Stellar Tactics - Gameplay Trailer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
It looks sort of terrible how it plays out the entire attack animation before the enemy reacts.

eg. That first automatic burst is from 2m away, he fires about 10 rounds and when its over the enemy goes "ugh!" and damage appears. Ruins the feel of the combat, imo.

The combat demo I played many months ago turned me right off the entire game (though I'm also not a fan of the real-time ship combat). Was incredibly slow, clunky and awful.

The combat demo I played many months ago turned me right off the entire game (though I'm also not a fan of the real-time ship combat). Was incredibly slow, clunky and awful.

Why would they have real time combat in a turn based game?

SirJames - That small clip is actually quite old. I should replace it. A recent patch changed the way hit animations are played based on the distance of the weapon to the target. Not perfect, but much better.

screeg - Forever you haunt me with comments from a demo you played over a year ago. There have been many hundreds of bug fixes/improvements since then. https://steamcommunity.com/app/465490/discussions/0/343787283753661833/

wolfing - The space combat and ground combat systems are separate though your team members progress in all combat skill lines (space and ground combat). Who is to say that you cannot mix RTwP and turn based combat. It actually works quite well according to many people who have played the actual game ;) Also there is no they, there is just me. Give the game a try...whats the worst thing that could happen?

I do fully intend on giving this one a try, I've had my eye on it for quite a while now, the current state of my backlog from holiday presents will likely keep me busy for a bit longer, but I will circle back for this. Glad to see you maintaining a presence here, Ser Tactics =)

wolfing - The space combat and ground combat systems are separate though your team members progress in all combat skill lines (space and ground combat). Who is to say that you cannot mix RTwP and turn based combat. It actually works quite well according to many people who have played the actual game ;) Also there is no they, there is just me. Give the game a try…whats the worst thing that could happen?

Perhaps it works great for other people, but I personally hate real time combat so knowing there is real time combat in the game removes my interest in it even though I love turn based games.

Only the ship combat is real time. Of course, unlike Nexus TJI or Homeworld, this game seems locked to a 2D plane.

Considering the game is still in Early Access I really like what I see in the trailer and I will certainly follow its development. I just hope it won't be abandoned halfway through like so many other games that started out full of promise.

SirJames - That small clip is actually quite old. I should replace it. A recent patch changed the way hit animations are played based on the distance of the weapon to the target. Not perfect, but much better.

Good to know!

I'm quite interested in this game. It's an excellent concept and very ambitious!

Silver - I really appreciate you posting the video here. I updated all the space segments of the video to show space combat, incursions and turret based mining etc. So yes, the video is new, however there are a few older short clips related to ground combat in this video that I recorded several months ago. I'll update those when I get some time. I wish there was a way to replace videos on Youtube.

Carnifex - I know what you mean. I just wish I had more time to play some of the games in my backlog.

wolfing - I understand

Dilvish - The game is fully 3D even in space. You can fly up/down and anywhere you want to go.

Last edited:
Silver - I really appreciate you posting the video here. I updated all the space segments of the video to show space combat, incursions and turret based mining etc.

Dilvish - The game is fully 3D even in space. You can fly up/down and anywhere you want to go.

Hello, Mr Stellar Architect. :) Can I ask something?

What tactical options do you have in space combat? Is it a lot simplier compared to ground combat? Can I pause while in space combat? Can I outmanoeuvre some slow ships (if ships have vastly different speed and maneuverability)?

Hi Farflame!

Combat is turret based. There are three key elements to space combat - range, power and shields. You will manage each of these. You also have the ability to highly customize each of the 40 available ships. This guide explains space combat in detail:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1239665795

You can pause while in space combat at any time.

You can outmaneuver slower ships. All ships can be upgraded in a number of ways with various tiers of equipment. In particular your ships mass and your warp drive determine your ships maximum speed as well as your skill in piloting. All team members are assigned to stations on the ship. Slower ships tend to have more base armor and usually better power management. A smaller faster ship can use beam turrets effectively keeping more range, lowering the damage output of heavier and more powerful ships. Ship turret types have various benefits.

Space combat is never forced - you can always escape if you want to. You can also disable incursion missions or cancel them at any time. In essence, you do not need to engage in space combat at all if you do not want to. However, the rewards in faction, cash and loot for space combat are well worth the time.

@StellarTactics; _sorry for the haunting! But the newer combat videos (and the real time ship combat, which as you can see does turn off some people) aren't really pushing me to give it another chance.

The good news is hardly anyone cares about my opinion! All the best.

Hi Farflame!

Combat is turret based. There are three key elements to space combat - range, power and shields. You will manage each of these. You also have the ability to highly customize each of the 40 available ships. This guide explains space combat in detail:

You can pause while in space combat at any time.

Well if you can pause real time combat at any time it's not that bad, it's like how I play RTwP RPGs like Pillars of Eternity, I pause so much it might as well be turn based.

Thanks for your answer.

Space combat is never forced - you can always escape if you want to. You can also disable incursion missions or cancel them at any time. In essence, you do not need to engage in space combat at all if you do not want to.

Does it mean that enemy ships can never ambush you while exploring space? Ship combat is only tied to missions?

Farflame - Ship combat is not only tied to missions. You can attack any ship. Hostile ships will attack you.

Enemy ships are roaming the entire universe and they are all aligned with factions. When the universe is initially generated at the start of a new game, factions are assigned to each of the million or so systems that are created. Ships launched from those systems have various tasks and roam the universe - anarchy, combat, trade, mining etc.

By default, Raiders, Scavvers, Phage and several other factions are red or hostile. You can see enemy ships as you travel around in systems and their indicator labels let you know if they are hostile, neutral or aligned. Scanning ships provides detailed information about faction, loaded equipment and turrets etc. Nearing any hostile ship triggers combat.

The areas around stations are neutral. For a period of time, after a hostile ship launches, if you are in the vicinity, they will ignore you. Otherwise they will attack. Destroying friendly ships could align you with hostile factions. You can manipulate your current faction any way you want through your actions, aligning with hostile factions or with some of the less hostile factions - its entirely up to you.

If you destroy a ship, you will see your faction standing change based on the alignment of warring or hostile factions in the universe. Factions go beyond space. Taking ground based missions for factions allows you to earn tokens so you can buy legendary and epic equipment from special merchants. I'll be adding this system to space combat (tokens/gear) in a future patch.

You can always escape an attacking enemy ship by engaging your micro-warp drive. Once you are far enough away from a hostile ship, they will return to their previous mission/task.

Back
Top Bottom