Pictures taken at the Gamescom 2018 in Cologne, Germany

Any games that you saw which made a big impression on yourself - any surprise (positive or negative) ?
Thanks for asking, you, but I think you’ll have more luck getting a decent answer from Myrthos. He is interviewing devs, and gets a promo with footage, or live action, which, all in all, lasts for 15 minutes to half an hour or so. That way the chance of getting more useful info is higher.

Because the conference is so big and I want to see as much as I can in one day I tend not to stop for long at a stand.
I move on after admiring the visuals, after watching the behavior of the people in front of the big screens showing the highest quality videos.

Your question, I find it hard to answer:

In the big Halls it is all aimed at visual and audio effect. Every way you look is screaming at you for attention. From all sorts of games. For PC, Xbox, etc. And not just games. Facebook was there. Google was there. Twitch was there. Hardware suppliers. I sat in different gaming chairs. I saw a company that makes (visual) incredible looking PCs. Observing the visitors is another fun thing to do.

Now, back to the games. I know that big advertorial effects don’t say anything about a game, looks can be quite deceiving. But when you are walking there, having these stimili (incitements) coming at you from everywhere, you get spoiled. And then you tend to overlook the humble displays in the small corners. Corners that may be taken by a diamond (of a developer or a game).

The biggest stands are taken by the well-known names, with the loudest game noise/ music/presenters, and the many Indies are all packed together in one small area with hardly any space between them and many folk surrounding them (the hot temperature, caused by so many people close to each other and all the warmth creating equipment in that area did not make it appealing to stay for long).

Queues don’t necessarily mean that a game is worthwhile to play. It often turns out that there is a contest going on. People like to win things, even rubbish. :)
So why waste time if it does not exclude a disappointment?

Like I said in another posting. Often you only get to play for an x amount of time, and just the parts that were pre selected (and having no single bug). Every now and then a game company offers you the chance of starting a new game though, so right at the beginning of the game.
Well, that is my experience when playing at the Gamescom anyway.
So you get to learn the controls a bit. Now, it usually takes me some time to get used to them. Especially when a stranger is looking over my shoulder to see more of the game.
So I can not really be a trustworthy judge of the controls either.
Than there is the quality of the visuals. Yeah, I prefer movie quality, but I am well aware I was a big fan of Zork, complete darkness… so…

I have a soft spot for medieval/history, so I look longer at the big or small screens when my eye detects a sword or a crossbow. Post apocalyptic theme is not my thing - it does not necessarily mean those games suck. :)

The first time I visited a game convention I felt like a kid in a candy store, I was overwhelmed and did not know where to look, smiling all the time, trying to get my hands on every free item that was thrown in the air.
Now I am more accustomed to it. And to leave a good impression on me, or even to surprise me, that takes more than just a nice show.

I remember having a nice conversation about Gothic with the fellows of Piranha Bytes once, at that time working on Risen 1. And a few years ago, a pleasant talk with the guy that created that cute mouse (Ghost of a Tale), who was sitting in a dark quiet hallway, easily overlooked but the adorable mouse suddenly got my eye.

Now, you, something memorable like that did not happen this Gamescom. :)

Last edited:
Eye,

thank you for the answer. In a sense you sort of did answer the question for it sounded like nothing was all that exciting and that in itself was a disappointment. Perhaps I misread your post or tone of your post but that was my take from what you said. Sadly I tend to read in-between the lines and often incorrectly; also I suspect it was a *lot* more exciting the first time you went.

Thanks for asking

Now, you, something memorable like that did not happen this Gamescom. :)

Any games that you saw which made a big impression on yourself - any surprise (positive or negative) ?
On second thought, one thing surprised me: the fellows of Kingdom Come Deliverance desinfected the mouse, KB and headset before you were allowed using them.
I guess medieval times has taught them one thing: plagues can be quite dangerous. ;)

Eye,

thank you for the answer. In a sense you sort of did answer the question for it sounded like nothing was all that exciting and that in itself was a disappointment. Perhaps I misread your post or tone of your post but that was my take from what you said. Sadly I tend to read in-between the lines and often incorrectly; also I suspect it was a *lot* more exciting the first time you went.
Yes, it was a lot more exciting the first time. Like going to the fair for the first time,. But I would not go that far by saying it was disappointing this time. There is a lot to see and to enjoy, but I do not expect being swayed into buying a game overthere, not even getting any answers about its playability. For that to happen I watch trailers, read previews, reviews, and RPGWatch comments of course. :)
If I had come to the Gamescom expecting being able to make some buying decisions I’d been surely disappointed (not saying here I won’t buy any of the games presented at Gamescom 2018, I am just too busy with KCD right now, after that I planned Stardew Valley, which was not present at the Gamescom, Ghost of a Tale, also not present, and maybe the Witcher 3, also no one from them anywhere to be seen in the big halls).

But really, I had a good time. :)

Edit. @you;
I gave it a second thought.
I am disappointed in that sense that no game appealed to me in such a way that I am eager to learn more about it.

Last edited:
Not that I know. I just photographed it because of the throne. :)

Edit:
@JDR13;
It is a “strategy browser game”, by Yoozoo games:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...rones®-Winter-Coming™-Announced-Gamescom-2018

Game of Thrones Winter is Coming has been designed to give players a balance of strategy and roleplaying where they can create a house, customize their castle, expand their territory, train an army, and progress through the history of Westeros. Players will also be able to team up with their friends and participate in player vs. player battles.

Last edited:
Ah ok, thanks.

A browser game huh? That's disappointing. I hope one day we'll eventually get a GoT game that's worthy of the name.

At Tropico you could dress up as a captain and be photographed together with a fair maiden (see pic with 'Foto Box').

They're making another Tropico ??

I have been playing this since the very first one came out.
I distinctly remember it was almost 1GB in size and I thought that was mad!

@Pladio;
Number 6.

I have played Tropico too, a long time ago, and I liked it. :)

I remember seeing some sort of agricultural sim at the Gamescom… number 18 if I am not mistaken. :)

Well, Eye thanks for posting these pictures. Even if I could get there, not sure I'd actually want to go... looks like way too many people for me. Perhaps if I lived in Germany I'd want to go there and just spend all my time at the Realms Beyond booth as I'm pretty excited for that game. I just don't like being around large crowds of people very much, but I guess the indie games don't usually draw in huge crowds.

Well, Eye thanks for posting these pictures. Even if I could get there, not sure I'd actually want to go… looks like way too many people for me. Perhaps if I lived in Germany I'd want to go there and just spend all my time at the Realms Beyond booth as I'm pretty excited for that game. I just don't like being around large crowds of people very much, but I guess the indie games don't usually draw in huge crowds.
Did you notice my photo of Realms Beyond? It is the last one, the one with the lady and the eye. :) In posting # 9.
It was very small. No room for huge crowds.

Edit:
@daveyd;
To give you a better idea, their spot is between the plants and the lady bending over to reach her bag.

Attachments

• 0A95A9AA-0B58-4225-9FEC-87965353B417.jpg
    0A95A9AA-0B58-4225-9FEC-87965353B417.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 55
Did you notice my photo of Realms Beyond? It is the last one, the one with the lady and the eye. :) In posting # 9.
It was very small. No room for huge crowds.

Edit:
@daveyd;
To give you a better idea, their spot is between the plants and the lady bending over to reach her bag.

Yeah, I did. Thanks. Ceres just posted about in their forums, too. Kickstarter coming in October!

Wow, great pics!

I had forgotten about BioMutant yet again. Looks like it might be fun but I haven't heard any news in a long time.

I remember seeing some sort of agricultural sim at the Gamescom… number 18 if I am not mistaken. :)
Actually it is number 19. I find that amazing, what is it that they haven’t figured out yet in 18 versions about farming that made them make version 19?
I don’t really need to know the answer about that, I rather be amazed about it :)

My guess is that version 20 will be at Gamescom next year.

Back
Top Bottom