|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Default Couchpotato's Random RPG News

September 5th, 2018, 21:12
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
This is the full recording of BioWare's Anthem Panel at PAX West 2018 entitled "Our World, Your Story".
Translated: our milkingmachine, your tits.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

September 5th, 2018, 23:09
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I don't know if what I've got in my e-mail folder today is simply spam or trolling or a hidden Trojan … But that question simply baffled me :

Translation :

"Is this Switch version offered here 100 % uncut ?"

Something called "Amazon Answers" had sent me that,
perhaps because I had ordered POEII at Amazon.
People can go on Amazon and ask a question about a product, then it emails the question to people who bought it, to see if they'd like to answer it. It's essentially using customers as free Customer Inquiries for other customers. Quite annoying.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

September 6th, 2018, 15:21
Realms Beyond - GamesCom 2018 Video

loading…

Fallout 76 – Vault-Tec Presents: Atomics for Peace! Nukes Video

loading…

MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD Title Update: Deviljho
This first free update will be released on September 6th, 2018 at 00:00 (UTC).

Major Additions:
  • Added a new monster: Deviljho! (Includes new Deviljho weapons, and the Vangis α and β armor sets.)
    Note: Deviljho will invade 6★ quests, 7★ quests, and high rank expeditions once you have completed the investigation for the "??? Rathian" in the main story. After completing certain conditions, you will unlock the Deviljho special assignment.
  • Added a new specialized tool: Dragonproof Mantle.
  • Added a new costume for The Handler: Astera 3 Star Chef Coat (Downloadable Content).
--
"Praise be to the gaming gods and their holy avatar CD Projekt" - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

September 6th, 2018, 19:16
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
People can go on Amazon and ask a question about a product, then it emails the question to people who bought it, to see if they'd like to answer it. It's essentially using customers as free Customer Inquiries for other customers. Quite annoying.
Yes, but that's not what baffled me.

What struck me was the question which immedeately arose in my head :

"What the BEEP should get cut in a Switch version of POE II ???"
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 6th, 2018, 19:38
Fallout 76 – Vault-Tec Presents: Atomics for Peace! Nukes Video

loading…
The best things about Fallout 76 are the cartoons. I watch them all as soon as I can, since it is likely I won't emerge

EDIT: Post # 1,600. I'm still ahead of Darth. For the next 24 hrs, maybe
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

September 6th, 2018, 20:37
I shared this in the vaporware thread but it could be considered news.

Well here are two more updates for games that are almost vaporware.

First up we have The Memory of Eldurim which failed to get funded, but still released on Steam Early Access on Feb 7, 2014. Development has been very slow over the years.

After checking for updates it appears to be canceled.

Link - https://steamcommunity.com/app/26867…3806570561860/
I realize there's still lots of folks here asking questions so I thought I'd try to give some answers.

Is this game dead?
As should be obvious from the date of the last update, this game isn't actively being developed.

what happened?
We had to get other jobs as we weren't making enough money from the game to pay ourselves anything.

Develop on the side?
Unfortunately, I was the only one interested in continuing and I couldn't do much alone.

Will you ever revive the game?
I personally would love to do it! But I don't forsee it happening in the near future.
The second game is called Witanlore: Dreamtime which is a spin-off of another game that failed to get funded, and developed by a few modders called Druid Gameworks.

The good news is the game is still being developed and updated.

Link - https://steamcommunity.com/games/554…10481744131442
Hail Witanlore Fans, Cole here checking in with a loooooong overdue update on the project. Development is quite slow but sure at this stage, the team is much smaller now (only about six of us at the moment) and our time is split between Dreamtime and other jobs we've had to take to maintain some kind of income for things like roofs and food. However, the project is still alive and making steady progress. Our updates on Twitter are much more regular, so if you want to stay up to date with Witanlore and all things Druid Gameworks, follow us on Twitter @DruidGameworks or @Witanlore for more regular news. These Steam updates just take a lot of time and we don't always have significant enough news to share to fill out a news worthy post!

A time may be fast approaching when we will have to move on from Witanlore: Dreamtime in order to pursue projects that will help grow the company financially rather than drain it, but for now, we remain dedicated to this game and our wonderful fans, so don't count us out just yet!
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

September 7th, 2018, 15:56
Beamdog PAX West Panel and Livestream Recap
During a special announcement panel at PAX West on September, 1 Beamdog CEO Trent Oster, Art Director Alyssa Duguay, Community Manager Sarah Dawson and Wizards of the Coast, Senior Producer, Digital Licensing John Feil talked about the history of Beamdog and Neverwinter Nights, and showed footage of NWN:EE on mobile. Special guests Holly Conrad and Jared Knabenbauer announced the Dice, Camera, Action! Portrait & Voice pack DLC for the Beamdog Enhanced Edition Family of games.
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Community Questions
With Gamescom behind us and everyone back in work after taking some much needed time off to recover, we have had the chance to sit down and work our way through the major talking points to come out of this year’s expo. For some of the topics, we plan to expand upon them and explain them in greater detail at a later date in their own dedicated blogs, but for now, we want to clarify some of the things that were said in the interviews that took place during the event.
Final Fantasy XV Sales Exceed 8.1 Million Units Worldwide
Square Enix has announced a new sales milestone for Final Fantasy XV today confirming the latest sales figure for the game. Final Fantasy XV has continued to generate interest and steady legs despite launching back on November 29, 2016. The game opened to 5 million copies shipped in day one and has now surpassed 8 million units after the launch of the PC version early in March.
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

September 7th, 2018, 16:19
Nice to see a return to form for posting news 'Potato. Looks good! And congrats to Square Enix. They deserve it with the amount of polish and overall quality of FFXV.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

September 7th, 2018, 17:50
Immortal: Unchained was released on Steam.

loading…
Unleashed and unforgiving. Can you rise to the challenge? Immortal: Unchained is the latest addition to the genre of ultra-hardcore action RPGs. Take the role of a living weapon, unleashed to stop the source of a cataclysmic event threatening to end all worlds.
Fallout 76: beta, release date, perks and everything we know
Fallout 76 is a multiplayer survival game, and it has a release date, a beta launch window—and it's not launching on Steam. This will be the largest 3D Fallout game ever, and among other things, it'll let you nuke other players with your pals. Here's everything we know so far about Fallout 76 based on interviews, videos, and QuakeCon 2018's presentation.
Permadeath and D&D
With a cast of professional actors flitting in and out of character during lengthy D&D livestreams, Critical Role is prone to ambiguity. Viewers can't always distinguish between in-character emotions and real ones, which in one case led some fans to believe that two players were actually arguing over a magic bowl (they weren't). But when player Taliesin Jaffe excused himself from the room during a recent episode, that ambiguity fled from the table for the first time in the campaign. There was no roleplaying for him to do, because his character was dead.
How Sega brought Shenmue back to life on PC
D3T is the UK studio behind the recent re-release of Shemue I & II on PC. It's a quality port, and the games hold up surprisingly well at high resolutions. But how do you go about getting a 20-year-old console game to run on modern hardware? I asked tech director Noel Austin about the process.
Sega Confirms Valkyria Chronicles 4 DLC Schedule
Sega has revealed its DLC plans for strategy RPG Valkyria Chronicles 4 ahead of the game’s release later this month. The content — details in the table below — features a couple of free pieces in addition to its paid for content, with two pieces included in the game’s Memoirs from Battle Edition.
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

September 7th, 2018, 18:47
DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age PC Performance Analysis
DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age is a new turn-based JRPG that will undoubtedly please fans of this particular genre. The game is powered by Unreal Engine 4 and its lovely characters have been designed by Akira Toriyama so it’s time to benchmark it and see how it performs on the PC platform.
Latest version of ALOT mod for Mass Effect 3 adds/improves textures
Yesterday, we informed you about a new version of the ALOT (A Lot Of Textures) mod for Mass Effect 2 that added/improved 100 textures. And today, we are happy to report that the team has released a new version of this mod for Mass Effect 3.
The Influence of Dark Souls on Metroidvanias
Death’s Gambit is, another souls-like metroidvania to hit the steam store. With the release of so many games bearing the tag souls-like, it’s time to take a look at what that means for indie gaming.
How BioWare's Live Service Action Game Will Evolve to Meet Player Demand
At PAX West in Seattle last weekend, BioWare revealed more about the single-player portion of its upcoming live-service, action game Anthem. After the panel I had a chance to sit down with Anthem executive producer Mark Darrah and lead producer Mike Gamble to ask some burning questions that have been building since Anthem was revealed back in E3 2017
7 Cyberpunk 2020 Easter Eggs Hidden in CDPR's Gameplay Reveal
"CD Projekt Red has found all sorts of inventive ways to pay homage to the original tabletop RPG, Cyberpunk 2020 —some of which were on full display in the gameplay reveal last week."
MMORPGs for Single Player Gamer
Lately a number of studios have been jumping on the bandwagon, adding online games to their repertoire. This has been met with quite a bit of backlash. To some fans, it seems like an indication that developers are abandoning single player games, and the dedicated fans who play them, to pander to the competitive online gaming community. That is only a matter of opinion, but it doesn’t change the fact that online multiplayer has worked its way into the territory typically reserved for single player experience.
Shenmue 1 and II Patch Delayed
Shenmue fans! Unfortunately the patch we planned on releasing this week isn't ready yet and will instead be released on week commencing September 17th. We apologize for the delay but want to ensure you get the best game experience possible. We'll have more updates soon!
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

September 7th, 2018, 18:50
Hum so we need to wait for 2019 to by the complete game with regards to vc4.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

September 7th, 2018, 19:02
One more link for today.

Why the Breach developers left BioWare and EA for life as a AAA independent
When a game gets cancelled it's always the people who were makingit that get hurt the most. Years of their lives working diligently and creatively to build something special and then, through not necessarily any fault of their own, it's gone.

It's especially galling when the cancellation isn't due to qualitative reasons, or even budgeting constraints, but simply down to a company's internal change of strategy. That's what happened to EA-owned BioWare Austin and Shadow Realms, a nearly completed action RPG that debuted at Gamescom 2014 and cancelled less than six months later. A free-to-play multiplayer game was interesting to EA when it was pitched, but after struggling with similar titles (including Dawngate), and seeing how the industry was trending away from such experiences, EA decided it no longer fitted with its strategy.
Yes Breach is now a F2P game.
Originally Posted by you View Post
Hum so we need to wait for 2019 to by the complete game with regards to vc4.
Well it's Sega they are notorious with DLC. So yes.
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

September 7th, 2018, 21:21
MMORPGs for Single Player Gamer

Lately a number of studios have been jumping on the bandwagon, adding online games to their repertoire. This has been met with quite a bit of backlash. To some fans, it seems like an indication that developers are abandoning single player games, and the dedicated fans who play them, to pander to the competitive online gaming community. That is only a matter of opinion, but it doesn’t change the fact that online multiplayer has worked its way into the territory typically reserved for single player experience.
Well, "always on" (more or less) is in fact THE BESTEST DRM the industry can only think of … And in these times, it's about maximizing profits, not maximizing player's fun.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 8th, 2018, 05:30
How CD Projekt Red aims to improve side quests in Cyberpunk
When it comes to designing side quests, CD Projekt Red has a lot to live up to thanks to expectations set by The Witcher 3. In an interview with Metro, quest director on Cyberpunk 2077 Patrick Mills discusses the process of designing encounters for an open world environment.
Devs recount the making of Golden Axe, a crunch-ridden $15M flop
Back in 2008 Sega and the now-defunct game studio Secret Level released Golden Axe: Beast Rider, an attempt to revive the Golden Axe franchise (in 3D!) that earned a lukewarm reception from both critics and customers.

Now, nearly a decade later, the folks at Variety have published an interesting feature about the game's ~$15 million development which includes a lot of eye-opening input from some of the original dev team.
Garden Paws: A New Multiplayer RPG Now on Kickstarter
Garden Paws is a multiplayer RPG stimulation game that has the player building up a farm that they have inherited from their grandparents. In addition to a farm, the player is also in charge of managing a shop, which they require the help of a local construction shop to get up and running. The game allows the player to build up their very own town with the assistance of Mayor Wilson, and it does this through a whole slew of activities. The main point of the activities is to collect coins in order to build up the town and ensure that it prospers.
I Learned a Lot More About Pathfinder: Kingmaker at PAX West
Pathfinder: Kingmaker is just a few short weeks from release on the 25th, and I had the opportunity to get a comprehensive look at the game at PAX West. For those unaware, Pathfinder: Kingmaker is the first isometric RPG to bring the Pathfinder pen and paper RPG into a video game. It’s inspired by Baldur’s Gate and Fallout 1 and 2, and features a story based on the Kingmaker adventure path from Pathfinder.
GREEDFALL - Trailer & Gameplay - New Open World Action RPG 2019

loading…
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

September 8th, 2018, 05:41
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Well, "always on" (more or less) is in fact THE BESTEST DRM the industry can only think of … And in these times, it's about maximizing profits, not maximizing player's fun.
Its not just "always on" DRM but the telemetry they send back about the rig and, especially, the end user's habits
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

September 8th, 2018, 06:04
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Blends Role-Playing, City Management
I first saw Pathfinder: Kingmaker at GDC earlier this year, and I generally liked what I saw. The game seemed like a modern take on retro RPGs like Baldur’s Gate, where you recruit a party of adventurers, explore a big fantasy world, and tackle a complex political narrative. The game’s big differentiator — creating and managing your own kingdom — seemed more like icing on the cake. But now that I’ve had a chance to see it firsthand, ruling your realm in Kingmaker is a vital, and potentially perilous, part of the experience.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker – PAX West 2018 Impressions
Few games are as beloved as the Baldur’s Gate series. The sheer storytelling the game invoked is thought to be by some as near-legendary status. Many games have attempted to follow in its footsteps, only to be left in the shadow of the juggernaut. Well, times change, and there’s a new upstart challenger coming armed to the teeth. Pathfinder: Kingmaker follows in the footsteps of its predecessor, using the more modern and increasingly popular Pathfinder RPG ruleset that many pen-and-paper tabletop players are familiar with. Thankfully for myself, I had a chance to sit down and watch an extended demonstration of the game at PAX West.
Build Your Own Kingdom and Rule it Like a Jerk in Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Pathfinder: Kingmaker by Owlcat Games emphasizes exploring and battling monsters as much as any RPG, but players are also expected to put down roots by building a kingdom of their very own. How you build the kingdom, how you run it, and how your citizens react to your civic rule has an impact on the player bonuses you receive. Your engineering can even affect how your city looks, and the inhabitants it attracts.
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

September 9th, 2018, 04:45
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Update #58
Release is mere weeks away! Can you believe it? It feels like yesterday how we were sitting here, watching the crowdfunding progress in awe, hoping to get a chance to create the game we've all been dreaming about and then our community smashed one stretchgoal after another! We can't thank you enough for your support!
The Growth of Snapshot Games
Over the few updates we've had a lot to show on the game development side. With so much to go through, we haven't been keeping up with introducing you to the new members of the Snapshot Team. Snapshot Games has been continuing to grow over the last couple of months with many new members - and there are still more to come.
How Larian revised Divinity: Original Sin 2’s final act
Divinity: Original Sin 2 might be an exceptional RPG—not to mention PC Gamer’s 2017 game of the year—but after its launch last year, Larian Studios still thought it had room for improvement. With a console release on the cards, the developer set about working on Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition.
Star Wars: The Old Republic Fall Roadmap 2018
This Roadmap introduces the next major storyline as well as exciting new gameplay, guild-focused improvements and more coming this Fall in Star Wars: The Old Republic!
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

September 9th, 2018, 05:05
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Update #58
Thanks for the reminder, Couch! I forgot that my name will be listed for the in-game credit

Secondly, registering your name for the ingame credits. If you pledged for a tier, which allows you to have your name mentioned in our game's credits screen, you can now register your name on our backer portal.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

September 9th, 2018, 16:55
So it's Sunday not much news but here you go.

Underworld Ascendant Paul Neurath Interview
Paul Neurath might be considered the grandfather of the immersive sim. He was lead designer on Ultima Underworld, often regarded as the original immersive sim, back when Looking Glass was still known as Blue Sky Productions. As head of Looking Glass Studios, Neurath oversaw development of System Shock and pioneered the stealth genre with the Thief series.
Hand of Fate 2 Patch v1.6.0 Released
Big changes are coming to Hand of Fate 2's combat next week! This update is designed to empower players of all skill levels, whether they're fresh to the Game of Life and Death or tyrant-toppling champions.
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

September 10th, 2018, 15:57
Disco Elysium Previews

loading…

Ars Technica
Every major gameplay face-off, from full-blown melee to staring matches against yourself in a mirror, hinges on dialogue-tree options. The kicker is that, in many cases, failing is so delightful, so darkly humorous, that you just have to go for it—and the story often keeps going, as opposed to halting and punishing you for failed rolls. An example: in one run-through, I decided to attempt a "stealth" getaway while chatting with a hotel clerk, in spite of my stealth stat being the pits. The result of my failed roll was that I bounded away while loudly cackling and giving the clerk two highly raised middle fingers—and the action on screen unfolded in kind, with my cel-shaded polygonal character bounding over high-res, hand-drawn artwork of the hotel lobby in question. And the game just… kept going.
Destructoid
Playing a different build in Disco Elysium will provide an entirely different gameplay experience, and the programmer told me they're basically writing three completely different games based on how the character is developed. A full run through the game should take somewhere around 20-25 hours to complete. No release date has been announced yet, and no systems other than PC have been confirmed.
COGconnected
Right now that game is missing some voice lines and needs some polishing, but it’s in its last ten percent of development, and it’s clear that they’re close to the finish line. The story is where the devs promised me that they’re using their last months with the game to push the content, and I look forward to seeing some of the rough edges smoothed out. I played about forty-five minutes of the demo, and the entire situation with the strange voice in the protagonist’s head that talked a lot about primal feelings and wanting to sleep (me too, I tell the lizard-voice: I also want to sleep), as well as the connection to disco powers, were unexplained. Once the game is released, however, that connection will likely come along along. My mustachioed protagonist and I had only scratched the tip of the surface by the time I finished the demo, leaving behind a union on strike and kids throwing rocks at a corpse.
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

Tags
interviews, mods, previews, reviews, videos
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Couchpotato's Random RPG News