What games are you playing now? - Page 646 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

June 28th, 2020, 23:02
I picked up Hades and the second South Park game in the Steam sale.

Hades has a very satisfying gameplay loop. So far, I've had a fairly steady sense of progression, even though I haven't yet beaten the second area boss in ~30 runs. It has the trademark Supergiant music and visual style, and I like the story bits more than those in previous Supergiant games (basically, you unlock conversations with the various denizens of Hell as you go along)

I haven't played much of South Park yet, but it seems fun. If you think (or thought, in my case) the show is funny, you'll think the game is funny.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

June 29th, 2020, 16:30
I am *still* chugging through The Outer Worlds on the Switch. Like everything else I am slower working through this on Switch than on PC, but I have adjusted (mostly) to its quirks and flaws … except that last night I just wanted to close a quest so was sprinting back through a ‘respawn area’ and ended up getting shot at from behind as enemies popped in after I was past … ugh. Fortunately was able to win the battle but it is an annoying flaw.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

June 29th, 2020, 16:53
Frozen State: Survival game with rpg elements like skills and leveling. It is a Russian game that has a few translation errors, but it's fairly decent and brutally hard. If you've played The Long Dark, that's the closest comparison. TLD in Siberia instead of Canada. I think @JDR13 would like this game quite a bit.

The story is interesting, but basic. You're one of 3 different characters that has survived a man-made ice age. Humans triggered the ice age to slow down the incurable virus that was discovered when uncovering some ancient relics. This virus radically changes humans into atrocities, some zombie-like and others weirder. A little Cthulu mixed in maybe.

What makes this game fun is just the sheer difficulty. I feel I should be able to survive if I don't make many mistakes, but I've failed about 15 times so far Leveling consists of finding an enhancement drug one enemies and in the environment. Each time you improve yourself it takes more of the drug to improve the same skill. So 10,15,20 units for the 1st 3 levels, etc.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

June 29th, 2020, 23:35
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Frozen State: Survival game with rpg elements like skills and leveling.
I've looked at this game before, but never followed through. It's as cheap as chips, but the complaints about abysmal controls put me off. Are the controls really that bad?
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

June 30th, 2020, 02:26
The camera controls are a little wonky. There is a slight delay where the field of view isn't where your head is facing. It doesn't bother me that much, but if those types of things are your trigger, then it might just drive you nuts. It really doesn't matter which way you're facing during combat. You will swing/fire where the mouse cursor (green circle) is located.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

June 30th, 2020, 11:46
Another attempt to finish Divinity: OS2.
I simply cannot cope with the game's IMHO misplaced whimsical tone, so restarted AGAIN. Now I'm playing a solo Ifan assassin build, and will try to stay in role: e.g. a no-nonsense, lone wolf assassin on a mission. Will do lots of sneaking, and will stay out of silly side quests.
Am curious if the game is playable this way.

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

July 1st, 2020, 23:38
I've been sinking time into Dragon Age Inquisition. There's a lot to like about it, but all the fetching 5s of this and 10sof that and closing 3 portals there etc is getting a bit wearing. I'm invested enough to see it through, but I'm starting to look forward to just getting it finished.

Pongo

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

July 2nd, 2020, 00:48
I was playing the old but great Painkiller game, and recently went back to continue playing Deus Ex Human Revolution. This game is massive, especially to someone like me, who tends to investigate all the nooks and crannies in games. I already have 48 hours in gameplay time, and maybe still only about halfway through the game.

I did use a cheat where I got massive ammo for my favorite rifle in the game, because I got tired and annoyed at how I kept running out of ammo midway through a level. The game is a lot more fun now because I like playing it as a guns blazin' first person shooter instead of the stealth play style.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

July 2nd, 2020, 10:01
I have been playing Mass Effect 3. I had decided I didn't want to buy it originally because of all the issues it faced, and then forgot about it.

I got the Origin Basic game pass and the game is included, so I thought I might as well. I forgot so much about my decisions now though, but it's a fun game.

I feel like they could have improved on the RPG progression a bit more, which they tried doing by giving more skill variety, but maybe add some speech and stealth skills rather than all combat skills. Anyway, it's a fun game.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

July 2nd, 2020, 15:29
For personal reasons, and to avoid complete loss of credibility, I refuse to admit what game I'm playing now. All I will say is that the joxer won't like it.

pibbur whose credibility may already be gone since he was one of the few who actually completed MM9 (and to some degree liked it better than MMn, n=6,7,8)
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
+1:

July 2nd, 2020, 15:47
Originally Posted by duerer View Post
Another attempt to finish Divinity: OS2.
I simply cannot cope with the game's IMHO misplaced whimsical tone, so restarted AGAIN. Now I'm playing a solo Ifan assassin build, and will try to stay in role: e.g. a no-nonsense, lone wolf assassin on a mission. Will do lots of sneaking, and will stay out of silly side quests.
Am curious if the game is playable this way.
It is, mostly. There are a few spots that will require you to get temporary companions to solve puzzles but it's possible although playing as an undead is easier. I got to the end of chapter 3 that way. My problem with the game is the crazy loot/damage inflation near the end, plus the Source mechanism. I've never been able to finish it. I love the beginning but always end up rage quitting at the end.

fragonard

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

July 2nd, 2020, 17:48
Playing Celestian Tales - Old North followed by Celestian Tales - Realms Beyond.
--
“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!”

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

July 2nd, 2020, 17:52
Originally Posted by a pibbur View Post
For personal reasons, and to avoid complete loss of credibility, I refuse to admit what game I'm playing now. All I will say is that the joxer won't like it.
That'd be either World of Warcraft or Destiny/Anthem.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)

July 2nd, 2020, 18:30
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I have been playing Mass Effect 3. … Anyway, it's a fun game.
It is. A very competent midcore cover shooter with a cheesy storyline.
Do not treat it as an RPG (it is not) and do not expect serious story (it is late Bioware with the worst of space opera clichés ), and you'll be just fine.

Finally: the original "best ending"
Spoiler – SPOILER

is perfectly okay, don't break a sweat when you read comments such as "underwhelming", and "betrayed the series".

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

July 2nd, 2020, 19:50
Originally Posted by duerer View Post
It is. A very competent midcore cover shooter with a cheesy storyline.
Do not treat it as an RPG (it is not) and do not expect serious story (it is late Bioware with the worst of space opera clichés ), and you'll be just fine.

Finally: the original "best ending"
Spoiler – SPOILER

is perfectly okay, don't break a sweat when you read comments such as "underwhelming", and "betrayed the series".
Well I do consider it an rpg for my set of rpg criteria but I understand why some people wouldn't.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

July 8th, 2020, 14:55
Finished Deus Ex: Revision in 100 hours then went straight into DX Invisible War and finished that in 24. I totally agree with a Steam review that says everything that is wrong with DX:IW stems from it being designed for consoles. Graphics a big step up from the original, but everything else is reduced: truncated story, skills AWOL, small maps. I will play Human Revolution and Mankind Divided soon but for now I'm making my son happy by playing through Borderlands 1, and Pre-Sequel.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:

July 11th, 2020, 17:48
Mass Effect 3 is amazing and i have been playing this game since i am working from home.

JosephStallone

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 11th, 2020, 17:59
I am just planning to start Overcooked 2. I have heard alot about this game.

JosephStallone

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 11th, 2020, 20:31
Sword Legacy: Omen (2018), one of my prizes from the RPGWatch raffle.

It's a linear mission-based game that kinda-is and kinda-isn't an RPG kinda-thing. You have a good roster of characters, all of which have their own level-up system, but they're all pre-designed and there's no player input into character creation. They go on adventures, but it's via very tightly controlled missions that it calls quests, like, it says "start quest?" and click yes, and you walk around a very short map, learn a bit of story and fight a couple of set-piece combat encounters and it says "quest completed" and takes you back to a management screen, where you can shop, level-up and etc.

Somewhat awkwardly there's no save slots. You can just press save and exit the game, it's one of those games where you find 'save-points' in the game world during quest (missions). It also saves automatically outside of quests.

I've done quite a few quests so far and so far it's enjoyable enough and at this point I'm not regretting my key-choice in the raffle and am actually quite happy indeed. So far, of course.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

July 11th, 2020, 22:08
Originally Posted by JosephStallone View Post
I am just planning to start Overcooked 2. I have heard alot about this game.
Is it me or this smells like a mmo advertising bot?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?