, 09:24
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
Errrr….I am pretty sure Zloth's point is that if they are doing a remaster for ps4 that it might be coming for PC as well. A fairly logical assumption.
Yes but the article says this so no I'm not misunderstanding.
Whether fans are rediscovering the magic or hoping to enjoy this classic JRPG for the first time, The Last Remnant Remastered will be digitally available on December 6, exclusively at PlayStation Store.
Maybe a PC release might come at a later date,but we all know by now know that exclusively on a console usually means not for a while. I could be wrong though.
--

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

September 12th, 2018, 13:44
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Maybe a PC release might come at a later date,but we all know by now know that exclusively on a console usually means not for a while. I could be wrong though.
Okay, I missed the exclusive bit. It could be then to funnel everyone to the PS store offering which is sad. I'm guessing the "remaster" probably isn't much better graphically than the PC version which already had a much higher resolution than the original console versions.

Probably some guy in an expensive suit made the decision.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

September 12th, 2018, 14:59
Well, that is seriously disappointing to read. An update to the game engine and gameplay would be awesome, but it completely sucks if the upgraded version will be limited to a console. That's a huge marketing decision failure right there.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 12th, 2018, 15:39
So they removed it from the PC to make it a PS4 exclusive ? Those sony exec seriously need their head examined. There are enough exclusive ecosystems. Naturally the reason is to lock the consumer into the platform long term. Not for me.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

September 12th, 2018, 19:45
Yep it's official only with the PC release undecided.

Last Remnant Remastered Announced for PS4 Only.

loading…
LOS ANGELES, CA (Sept. 11, 2018) – SQUARE ENIX® today announced that THE LAST REMNANT™ Remastered will arrive on PlayStation® for the first time this December, now fully remastered for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system.

Originally released in 2008, THE LAST REMNANT captured the hearts and minds of gamers with its enthralling story, countless characters and intricate battle system. THE LAST REMNANT Remastered features beautifully enhanced graphics enabled by Unreal®Engine 4, allowing for a more immersive and captivating adventure than ever before.

THE LAST REMNANT Remastered tells the story of a world filled with “Remnants” — ancient artefacts that grant mysterious power to their wielders, changing the world’s balance and leading to an era of countless frays between those who ruled, and those who obeyed. Within this war-torn fantasy world, players will follow the journey of a young man who is determined to uncover the truth.

THE LAST REMNANT Remastered will be available digitally via the PlayStation®Network for $19.99. This title is rated M (Mature). Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings.
Remember it was taken off Steam.
--

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

September 12th, 2018, 20:28
What an absolute croc. I guess we can only hope there is a hue and cry about this, and that we eventually get the updated version for computers.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 12th, 2018, 20:37
The game was a flop from what I remember. :/ This remastering but only for the PS4 is very bizarre to me.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

September 12th, 2018, 23:00
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
The game was a flop from what I remember. :/ This remastering but only for the PS4 is very bizarre to me.
It was a JRPG exclusive to the Xbox 360, of course it would be a flop.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 13th, 2018, 03:21
It was wasted potential by forcing outdated designs aka respawning/grinding/checkpoints.
Exclusivity has nothing with it, could have been one of the best games ever made but no, it just had to be dumbed into less than mediocre rubbish. And because of that, of course it flopped. Not because of xbox.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

September 13th, 2018, 06:01
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Yeah, I thought Square was trying to forget it ever existed. This really surprised me. Though I think the sales on PC weren't too horrible, they were nothing like what would be expected on console.

Here's another possibility: they really do have some sort of license issue so they had to yank the game as is. However, instead of just chucking the whole game, they decided to finally give it its PlayStation release. After all, this was a groundbreaking JRPG that was never released on a JRPG-friendly platform. Maybe somebody finally decided that it needed its chance.

I'll be surprised if it doesn't show up for PC and maybe even Xbox eventually. I can't imagine that it would really cost much to do given they already have a working version in Unreal 3 and did all the work to change engines. It would take very few sales to pay for itself.

Unfortunately, it sounds like it will be a pretty straight-up engine port. Maybe they will fix a few bugs and perhaps plug a few exploits. It doesn't sound like they will be addressing what I see as the biggest need: more data in game. The Wikia website is practically required to find out where you saw the royal cotton for that weapon upgrade or where to find a boss that only spawns a quarter of the time to advance your guild rank. That really shouldn't be. The game needs to give you that information somehow, someway.

As far as I'm concerned, this is definitely good news. Even if it never comes back to PC, come on, the game has been there for something like eight years now. If you haven't gotten it yet then you don't want it so quit yer gripin'. Some folks sound a lot like me when mom took that toy I didn't want from MY ROOM and gave it to my little brother to play with.
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

September 13th, 2018, 14:18
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
As far as I'm concerned, this is definitely good news.
edit: Nevermind. I guess you are referring to the PS4 release as being good news. Makes sense.
--

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » The Last Remnant - Discontinued on Steam