Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Thiss oddity of a game is expected to be released by the end of this year, a sort of presentation video appeared:
https://www.onlysp.com/ancestors-the-humankind-odyssey-getting-closer-release/
In the gameplay trailer, titled ‘Explore’, Désilets says that the player has the world to explore for themselves, with no mini-map to guide their journey. The only continuous objectives for the player is to eat, drink, and sleep; to regain their stamina, players must sleep for at least four hours.
Throughout the game, the player will encounter several different threats. These threats may often attack each other, not only the player. Players must be cautious of other things that may kill them in the game, avoiding dangerous foods, deep waterways, and high ledges.
Désilets reminds players that they are playing in an environment that wants to kill them: “Extinction is the norm, survival is the exception.”
The game begins over 10 million years ago, but spans over a time period of eight million years. Check out the trailer below, and expect two new trailers—’Expand’ and ‘Evolve’—in the coming months.

As you will notice in the video - there is no hairworks and Désilets plays it with mushrooms although there is PC in front of him. That could be because it's filmed for playstation blog, but also could mean the PC version will contain outdated visuals tech and unplayable with standard input.

Based on what's presented there I can only repeat what I said on NMS first trailer.
This game could be the one to pwn them all outselling all EA's turds combined or will end up an utter garbage. There will be no middleground.

So what do you actually DO? Eat, sleep, drink, and avoid being eaten?

A new video appeared:

This game is needs hairworks. Desperately!

I'm still not terribly impressed - calling your skill tree 'neurons' doesn't make it evolution at all. The graphics are really nice, though.

Well, it's not like I need to decide whether or not to buy right now. It will be interesting to see what this has to offer when it appears.

https://kotaku.com/im-hooked-on-ancestors-a-tough-new-survival-game-about-1837445606
Ancestors is a third person survival game designed to be played with a controller.
As the game is temporary Epic Store exclusive, I can't ask if this is fake news anywhere.

I ought to buy the game on the release (next week!), but as I don't want to spend money on mushrooms, in my case no m+k on PC means no buy.

EDIT:
Seems it's either fake news article or Logitech is spreading lies:

The brand new game from Assassin's Creed creator Patrice Désilets is a survival simulator like you have never seen it before. Here's everything you need to know about Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey. Get the best out of your game with the Logitech G G513 Keyboard http://bit.ly/2TwJ0VQ

So who should I trust? Gawker's trash news site or manufacturer of cheapest peripherals I usually address as garbage?

Trust the requirements that show up on the store! Errr, Epic does give those, right?

Trust the requirements that show up on the store! Errr, Epic does give those, right?

Yes. Doesn't say anything about K&M or mushrooms. though. But I don't think that's typically mentioned under requirements (checked Pathfinder on Steam, doesn't say anything about input devices there). I suppose they would have mentioned mushrooms (I really like that term, @joxer;) if the game required that, but maybe not if it is just recommended.

pibbur who only has uneducated guessworks at the moment.

Last edited:
Steam will say if it has controller support (though I don't understand the difference between "full" and "partial" support - I see games with partial that I've played with nothing but a controller). I guess keyboard/mouse support is still assumed.

It is streamed.

Streamers do not like the no hand held approach, especially with mini map lack of pointers. It requires a bit of sense of orientation.

I'm more interested into knowing if it's played.

Anyway, I'm basically "imprisoned" for the rest of the week and have no idea when I'll start playing it, but expect early impressions soon.
PCG… A hypocrites' paradise that usually praise grinders and in this case suddenly hates it. Sorry, but I just can't trust their reviews any more.

There isn't just one "PC Gamer" - there's a bunch of people making reviews there.

Where? On youtube? I can't care less about pay per stalling rubbish platforms. ;)

I've read a few random reviews and I'm utterly disappointed. By reviews.

Perhaps the game is supercomplex for mainstream journalists used to low IQ required garbage? Gamespot slapped 4/10 on it for… Honestly I didn't understand why exactly.
Gamespot aside, there are plenty of reviews with above average scores.

Not a single review I picked to read explained what's really going on with the game while someone is playing it. Why something happens, who happens, what happens, etc, no review will tell you.
Equally, not a single one explained technicalities under the hub (for example save anywhere or checkpoints? don't search for an answer in reviews).

There is however something a reader can pick from reviews and it's bugs. A predator gets stuck in the foliage near a settlement and because of that the game automatically kills "apes" one by one. Or an unknown animal that isn't predator gets stuck in a tree which causes all "apes" to get in alert state which prevents them from doing anything else as if they're not "apes" but turkeys during a flood.
I have no idea why these reviewers just didn't revert to previous checkpoint or reload a savegame, depending which system the game uses (and none of them specified as I wrote already).

All reviews I saw have one thing in common. Reviewers played the game with mushrooms.
Amateurs detected.

I'm still "under siege", aka not "home alone". The hostage situation will be over in a few days so I'll be able to start playing the game and maybe this stuck in the props bug gets fixed till then (I don't hope much though).

A message for Chien:
It is installed.

Ah, yes, forgot to mention: experience was optimized for use of controllers. So the product claimed.

The product lies, streamers stall.

Ancestors plays best with k+m. How do I know that? Managed to steal about an hour from my obligations and played it. Don't believe me please, believe FireSpark81's several youtube videos. The only thing I'm confused with is that default key for skipping cutscenes is tab, but whatever everything can be remapped and I bet no streamer will skip anything as it means shorter game = less money to earn. Again don't believe me but go on Steam ancestors forum and you'll notice trolls spitting on the game because "cutscenes cannot be skipped". They can. But trolls believe streamers and not actual players. Bah.

The game is streamers' paradise. The player past two tutorial objectives (hide as a baby, collect that baby as an adult) has absolutely no idea what to do next whatsoever. There is no objective except a few vague "hints". Well here's one, after returning the baby to your nest, go to sleep and improve "dexterity" because you cannot use both hands without that and you need to use both hands asap. Additionally, HUD elements are a mystery, ingame help doesn't explain those in detail. If the game proves fun enough like NMS_next, I'll make a thread on all these lifesaving/timesaving bits. Won't be today, I have a concert to attend tonight and that means hangover tomorrow. Etc. Stupid life.

Now imagine an ignorant streamer doing things randomly for hours just because they don't know what, how nor where. Longer the ignorance, longer the video, more money in the pocket.
Expect more of "streamerfriendly" videogames in the future where they don't artificially stall, but the playthrough takes months because the game doesn't explain anything. The problem is - these games won't be liked by actual players. Which means less money for developers. Do we want streamers or developers to earn $?

Last edited:
The product lies,
So the dev team is unproficient. And they lie about their product in the very first minutes. Sounds like a vid product to support.

The game is streamers' paradise.
Not by their words.

Streamers and the big backlog club have common points, mostly through their approach to consumption.

Streamers work 8 to 10 hours per day, they do not care about product that stall or whatever
They want products to support a convertion between viewers and money. And picturing themselves as struggling does not help.
Expect more of "streamerfriendly" videogames in the future where they don't artificially stall, but the playthrough takes months because the game doesn't explain anything. The problem is - these games won't be liked by actual players. Which means less money for developers. Do we want streamers or developers to earn $?

By streamers'experience, the playthrough does not last months. Maybe a week for streamers who interact the most with their viewers.

The best measure for streamers is convertion. At the end of a vid product, how much they have pocketed from streaming the vid product.

It might be $1000, $2000, $10 000, $50 000. This is the primary measure for a vid product worth anything from streamers'perspective.

And this vid product wont rank high. CP 2077 on the other hand is going to be very good for streamers because CD Projekt work and developp their products with streamers needs in mind.

Prevents them from making games but between selling much and making games, they made up their mind.

Man… Whatever.

Finished, not completed, the game. As you can see in the next pic I've reached the final evolution (top right corner) while having discovered 71% feats.

pic.jpg

To be honest, the final evolution on average player will happen when you reach cca 66%. Average as it can happen with less % if one will grind generations or more % if one will ignore generational mutations.
Anyway, I won't be going 100% for sakes of completion. No use and I've had enough of certain grinding mechanics in it.

---

Pros:
- The game is an unique entry in the stale survival genre. The random generator is used only for generational mutations and it's a bit rigged based on your playthrough thus if you fight a lot, the next mutation won't be random but will give you an attack boost for example. The map, trashmobs and collectibles are all handplaced! Also, you're playing not one person or a group, but generations of a tribe.
- I hate survival genre, but this game is different enough to make me state I hate outdated survival games, but not fresh one(s).
- No microtransactions nor DLC planned.
- Unexplained HUD elements at start seems horrible design, once you deduct what's what it feels like superb minimalistic thing in such a game.
- Default PC controls are fantastic. A minor annoyance is use of backspace in evolution menu but that can be remapped.
- In more than 40 hours of my playthrough the game never crashed. There are still some bugs, but no crashes is a nice touch.
- After two initial tutorial tasks the game goes silent and tells you absolutely nothing. It's you who needs to discover what, how and where. At first you get confused, but if your inner curiousity kicks in, you'll adore each and every new thing discovered.

Cons:
- If you're hearing impaired, DO NOT buy this game. You need to hear a chime to succeed in any "minigame" (Dark Souls is QTE 2.0, this here is QTE 0.9) otherwise the game is a torture.
- The bloody stalker cat always appears when you don't want to see it. Due to random generator you might kill it with one "spear", but sometimes you'll fight it over and over so it dies and doesn't bother you for a while… Till the game spawns another. This means enormous timewaste on sharpening branches, in 10 hours of playtime you'll be sharpening at least an hour.
- Another stupid grind is bonding (grooming). Also an hour of 10 you'll be repeating this mundanity so you can have kids. WTF!
- No hairworks means fur looks horrible. An utter misdesign in a game full of furry creatures almost a decade after TW3.
- Activating a node in neural net lasts for far too long (holding mouse till doomsday). This should have been at least 5x faster. A mod please!
- The game advertises mushrooms. LOL. Use k+m, seriously, I have no idea how anyone could play this with mushrooms.*
- Right, you have to eat, sleep, mate… But there is no need to pee nor poop. Dafuq?

---

Mentioned the game has some bugs. It's only correct to list those:

Upon starting the game, says press A. You're suposed to press Space. Oddly, if you exit the game to main menu, it does say press Space, but not if it's initial start.

While deliberately falling from trees (holding C) sometimes you drop on nonexisting point of a tree instead on a ground. Stuck that way, you need to press S (to move down the tree) then past a step you can again start falling with C.
After 100 hours with a game this irritating bug never saved my skin, if only it did. And it's annoying while you're grinding breaking bones feats by getting hurt.

Sometimes there is no option to groom a fertile female, you need to do that because the game is all about making babies. In fact that female is comletely stuck, you can order her to follow you but she won't move. An easy fix is to switch to play her and she'll start moving and have an option to groom anyone.

Trashmobs and apes can get stuck on or in the ground. When trashmobs get stuck it's not a bug but a feature - you grind intimidate skills and neural energy easily. Aka always lure trashmobs near water stream, there is a big chance they'll get stuck on boulders there thus you can grind neural energy to max through intimidation without dodging till doomsday.
When your apes get stuck under surfaces, damn if it's a fertile female or a kid you want to carry. In such case you can order them to follow you then move far away from the campsite so the game despawns/spawns the ape near you (as seen ages ago in Mass Effect, not seen ever in outdated Gamebryo games with doorblocking NPCs).

After evolving within evolution screen (E) it's not possible to browse through evolution feats in that same screen. Exit to main menu then continuing the game fixes this annoyance.

A previously unlocked neural dot is impossible to activate again past new generation or evolution with neural energy. Due to meteorite's nature (unlock of a random node) it's possible it triggered the bug, but I can't be sure. In my case it was a food poisoning dot which is pretty much irrelevant, but I'd be furious if this happened to my combat or movement skills. The only cure to this is to backup the savegame frequently then revert to it if shit happens, I wasn't doing that sadly, but after my neural tree got bugged I did it frequently.
The location of savegames to backup:
C:\Users\<yourprofile>\AppData\Local\Ancestors\Saved\SaveGames

---

Should you buy the game? I say yes. But only if you have nothing else to play or just want to see a survival game that isn't nearly as boring nor annoying as other survival clones of clones. Besides, this one is strictly singleplayer!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
* - as you can see in comments on DSOG's review, I'm not the only one who thinks this game is supposed to be played with k+m and not mushrooms:
https://www.dsogaming.com/special/reviews/ancestors-the-humankind-odyssey-review/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom