Blade Runner Enhanced Edition - Cinematic Update - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Blade Runner Enhanced Edition - Cinematic Update

Default Blade Runner Enhanced Edition - Cinematic Update

September 7th, 2020, 22:23
Nightdive Studios has released a video of the currently in development Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition.

loading…

Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition is currently in development.
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

September 7th, 2020, 22:37
That barely looks different. What's the point other than maybe giving people fewer hoops to jump through to run it on modern systems.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

September 7th, 2020, 22:40
Yeah I'm struggling to see the difference as well.

Pongo

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
+1:

September 7th, 2020, 23:13
I was going to say the same but I looked closer and it's clearly less jittery and the graphics are smoother.

If I play it in the future I'd definitely play the enhanced version. Its easier on my eyes.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

September 7th, 2020, 23:44
I think the old resolution looks a lot better (and more appropriate for the setting). What's the point of 4k if all your textures look like smooth, plastic Playdoh? It makes the game look like something from DoubleFine.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

September 8th, 2020, 02:29
She looks like a plastic Barbie Doll in the enhanced version.
--
“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!”

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

September 8th, 2020, 09:39
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
That barely looks different. What's the point other than maybe giving people fewer hoops to jump through to run it on modern systems.
To make money?

largh

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

September 8th, 2020, 10:40
I don't remember the game being that deep in Uncanny Valley…

Irian

Atheistic Pirate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 8th, 2020, 12:07
For me, one of the best adventure games ever. Great story, advanced gameplay mechanics based on clue gathering and analysis. And while I wouldnt mention implementation of action-gameplay and real-time world progression as highlights,
it did not kill the game, which actually is kind of a highlight.

Pre-rendered backgrounds were beautifull and full of atmosphere. Characters, on the other hand, were created with voxels and I consider them as one of biggest weaknesses of the game. I remember myself hating that design at time of release. Today, when re-playing game released on GOG, I dont think its so terrible. Must be influence of adventure games development through last 2 decades … FMV, early 3D, Telltale low-cost 3D, etc. The list could go on. Anything looks good after that.

Based on this update, I would not invest in the enhanced edition. Just smoothing-out old graphics makes it look worse then original. Didnt buy Day Of The Tentacle for same reason. That beautiful pixel graphics mutilated by some automatic smoothening process. It just takes soul of the game away and gives nothing instead.

Andrew23

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 8th, 2020, 12:09
They seem to be using an AI upscale to try and "improve" the graphics/video, but the settings seem a bit off - it's tending to lose detail as it tries to clean up pixelation/grain. This means that wrinkles, facial hair and other details are getting lost in the noise reduction, giving an overly "plastic" look which is less apparent in the low-res originals.

Obviously this is a huge challenge, because re-constructing video from such low quality originals is a huge challenge. Plus, the original was purposely grainy to capture the feel of the movie. A very challenging project, for sure, but I can't help feeling that they need to spend a bit more time on the quality slider, and maybe aim for 1080p/30fps rather than 4k/60, with less noise reduction.

Edit - at present this seems to be an inherent side-effect of the video AI process. I re-watched the FF7 AI upscale intro video, and whilst it seems good (arguably better than this), it still loses some of the more subtle detail that existed beneath (or was implied by) the dithers and compression effects of the original video.

Irien

Watchdog
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 9th, 2020, 04:47
Aw man, I thought it was a stereoscopic 3D video!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

September 9th, 2020, 17:20
Was an awesome game when it came out. But pixel-hunting…

ChaosTheory

Virtual Reality Hero
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

September 9th, 2020, 18:32
--
"An era can be considered over when its basic illusions have been exhausted." Arthur Miller

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Blade Runner Enhanced Edition - Cinematic Update