Wasteland 3 - Review Roundup - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 3 - Review Roundup

Default Wasteland 3 - Review Roundup

August 26th, 2020, 21:53
Here are the first reviews for the upcoming Wasteland 3:

DualShockers: Score: 9/10 "Improving on its predecessor in almost every way, Wasteland 3 is one of the best and most reactive RPGs I've played in a long time."

Eurogamer: Recommended. "inXile's old-school RPG is the Fallout game we've been craving."

GamesRadar: Score: 4/5 "A terrifically executed RPG that rewards player investment."

PC Gamer: Score: 84/100 "A wilfully strange setting explored through a predictable but enjoyable old school RPG that's been streamlined just enough."

PCGamesN: Score: 9/10 "Lurid characters, a deep RPG system, and captivating combat set in an unhinged apocalypse - inXile Entertainment's latest shouldn't be missed."

Wccftech: Score: 9/10 "Wasteland 3 features everything only the best role-playing games do: an engaging story powered by excellent writing, compelling characters, tons of customization options, and a deep tactical combat system that feels fresh even after dozens of hours."

Windows Central: Score: 5/5 "Wasteland 3 is breaking new ground like its predecessors, over thirty years later. This RPG masterpiece has so much stuff you'll struggle to see it all, even with multiple playthroughs. Unmissable instant CRPG classic."

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 00:27
I got a major boner for this one

domein

Vintage Brewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 00:43
I second that. Good to see the reviews are mostly positive.
--
“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!”

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 01:01
Microsoft's official gaming site also posted a new article.

Wasteland 3 - Character Customization Overview - Xbox Wire
In Wasteland 3, a journey of (at least) 80 hours begins with a single… character select screen. This isn’t an exaggeration; as soon as you start a new game and watch the opening cinematic, you’re immediately staring at Yuri and Spence, two of the pre-rolled Rangers you can start your adventure with.

This is a big decision, as you’ll be spending dozens upon dozens of hours with these characters. So as someone who’s been taking these pre-built characters out for a spin, as well as rolling a few of my own, here’s what I’ve learned.

The pre-rolls are safe picks, and there’s no harm in choosing from them. Looking at the myraid traits and abilities, you may not know what these elements are (especially more esoteric stuff like “Weird Science”). So even if you think you want to run with a pre-roll duo, it’s worth poking around the character creator just to learn more about different Attributes, Skills, and Quirks, so you can optimize these characters as they level up.
Also beware of spoilers in those reviews.
--
“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!”

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

+1:

August 27th, 2020, 01:08
Downloading now. Even at $5/month, I was skeptical about Microsoft's Game Pass for PC. No longer. I hope to be enjoying this game soon, and I'm already enjoying the new and expensive MS Flight Simulator.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 01:11
More Reviews as well. All mostly positive as well.

Ars Technica
Attack of the Fanboy 4.5/5
CGMagazine 9/10
COGconnected 90/100
Digital Trends 4/5
Game Revolution 4/5
GameSkinny 9/10
GameWatcher 8.5/10
GamingTrend 95/100
God is a Geek 9.5/10
PC Invasion 8.5/10
Player 2 A
Screen Rant 4/5
Shacknews 9/10
The Indie Game Website 9/10
TheGamer 5/5
Trusted Reviews 4/5
Xbox Achievements 75/100
--

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

August 27th, 2020, 01:13
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
Downloading now. Even at $5/month, I was skeptical about Microsoft's Game Pass for PC. No longer. I hope to be enjoying this game soon, and I'm already enjoying the new and expensive MS Flight Simulator.
I was talked into joining last month and I agree. If you don't want own the game and don't care about DLC then its a great bargain at that low price to play new games.
--

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

August 27th, 2020, 01:22
Also a good way to try out games you aren't sure you want to buy yet. I'll be buying MSFS 2020 later for sure. We'll see about Wasteland 3. I enjoyed The Outer Worlds for what it was, but I didn't bother buying that one. Haven't bought Phoenix Point yet, either. Maybe on that one later, if they round it out a bit better.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 01:30
Added to my wishlist… but I still worry. InXile hasn't been doing all that well by me lately.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 03:08
Totally blown away by the scores. I actually shed a few tears of joy seeing them roll in this morning. I had hoped for good things but didn't expect such an overwhelmingly positive response.

sea

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 03:25
Originally Posted by sea View Post
Totally blown away by the scores. I actually shed a few tears of joy seeing them roll in this morning. I had hoped for good things but didn't expect such an overwhelmingly positive response.
You guys deserve all the phrase based on the various videos and articles. As Wasteland 3 is very much improved over Wasteland 2. Guess the delays were the right decision.

Can't wait to see what inXile's next game is with Microsoft. As we know Obsidian's already. Just don't go third-person open world on us. I'm kidding I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Also tell Brian please don't go the full online route either.
--

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

August 27th, 2020, 03:29
Nice ratings. Hopefully it won't require too much patching.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 03:30
Originally Posted by sea View Post
The reviews seem even more positive than the scores, from the various bits and pieces I read of a couple dozen of them. It has the vibe of a 90%+ game. Congratulations, and I can't wait for this weekend!

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 06:29
Hmmm I have this on game pass and I backed it…I am a crazy man.

Loving the high scores it's getting, much better then I expected.

Can't download it yet on steam
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 10:14
Wasteland 3 (among Cyberpunk 2077 and Ghost of Tsushima) was on my top most awaited games for ths year. Ghost of Tsushima delivered. Wasteland 3 looks like it will. And it would be a huge disapointment if Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't fulfill my expectations.

If I add some unexpected surpises for me (Troubleshooters and Pathfinder Kingmaker with turn based combat), this is a great year for gaming. For me, at least.

I think I will buy Wasteland 3 on another platform, although I got GamePass to play Flight Simulator on my PC. But I didn't manage to play a single minute of it, because it just crashes to desktop for no apparent reason. I've even updated windows to see if that was the problem, but no luck. It just crashes when it's about to finish loading a fly scenario. Once, I got to actual gameplay, but before I could start the taking off sequence, it just crashed to desktop, with no error message. I've updated graphic card's drivers, tried to turn off anti-virus and even not having Edge browser open (a couple times, when the game crashed, Edge browser crashed too).
Last edited by Gwendo; August 27th, 2020 at 10:38.

Gwendo

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 11:05
Be sure to post some first impressions! Don't have time ot play this just yet but would love to hear from you watchers

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

August 27th, 2020, 13:11
received the key from FIG, yet i will not play the game yet. First a patch or two
--
Everyone thinks i am crazy, but i am just adjusting to my environment.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPGWatcher
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 13:15
Joxer, when are we setting up our co-op game?
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 13:50
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
Joxer, when are we setting up our co-op game?
To Joxer, two is a crowd, a MMO
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
Last edited by henriquejr; August 28th, 2020 at 00:20. Reason: Changed For -> To

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)

August 27th, 2020, 14:23
Couldn't get an early copy despite trying so hard. But saved the next few days just for this. I wish there was a preload option on Steam.
--
A failed Kickstarter RPG

yemeth

Watchdog

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 3 - Review Roundup