Help with a crossword puzzle

Have the puzzle people revealed the depths of their evil yet?

Have the puzzle people revealed the depths of their evil yet?

The solution was "Agil". But no explanation. I won't give up, but I may not be able to find out what's behind it.

pibbur

As I have said (repeatedly), crossword puzzle authors are evil. One of the worst is Rolf Hansen who makes rather difficult and very good (quite funny) puzzles. He's my favourite. But boy, does he like really weird words for his solutions.

Last week I processed one of his crosswords, and I'll give you two examples from the puzzle.

1. Que word: Monotony. Solution (in Norwegian): "einerlei". Now, I suppose the Germans here will immediately recognize "Einerlei", which indeed means monotony. It IS also a word in Norwegian (derived from German), but according to a dictionary I consulted, it is very rarely used. I had never heard of it,
  2. Que word: Craftsman. Solution (in Norwegian): "sverdfeger." Again our German watcher should recognize "Schwertfeger", which is a craftsman working on swords. And again, it is a word in Norwegian, derived from German, but rarely used and until last week unknown to me.

I LOVE these puzzles!!!

BTW: I've no idea if these words are common in German.

BTW2: Any Norwegians who already knew these words, are encouraged not to post about it here.

Que word: Weird watcher, 6 letters who doesn't like easy crossword puzzles.

Last edited:
Schwerdtfeger, Schwertfeger and Schwerdfeger are still common surnames in Germany. It means weaponsmith.

Einerlei is rarely used, I know it only in the saying "Es/Das ist mir Einerlei" Which means
  • It's all one to me.
  • I have no preference.
  • It's all the same to me.
  • I so don't care.

I found out some more about "Agil" as a solution to "Gjennomtrekk". "Gjennomtrekk" can be translated into "stretch" in English. And stretch can be translated into "fleksibel" (flexible) in Norwegian. So there is apparently some sort of connection between the two words, but pretty far-fetched in my opinion. Still doesn't solve the problem that "Gjennomtrekk" is a noun, while "agil" is an adjective.

pibbur who may, depending on his mood, examine the problem a bit mor, but who will never stop working on devious crossword puzzles.

I think this might be one of those displeasing cryptic clues that really doesn't add up. I hate when that happens - you spend ages scratching your head trying to solve nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom