Mass Effect - Legendary Edition in Spring 2021

Meh. Not gonna buy it again just for a 4k Ultra HD graphics upgrade.:p

Yeah, I had seen their tweet and reported that too, here's the main meat on their page though.

I find this strange, to say the least, are they expecting to make money to help finance other developments? And should they allocate internal resources to this?
Our goal was not to remake or reimagine the original games, but to modernize the experience so that fans and new players can experience the original work in its best possible form. It’s been amazing to see the adventures of Commander Shepard take on new life in super-sharp resolution, faster framerates, and beautiful visual enhancements. As game developers, we always hope that our games will transcend their original platforms.
Not sure a revamp is going to add much to that type of game, it's good as it is now. And the last instalments weren't criticized because of their graphics.

And then the announce of a next game in the series. That and the last video on Dragon Age only give me the impression there might be plans for games, but they're unsure yet which direction to take. I miss the Bioware of BG, NWN and KOTOR.

EDIT: I love how these forums mess with some characters, the code to unescape them really ought to be fixed ;)

Last edited:
Meh. Not gonna buy it again just for a 4k Ultra HD graphics upgrade.:p
I don't care about cosmetics, I just want a singleplayer trilogy without mmo.
If no mmo inside, I'll buy. If yes, hey, I already have that garbage version(s).

Well just two things to share and that's it.

1. A new Mass Effect was already admitted to be in early development, but beyond that not many details have been shared yet. I hope it's Andromeda 2.0.

2. The next Dragon Age has already been announced but it's development has been a mess. It was already rebooted once by EA and redone from scratch.

So I agree it seems like BioWare/EA have no idea were to go with both series.

I'm not talking about QTE mechanics but about monetization. :)

I hope they find a good lead writer for their next Dragon Age, and they let them do their creative job! A few good ones seem to have left, like David Gaider and Drew Karpyshyn. Lukas Kristjanson is still there, I believe.

Speaking of people leaving Bioware, have you seen this? I'm wondering what they're cooking up :)
https://www.archetype-entertainment.com/

If it adds native controller support for ME1, I think that would be worth a re-purchase for me. Really enjoyed my renegade playthrough of the trilogy, would definitely be worth another spin.

Would be worth getting for me because I've only played one of the DLCs. I'm not sure I can fit it in, though. All three games plus DLC has got to be well over 200 hours!

(Well, probably worth it. We haven't actually got a price yet.)

It's been a long time since I've played ME1 -- seeing it prettied up a little would be a nice excuse for a replay.

I never purchased ME3 in the first place, though, as I don't play shooters and the series had drifted too far in that direction for me -- it sounds like the three games are being released as a package? I don't know that I'd pay for that.

They'll put minimum effort into graphics upgrades, just like 99.9% of such projects do. If they had still never reduced the DLC prices (which they resisted for a long time), this might be worthwhile. But a year or so back they finally put those on sale.

Here's the BioWare N7 Announcement.

Link - https://blog.bioware.com/2020/11/07/happy-n7-day-4/
For many months now, our team at BioWare has been hard at work updating the textures, shaders, models, effects, and technical features of three enormous games. Our goal was not to remake or reimagine the original games, but to modernize the experience so that fans and new players can experience the original work in its best possible form. It's been amazing to see the adventures of Commander Shepard take on new life in super-sharp resolution, faster framerates, and beautiful visual enhancements. As game developers, we always hope that our games will transcend their original platforms. Having the opportunity to remaster the trilogy means that the fruits of a decade of our work will live on, and will be experienced better and clearer than ever before.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition will include single-player base content and DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3, plus promo weapons, armors, and packs all remastered and optimized for 4k Ultra HD. It will be available in Spring 2021 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, with forward compatibility and targeted enhancements on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5. More information to come in the new year!

Meanwhile here at BioWare, a veteran team has been hard at work envisioning the next chapter of the Mass Effect universe. We are in early stages on the project and can't say any more just yet, but we're looking forward to sharing our vision for where we'll be going next.

So... not even so much as a screenshot yet? I'm curious what it looks like, although I think it's unlikely I'll ever play through the trilogy again.

get ALOT mods for all 3 games and fuck their "remasters"

Last edited by a moderator:
Now the question is whether the remaster will cost three times the price of a new game?

I am disappointed that BioWare did not realize the potential in the IP they developed. The early timeline events such as the first contact or Turian wars would have made great games that could have been closer to ME1 in their atmosphere than ME:A. It always has to be turned into some kind of world/galaxy saving plot…The feeling of mystery, danger and exploration vanishes quickly when you meet aliens that walk on two feet like us, talk English, have boobs, and want to have sex with you. Not like that BioWare.

Next time they'll release a new ME game, let's not lynch it as we did with ME:A, OK? A bad space RPG is still better than the MMOs they are currently making.

Last edited:
It always has to be turned into some kind of world/galaxy saving plot…The feeling of mystery, danger and exploration vanishes quickly when you meet aliens that walk on two feet like us, talk English, have boobs, and want to have sex with you. Not like that BioWare.

After ME:A only thing they dare to do is a remake of the old stuff instead of focusing on new content. Next time they'll make a new ME game, let's not lynch it as we did with ME:A, OK? A bad space RPG is better than the MMOs they are currently making.
Working for EA seems to have had its toll, for the creativity process as well as the technical aspects.

As Karpyshyn put it, it has always been a very demanding job, but motivation makes it possible and rewarding. Once the company changes and become driven by other priorities, it undermines this balance.
Fortunately for me, I have another gig now. I’m proud to announce that I’m the lead writer for Archetype Entertainment! Founded by James Ohlen – the creative genius behind BioWare hits like Baldur’s Gate, KOTOR and Dragon Age – Archetype is a new video game studio under the Wizards of the Coast umbrella… and I haven’t been this excited to work on a project in a long, long time! (Side note: I’ve always enjoyed working with WotC; they even published my first novel!)

I’ve been in the video game industry for twenty years now. When I started at BioWare, everything was fresh and exciting. It was a dream job – talented people working together to create epic games like Baldur’s Gate, KOTOR, Mass Effect and Dragon Age. But as we grew and became more successful, things changed. We became more corporate. We were less able to make what we loved, and the teams were pushed to create games based on market research rather than our creative instincts and passions. My dream job became just a job, and I lost the enthusiasm and excitement I once had.
Then there are other quirks for ME:A like having to design everything from scratch to comply with the Frostbite engine, with a new team on top of that. Not that ME2 was loved by everyone, and it didn't have those "excuses"... so perhaps there's more to it, or that one was just a mishap.

Yeah, I hate how all those companies give in to the MMORPG fast-food industry of gaming. That doesn't mean that they won't produce single-player games anymore, there is still hope, if only Bioware could get this Dragon Age 4 right, that's really what they'd need. But maybe Bioware is just a name, now, I don't think it has much left in common with the company we knew back then.

As good as it it? The last game had cut scenes for the ending!

Back
Top Bottom