Interesting resources for game development and study

Yeah, man. I know what :p means. I've been doing smileys since they had noses. ;-)

No more? Well, now what will we talk about?! Might be time for Ep 7 of that Refn puppet show.

I wonder how Darts project is going. Maybe he'll come back with a grand announcement soon?

Well, that's why I started this thread as being about resources and possibly interesting things in game development. It wasn't my intention to make it about my project, as such. You see, if I ever managed to get it to the point of doing something with it, I wouldn't present it as this avatar. I'd do it through a different and strictly professional identity.

Well, it's your thread, it's about game development. I'm just combining the two. I find most people here don't like talking about games as much as their opinion about games. A game people don't like is often more interesting a discussion than one they do. Sometimes it almost feels like all we really need these days in comments is a bunch of canned responses that automatically appear with each post for people to Like.

It's not as bad as reddit, though, with its downvoting. Free speech is so fucking dead.

Anyway, don't you think you should announce here with the avatar people know? I'd probably ignore the post if it was from a 1 post user but I might buy a game I don't want just because it's Ripper.

Well, that's very nice of you. As a rule though, I have strict separation between online shenanigans, and my real world self. Anything I put out as myself goes through a very strict mental PR department - but the stuff I put on here... not so much. :p

If I get to that point, I would retire this account, and start a new one. I wouldn't have a situation where I had essentially a sock puppet account touting something, while I'm still around. That would be questionable conduct, I think, and not cool.

Yep, it's worth keeping an eye on the freebies in the market. They sometimes give away some top quality stuff, and most of the assets can be used in any engine you want.

Lumberyard has made available a new game sample, which is built entirely with its visual scripting system, without any code. I find this sort of thing very useful, and I think visual scripting is helpful when learning the ways of a game engine - the diagrammatic approach is good for getting a handle on how things work. Diving straight into code that references all sorts of concepts and terminology you're unfamiliar with is not much fun.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/gamete...-canvas-project-n-e-m-o-sample-now-available/

Which engine did amazon acquired as the basis for this kit ?

Lumberyard has made available a new game sample, which is built entirely with its visual scripting system, without any code. I find this sort of thing very useful, and I think visual scripting is helpful when learning the ways of a game engine - the diagrammatic approach is good for getting a handle on how things work. Diving straight into code that references all sorts of concepts and terminology you're unfamiliar with is not much fun.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/gamete...-canvas-project-n-e-m-o-sample-now-available/

Which engine did amazon acquired as the basis for this kit ?

They bought the code of Cryengine 3, and forked it from that point. I like the way it's coming along, and there are no royalty costs for a single player game - they make a cut by requiring online games to use their services. There's very little in terms of tutorials and resources, but, on the other hand, they've been very good at providing working examples to learn from. The engine comes with "Starter Game", which is quite a rich project to play with.

My biggest complaint with it is that it doesn't run on linux natively (i know that is not an issue for most people). Amazon ws gonna develop it for linux but decided there wasn't enough interest so dropped it.

Is it available for Mac? I often found that some apps that work on Mac can also work work on Linux, sometimes with just a little modification.

No. I'd say you can forget about Lumberyard for now if you need a Linux dev platform. Even if they do a Mac version, I wouldn't fancy trying to hack something this complex to run on Linux. Getting a stable setup that would build reliably I suspect would be very painful, if even possible.

Here's a nice waterfall material, which the guy is giving away for free. Download from google drive. Take all due precautions with stuff downloaded from unknown sources.

I'm very fussy about water and fire effects, and I find even many of the professionally produced ones are quite lacking. I like the effect this guy has achieved.

I found this quite interesting - some footage of experimentation with an open world in Godot. The pixelated textures are not some weird restriction of Godot - I suspect that's just to keep performance up during testing, particularly as the LOD system is not in place yet. Early days, but very promising, I think.

It does look decent but will be interesting to see the engine optimization as resolution/details increase.

I found this quite interesting - some footage of experimentation with an open world in Godot. The pixelated textures are not some weird restriction of Godot - I suspect that's just to keep performance up during testing, particularly as the LOD system is not in place yet. Early days, but very promising, I think.

The renderer is actually pretty good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XptlVErsL-o

The problem at the moment is that there's no LOD system and no occlusion culling, which is a pretty fatal combination for large landscape performance. That's all on the roadmap, but they made the decision to convert the engine to Vulkan, which means that 3D feature work was suspended for the last few months - any new feature would just have to be reimplemented after the Vulkan transition is complete (hopefully by October).

Blender 2.8 was released recently, which was a massive upgrade to the software that's been worked on for years. It may be worth checking out again if you've disliked its workflow in the past.

Also, here is a little animated short film made with Blender, and shows what it's capable of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom