Latest place you've visited ? - Page 5 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Latest place you've visited ?

Default Latest place you've visited ?

August 6th, 2018, 14:20
Personally I prefer sanfran or boston to Seattle. Seattle isn't bad - certainly better than a lot of cities in USA; but to be honest I find it kind of boring. I usually go once every other year to visit friends; so maybe I'll hop back over there this fall of next fall. Hum. oh well.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#81

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - no longer boston
Posts: 7,758
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

Default 

August 29th, 2018, 11:37
[Deleted the ad] is the best spa in the world […] you can read more about it [Deleted the rest of the ad and the URL]

Edit
Moderator editing
Last edited by Eye; August 29th, 2018 at 15:10. Reason: Spam
Brexit is offline

Brexit

Banned

#82

Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

August 29th, 2018, 12:30
Or you could just try a delightful stay RPGWatch - the home of…


--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

#83

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,678
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)

Default 

August 29th, 2018, 13:25
Originally Posted by Brexit View Post
[Deleted the ad] is the best spa in the world […] you can read more about it [Deleted the rest of the ad and the URL]
I sincerely doubt it is the best spa in the world.

In my country for instance we have several places called ‘wellness centers’ that have multiple saunas (with degrees varying from 65C to 90C). An interesting experience is the ‘pouring session‘ performed by a ‘pouring master’ (really don’t know what the english terms are), who pours water on the hot stones so the hot sauna gets moist making it even harder to be in it. These session are always held at set hours in one of the saunas on the parc. In that moisty heat the ‘master’ starts waving his/her towel at the individuals attending the session, so all of a sudden you get very hot air on your skin to which the skin reacts with goose bumps while having it so hot you are giving ice cubes to put on your wrists/ankles.
Some people do not make it till the end of the session and leave the sauna to cool off.

Apart from the saunas every center has at least one or two huge bubblebaths, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, a hamam, a large steam room, some infrared ‘saunas’. Some saunas offer salt baths where floating is easy, or herb baths as well.

You can always sign up for some massages, or special facial/body treatments, both of which will cost you extra.

Of course, unlike your hotel no bathing suits or underwear are allowed, but some wellness centers have started to have one day in the week where a bikini or a swimming short is allowed. Of course these are the less hygienic saunas for those of us who are truly in for getting the real sauna experience (Wearing a swimming outfit you simply can not clean your self in the shower at every spot of your body after each sauna, or after going to the loo, which normally you are expected to do).
Only in the restaurants you are expected to wear a bathing gown. In the rest of the area you can walk naked, but some wear a towel around them, that is when walking from one sauna to the other of course.

To give you an idea, here are photos of just three centers:

https://www.elysium.nl/faciliteiten/

http://www.devarana.nl/_module/photo_album/5
http://www.devarana.nl/_module/photo_album/2

https://www.thermenbussloo.nl/nl/sauna/saunas/
https://www.thermenbussloo.nl/nl/sauna/baden/
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Last edited by Eye; August 29th, 2018 at 15:13. Reason: Deleted the spam
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#84

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

Default 

August 29th, 2018, 13:35
Bear in mind that they don't really care what is said about their links. Once their URL is up and being indexed by the search-engine bots across many sites, their work is done.

[Deleted the link]

Edit
Moderator editing
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Last edited by Eye; August 29th, 2018 at 15:49. Reason: Removed the link proving the spam to even a gullible person :)
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

#85

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,678
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 04:06
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
If I could recommend one place to visit on your next trip to the US, I would recommend Zion Park in Utah Heaven on Earth.
Had a family reunion on a mountain just north of there. Unfortunately, it was a BRUTALLY hot summer so we all just hid on top of our cool mountain. There were some bristlecone pines to see, though, which were pretty impressive. (At least to me.)
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#86

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,447
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

Default 

August 31st, 2018, 03:37
Do you run naked through the snow after your sauna, @Eye? I have Finnish relatives. My grandfather built a sauna in his house for my grandmother. (He did a nice job. I loved that thing.) When they visited, the first thing my Finnish relatives wanted to do after their sauna was run naked through the snow. They brought a photo album, and about a quarter of the pictures were of them running naked through the snow.
Capt. Huggy Face is offline

Capt. Huggy Face

Capt. Huggy Face's Avatar
Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#87

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,413
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 31st, 2018, 10:16
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
Do you run naked through the snow after your sauna, @Eye? I have Finnish relatives. My grandfather built a sauna in his house for my grandmother. (He did a nice job. I loved that thing.) When they visited, the first thing my Finnish relatives wanted to do after their sauna was run naked through the snow. They brought a photo album, and about a quarter of the pictures were of them running naked through the snow.
Hahaha. Snow after a sauna, running in freezing cold air, would be great.
Alas, we do not often have snow in my country, but getting a stroll outside after a sauna is the first thing I do. No towel or bathing gown wanted then, I need to cool off. After the stroll a cold shower and ending the cooling down with immersing myself in the ‘ice’ bath for a couple of seconds. Your skin starts to tingle afterwards, in a nice way.

I have heard that in Scandinavian countries and Russia you only visit the sauna amidst relatives. In The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany that is not the case. Men and women are mixed and people of all ages (16-80) visit the place. So you are amidst strangers.
First time everybody feels akward, but after 5 minutes that discomfort has passed.
I can highly recommend the experience. So do look for ‘wellness’ when visiting one of these countries. In The Netherlands before starting the hot/cold activities you can ask for a tour where they explain what to do. Because you not only need to warm up and cool off a certain way, but taking a rest, lying down, dozing off (the sauna gets even the youngest visitors sleepy when resting!), is equally important.
Btw most of the wellness centers do not allow kids at a certain age (too noisy).
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#88

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

Default 

August 10th, 2019, 07:07
Just went to see Come From Away. It's a musical in London. It's based on the true story of a town in Canada called Gander, with a population of less than 10,000 taking I was over 7,000 passengers when they had closed us airspace due to the 9/11 attacks in 2001.

It is really worth watching if you're in London. It is also being ran in new York.

The story is very well told and is very emotional, at the very least for anyone who still remembers that day.



I also watched Hamilton the musical a few months ago. Its a very different beast and very much more about the music than the one above. I recommend that one too.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#89

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,296
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

Default 

August 11th, 2019, 14:00
I was gathering reference material for mountain landscapes, and I came across this drone photography of the Dolomites, which I thought was quite stunning. Not the latest place I have been, though I have been before. I could quite happily live up there.


loading…
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

#90

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,678
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)

Default 

August 11th, 2019, 14:16
The Dolomites are Great, But I prefer the alpes for hiking.
I recently went To Austria, always great, a bit wet this year…
Ursusdraconis is offline

Ursusdraconis

Watchbear
Original Sin 2 Donor

#91

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beneath the sea
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

August 11th, 2019, 17:54
I went across the street. It isn't really a place per sey but it was there and I wasn't and then I was but alas like all things it couldn't last so i left.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#92

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - no longer boston
Posts: 7,758
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

Default 

August 11th, 2019, 18:34
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I was gathering reference material for mountain landscapes, and I came across this drone photography of the Dolomites, which I thought was quite stunning. Not the latest place I have been, though I have been before. I could quite happily live up there.


loading…
I have never been there. Any pics of yours?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#93

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,296
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

Default 

August 11th, 2019, 19:37
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I have never been there. Any pics of yours?
There probably would be some somewhere, but God knows what I've done with them. I'm not a great one for taking photos, TBH.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

#94

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,678
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)

Default 

July 30th, 2021, 22:52
Me and family made a quick trip to a beach (we live about 340 Kilometers from the nearest beach). We went to enjoy the last week of our holidays.

The sunset. One of the most beautiful spectacles in nature, even if it seems common, ordinary, repetitive.



(I know the picture itself is not that great, I took it from my smartphone and I had to zoom in the sunset in order to take other people out of the photo, that's because it's blurred.)

This beach is also a good place for kite surfing. People from all over Brazil come here to practice this sport.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
Last edited by henriquejr; July 30th, 2021 at 23:06.
henriquejr is offline

henriquejr

henriquejr's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#95

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Brasil
Posts: 2,998
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

Default 

July 31st, 2021, 03:35
Looks really nice to me, man. I have to go to the other side of Florida if I want to see the sun set on the water like that, yet daily I can see it rise majestically out of the sea, every single morning. It's breathtaking!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#96

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 13,273
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

Default 

July 31st, 2021, 09:04
Very nice @henriquejr
Forgot this thread existed.

Since we can't travel much, last place I've been is Wales. A place called Porthmadocq. Very nice place actually but its nice because its close to beaches and activities.

It has a few castles nearby too.

I don't have many pics without people in them though.
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#97

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,296
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

Default 

July 31st, 2021, 12:06
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Very nice @henriquejr
Forgot this thread existed.

Since we can't travel much, last place I've been is Wales. A place called Porthmadocq. Very nice place actually but its nice because its close to beaches and activities.
Yeah, I love it up there - right on the edge of Snowdonia National Park, which is beautiful, with loads to do. If you're taking nippers up there, I'd recommend Bounce Below.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

#98

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,678
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 31st, 2021, 13:12
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Yeah, I love it up there - right on the edge of Snowdonia National Park, which is beautiful, with loads to do. If you're taking nippers up there, I'd recommend Bounce Below.
My kid is only 2 right now, so a few years to go, but if we're both still on this website in 5 years time I'll ask you for recommendations

We went to Gypsy Wood park which has tons of activities for younger kids, then a drive-on beach which was fun.
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#99

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,296
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 31st, 2021, 14:22
Last year we took a road trip around Tennesee and one of the places was:
a one-horse town (literally like 10 houses) birth place of Tina Turner.

Sorry about the big picture - don't know how to resize in post.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo
Philistine is offline

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#100

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Latest place you've visited ?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:57.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch