The Waylanders - Preview

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Jake Randall checked out The Waylanders:

The Waylanders (PC) - Featured Game of the Month June 2020 - (Dragon Age Origins Style RPG)

A full look at my first impressions playing The Waylanders on PC. This real time strategy RPG features a story rooted in Celtic history and mythology presented with some of the best voice acting I have ever heard in a video gaming. There are some issues in the early access build though.
More information.

beware spoilers, imo at least.

I don't know this youtuber but the concept of early access seems to elude him and he doesn't seem real familiar with RTWP. regardless this is a title I'm looking forward to and will be picking up.

There have been some allegations about the developer creating multiple steam accounts to give the game positive reviews

Here's a thread.

Normally, I'd give a developer the benefit of the doubt for something where there isn't any solid evidence. However, considering this developer's history, I'm inclined to think it could be true.

thanks, 2 threads with links to a couple accounts and one of the accounts has 105 hours and 75 achievements in CS. Could still be a dev account but doesn't seem to be made just to pump scores. I didn't find any credible sites posting the news, maybe that will come.

Personally if it's a good game I don't really care. I never have and never will buy a game because of scores. I don't go to metacritic and I very very rarely read steam reviews. I know what kind of games I like and often can make a purchase decision on a feature list and a couple screen shots.

Besides if I only bought stuff from companies I thought were ethical I wouldn't have much stuff.

Even if you're OK giving this shady company money, unless you've got money to burn, I'd suggest holding off until it's out of Early Access. I think it is very likely that they put the game on EA in such a shoddy state because they ran out of funds.

Also, they have abandoned their previous Kickstarter game (sent backers an update right before launching the Waylanders KS though saying it was coming Summer of 2018). Then when silent again. So I think there's a good chance Waylanders will be abandoned.

Last edited:
thanks, 2 threads with links to a couple accounts and one of the accounts has 105 hours and 75 achievements in CS. Could still be a dev account but doesn't seem to be made just to pump scores. I didn't find any credible sites posting the news, maybe that will come.

Personally if it's a good game I don't really care. I never have and never will buy a game because of scores. I don't go to metacritic and I very very rarely read steam reviews. I know what kind of games I like and often can make a purchase decision on a feature list and a couple screen shots.

Besides if I only bought stuff from companies I thought were ethical I wouldn't have much stuff.

Obviously, it's up to individual to make their own judgement. I wasn't particularly interested in this game from the beginning and this news did little to change my mind. But if you (@sakichop) ever try it out and feel its a good game, please let me know.

This game definitely failed to catch my my interest. But if Im wrong and the game is good at the time of release, Im more then willing to get it.

The guy commenting on it in video is super-weirdo by the way, definitely not source of information I would choose.

The guy commenting on it in video is super-weirdo by the way, definitely not source of information I would choose.

Yeah, never heard of the guy, but that blurb at the beginning definitely sounds like a bought advertisement. The guy clearly has no idea what a CRPG is and is just name-dropping BG.

Looks good but waiting for final release.

Why are you bashing the tuber? He has his preferences like everyone else. He likes isometric rpgs à la BG and I endorse that.

Story: written by international acclaimed scriptwriters: Emily Grace Buck (Lead Writer) and Mike Laidlaw (Consultant)

Wouldn't be the first time they paid for advertisement and then claimed it never happened :)

Even if you're OK giving this shady company money, unless you've got money to burn, I'd suggest holding off until it's out of Early Access. I think it is very likely that they put the game on EA in such a shoddy state because they ran out of funds.

Also, they have abandoned their previous Kickstarter game (sent backers an update right before launching the Waylanders KS though saying it was coming Summer of 2018). Then when silent again. So I think there's a good chance Waylanders will be abandoned.

I’m not rich but I’ve got 60 bucks to burn. However I’d prefer not to burn it. I wouldn’t have time to get to it for a while anyway so I’ll keep an eye on early access.

If it seems it’s going in a positive direction I’ll pick it up. If it languishes in EA purgatory then I’ll pass. From what I’ve seen they’ve put in quite a bit of work and have the makings of a good game if they polish it up and finish it.

We will see, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom